Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

Ferro and Logen having a child was a little fat-fetched given the timeline. They 'broke up' at the end of BTAH, which took place at "the birth of spring". And then we see Ferro around during the battle of Adua, that takes place in autumn. From March to October, that means that Ferro would be at least 7 months pregnant when we last see her. Possibly more. It's not impossible, but I findit hard to swallow.

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

Ferro and Logen having a child was a little fat-fetched given the timeline. They 'broke up' at the end of BTAH, which took place at "the birth of spring". And then we see Ferro around during the battle of Adua, that takes place in autumn. From March to October, that means that Ferro would be at least 7 months pregnant when we last see her. Possibly more. It's not impossible, but I findit hard to swallow.

But they were having sex for more than just that one time after the collapse (Jezal hears them shagging after that).  It seems like they're probably still doing it on their trip back, which happens between books two and three.  I don't remember the timeline that well, but it seems like if Ferro got pregnant sometime on the way back to Adua that she might only be like 3-5 months along at the end of LAOK, which seems possible. 

Or am I remembering wrong?  Did Ferro and Logen both take the boat trip back to Adua after BTAH?

@Maithanet

My memory is not very good, and it's been ages since my last reread. I recalled that we had discussed this in this forums and this point was brought up.

The end of BTAH was early spring. But if they had continued together in trip back to Adua, then they could have had a child. It's something to pay attention to in the rereads that are due this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished my reread on Sunday. I feel foolish for being done so early; we still have 8 more months left! It gives me time to attempt to reread The Witchwood Crown before Empire of Grass is released, I suppose...

I found that Before They Are Hanged, The Heroes and Red Country improved the most on a reread. I'm less interested in plotting in rereads, so I was able to have a greater appreciation of the humor and thematic work in these books. I loved how Bethod's forces were humanized in The Heroes. As it turns out, they weren't all that different from the central Northerners in the original trilogy. 

The growth Abercrombie showed throughout the series is great. The spinoffs are worlds apart from The Blade Itself in terms of prose. It will always boggle my mind how The Blade Itself often shows up on lists celebrating the top books in the genre rather than Last Argument of Kings or one of the spinoffs...

I would love to learn more about Cosca's expedition to the North that he alludes to in Red Country. It indicates that Calder may be opening up the North to the rest of the Circle of the World. I can't help but feel that hostilities broke out between Calder and Dogman during this timeframe. Calder was willing to rise against Dow; would he be willing to do the same against Bayaz?

As of the final story in Sharp Ends chronologically (Tough Times All Over, which takes place two years after Red Country), it seems that the unified Old Empire and Styria under Monza could be rivals to the Gurkish and the Union. This makes the focus on the Union and the North in the sequel trilogy surprising to me. Before I read Abercrombie's comments, I would have been willing to bet that Styria would be a major player in the new series. Thond might also be a contender, as Carcolf was looking to deliver the package in Tough Times All Over there. I also felt that Three's A Crowd implied that Javre was being sent on a quest to get the Seed from Bayaz. Since Shev and Javre won't be in the sequel trilogy (breaks my heart), however, Thond's likelihood of being important probably isn't all that high.

Some of the themes introduced in Red Country appear like they're going to be developed further in the sequel trilogy. Cosca's remarks on the fading away of the fantastical and the rise of modern capitalism to Waerdinur definitely feels like foreshadowing for the industrialization Abercrombie is going to explore.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, red snow said:

We should publicise when we are doing the reread as i may as well try and do my reread with the group. Be a good chance to go over things with a fine comb.

I'd certainly participate in a reread. A Little Hatred will come out on September 2019. Going backwards, a potential schedule could be:

• August: Sharp Ends
  • July: Red Country
  • June: The Heroes
  • May: Last Argument of Kings
  • April: Best Served Cold
  • March: Before They Are Hanged
  • February: The Blade Itself

So, we'd start in a week. Anyone else would be interested?

5 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I'd certainly participate in a reread. A Little Hatred will come out on September 2019. Going backwards, a potential schedule could be:

I'm down, but why BSC before LAoK?

7 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm down, but why BSC before LAoK?

I'm also interested.

19 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I think a month per book works well as it gives an amount of leniency regarding pace and hopefully allows us to read other things. I'll give it a spin. Kind of scary we have to start next week but works as a countdown to the release.

I was planning a reread too so I'd be happy to join in. Be interested to see how TBI holds up, as I recall it being significantly weaker and only really getting into the series with the second book (luckily I bought the trilogy as a bundle so didn't drop it!)

Archived