Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, so Joe is also creating Terminators? I keep up for the most part on upcoming movie gossip, especially for genre stuff, but I had no idea that he was in a Writers Room for the new Terminator movie, and had a significant part in coming up with the main good-guy terminator lady.

“Before we brought in screenwriters, we did a room with novelists at my request because they’re world builders and we’re reinventing the franchise. One was Joe Abercrombie [the First Law series], who pointed out that the Terminator films tend to have a trinity of main characters. One of those is the protector, the Kyle Reese character. Joe came out with this idea that a new protector from the future is a machine fighter. It’s a painful life, and they’re scarred and take a lot of drugs to combat the pain of what’s been done to them. They don’t live a long time. It’s a very sacrificial role; they risk death to save others. And from the very first suggestion it was always a woman. We had to look for someone who has the physicality, but I’m very sensitive to actors. I didn’t just want a woman who could physically fit the role but emotionally as well. Mackenzie really wanted to do it; she came after the role. She worked harder than anybody.”

Further research has shown me that this news came out over a week ago, and the r/firstlaw subreddit already found it. Pretty neat - I think Joe's writing talents might translate quite well onto screen. Go Joe!

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Further research has shown me that this news came out over a week ago, and the r/firstlaw subreddit already found it. Pretty neat - I think Joe's writing talents might translate quite well onto screen. Go Joe!

Even more importantly it could mean that we finally get another good Terminator movie!  (I did really like the trailer for it - noted in the trailer thread in Entertainment.  Wish they would have hired some of those novelists to actually work on the movie itself...)

I wouldn't continue to derail except it's now Joe's character's movie we are talking about:P 

I agree that the trailer was far better crafted than that last one with the weird name that uncanny valley Arnold appeared in. I fast forwarded almost that entire movie and it still seemed a waste of time. I am in the minority that I somewhat enjoyed the Christian Bale/ Sam Woodenton (cough) dystopia one. Anyways, this trailer had solid pacing and what looked to be some really satisfying action scenes.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, Ran said:

That's really interesting. Curious to see if any of the writers in that room end up selling stories for S2 of Love, Death, + Robots... 

That's a really good shout given the creator/producer crossover. Joe would have to do something new for LDR as I don't think his existing books fit. Although a short story from the new trilogy might work as it's seemingly more steam punk and could fit in with shorts like the one set in china with.

It also means he's getting himself in places where they might start looking at his work. Another reason to hope the new terminator is good.

I've found it hard to not imagine Jezal as Steve from "stranger things" since watching season 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, red snow said:

It's a shame that Joe, who is surely fairly high in sales success, can't justify a signing tour. I guess the industry is such that only those with film/tv deals can do them now.

Maybe you will be able to catch him at a convention some time

It's been nearly 7 years since the release of his last adult fantasy novel. I guess Orbit wants to wait and see if Abercrombie can still put asses in the seats before committing to a promo tour.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:23 PM, Consigliere said:

It's mentioned in Red Country that Monza had taken Sipani and in Sharp Ends (Three's a Crowd) it's mentioned that Monza outmaneuvered The Union both politically and militarily, stripped away their allies and defeated them three times in the field.

ETA. Tunny, Forest and Yolk appear in that chapter as well. The Union army were heading back home after being soundly beaten.

Yep, those three wars left the Union pretty much broke and woefully unprepared to deal with any other conflict. That's the political backdrop of A Little Hatred.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:26 AM, The hairy bear said:

Vick is probably the daughter of Sepp dan Teufel, tortured by Glokta and sent to Angland. (Joe said that we'd have 3 female POVs, and 5 where children from known characters).

She is.

6 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

It's been nearly 7 years since the release of his last adult fantasy novel. I guess Orbit wants to wait and see if Abercrombie can still put asses in the seats before committing to a promo tour.

He has announced one in the UK but I get the impression he's as big in the UK as he is in the US - maybe bigger?

Maybe they'll give him a push if book 1 does well. I guess a promo tour isn't as good at selling books as say a good advertising campaign? Maybe a tour is the kind of thing that's only worth adding x% on sales if it's already very high.

For a North American tour, they'd need to fly him across the pond and fly him across the USA/Canada. Which is way more expensive than having him take the train across the UK. 

