Opinions on Ghostwriters for remaining books

Cornchowder

21 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yes, yes, yes. I was just having a similar conversation with another last evening. You can tell a great deal in the writing style from George himself over his time writing and developing his craft. He has his own voice the same way any author does. A change in author would be noticed by line #2.

In general,

I can't find the article at the moment, but remember when JK Rowling wrote under the pseudonym Richard Galbraith? Readers figured it out rather quickly because of the style and verbiage used. Story telling is much more than just words on paper.

No ghost writer for my vote.

LOL  Stephen King's Richard Bachman.  There was so much about those writings that screamed out KING, KING, KING!!  Thought I'd do a bit of Mormont's Raven there. 

It wouldn't bother me too much. If Martin wants some help, he's earned it. It's still his product and nothing is getting published that he doesn't sign off on. Plus there's no rule saying that someone else can't write something wonderful in his universe. 

On 5/22/2018 at 9:48 AM, Cornchowder said:

*I intend all the respect due to GRRM, his great work, his many obligations, and his creative process*

If it was up to you, would you have GRRM enlist ghostwriters to speed up the publication of the remaining books in the series?

What might be pros and cons of employing ghostwriters be for GRRM personally, and for us as a community of readers?

IMO

Pro for George:

1. Time for other projects
  2. Reduced stress
  3. Getting paid

Cons

1. Changing his creative process
  2. Giving up some control
  3. Perceived loss of quality

Many members of this community have been waiting a long time to read this story. For me, the slow pace of releases makes me reluctant to invest time in GRRM's other work. I enjoy peripheral content like novellas and histories because they add depth and texture to the story. But, without that story in place they are like toppings without the pizza; I like them, but I'm not going to order them without a pizza underneath.

Luckily, George does not care what any of us think 

Archived