He was an NYT bestselling author back when he released those three stand-alone First Law novels. We have no idea how many readers will show up early on for A Little Hatred. If Abercrombie pulls a Scott Lynch and the book does what The Republic of Thieves did, then it's all good. If the long wait results in poor numbers like Stephen R. Donaldson's The Runes of the Earth, it will be a different story.

It'll be interesting from a sales/creative approach point to see how the new book fares. Is it better to have books out every 1-2 years than having to wait 5 years [i know shattered seas and sharp objects were released in between] in order to get a trilogy released over 2 years? Guess we'll know when the trilogy ends. Might be one where the "a little hatred" has sales spikes whenever the next installments drop assuming the series is popular and lapsed/new readers jump on board.

I completely understand the logic from a creative point of having the "delay" (it's not really a delay if he's been writing 3 books) and think it will result in a better product. So if there is any pain in sales from being off the radar, i imagine it will be short term if the trilogy is of higher quality.

Maybe Joe shouldn't have rationally explained the wait? A little bit of outrage along the lines of "why are you writing your blog/playing video games/watching film and TV/consulting on terminator films instead of WRITING the next BOOK?!!!" would have helped ensure people don't forget about him/the series. Although taking that amount of shit probably isn't worth it!

On 8/1/2019 at 4:07 AM, red snow said:

Maybe Joe shouldn't have rationally explained the wait? A little bit of outrage along the lines of "why are you writing your blog/playing video games/watching film and TV/consulting on terminator films instead of WRITING the next BOOK?!!!" would have helped ensure people don't forget about him/the series. Although taking that amount of shit probably isn't worth it!

Yeah, that worked rather well for Rothfuss and GRRM! ;)

31 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Yeah, that worked rather well for Rothfuss and GRRM! ;)

No one forgets about them. I guess it'll be interesting to see how Rothfuss fares after such a long gap and no tv show. Although there may be a tv prequel show out by then to boost/reignite interest.

Just finished A Little Hatred.

Not as self-contained and satisfying as Best Served Cold, The Heroes, or Red Country, what with it being the first volume in a brand new trilogy, but it sets the stage for plenty of fireworks!

Rejoice, for Lord Grimdark is back and kicking ass!

Review coming soon. . . :)

6 hours ago, red snow said:

No one forgets about them. I guess it'll be interesting to see how Rothfuss fares after such a long gap and no tv show. Although there may be a tv prequel show out by then to boost/reignite interest.

I don't think there's evidence that the perpetual outrage increases sales, and these three examples are three of the most successful authors in the field, and in Rothfuss' and Lynch's case, have been since their first book. And not to mention that Martin has been greatly helped and kept in the public eye by an incredibly successful TV show. Their situation (and Lynch's) are also different than Abercrombie's, who is releasing a whole new trilogy, not the next book in a series that will resolve cliffhangers and plot threads from the last book. Abercrombie could have stopped with this world after publishing The Last Argument of Kings, or Best Served Cold, or Heroes, or Red Country. They all have endings, unlike ADWD and Wise Man's Fear and Republic of Thieves. 

Anyway, I've always been very grateful to Abercrombie for his detailed blog posts and his openness with his fans about what he's working on and how it's going.

On 30 July 2019 at 10:05 PM, Lord Patrek said:

Yep, those three wars left the Union pretty much broke and woefully unprepared to deal with any other conflict. That's the political backdrop of A Little Hatred.

She is.

The Union's foreign policy is relentlessly aggressive, and Terez obviously has a score to settle with Monza.

Savine Dan Glokta is described as "corrupt and morally bankrupt" - I can't wait to read about her.

I wonder how well cannon have been integrated into the Union Navy.

If they were in the lead developing the technology, they should’ve had a huge advantage in naval engagements for a good bit. 

Edit: Actually, they seem to be advancing faster than we did at that stage. It seems they should quickly pass over Napoleonic Era type ships and head straight into ironclads.  

4 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Just finished A Little Hatred.

Not as self-contained and satisfying as Best Served Cold, The Heroes, or Red Country, what with it being the first volume in a brand new trilogy, but it sets the stage for plenty of fireworks!

Rejoice, for Lord Grimdark is back and kicking ass!

Review coming soon. . . :)

That's great to hear. Look forward to reading the review.

Archived