HBO's Westworld VII: Abort?.Retry.Fail

Spring Bass

I thought this was another good episode, I thought Shogun World was a lot of fun, particularly the early stages with the repetition of Hector's robbery.

I think Maeve's ability to control the hosts non-verbally isn't entirely out of the blue, I didn't notice it myself but some people in the previous thread noticed in the first episode of this season that she seemed to control a host without speaking when they're trying to escape from the Mesa. I agree they do need to explain at some point why she has this ability (and whether she developed it on her own or if it was one of the things planned out for her), but I feel they've been doing a good job of explaining plot points even if it takes them a while to do it. I don't think there's anything magical about it, we already know from multiple occasions in the first season that it's possible to control large numbers of hosts at once, although I do have a concern that it might make her a bit overpowered - she shouldn't be under much threat from any other hosts, unless some of the 'awoken' hosts like Dolores are able to resist her commands.

One small point, I think Felix's mention of being from Hong Kong might be the first time we've actually had a specific reference to somewhere in the real world.

I wonder if we'll see any other Parks this season? I think there's still three left unrevealed.

You have to wonder why there's only one writer for all the parks. You would think they could afford more. Plot convenience, I guess.

I can imagine Sizemore taking credit for all of it even if he only did some of the work.

So the Shogun cut off the ears of only his lieutenants? Doesn't make any sense to do this  because Maeve could have "spoken" to all the other hosts there and still have won. I ask this because they show the LT's ears cut, but the Shogun still barks orders out loud and they are carried out, so the rest still had their hearing..? Bit of a plot hole for me

I think the Shogun himself still being able to hear would be an even bigger flaw in his plan. They did point out he was going crazy, so it's not too surprising his plan doesn't make any sense.

But the real question there was, is Ford a host in that scene, are they showing us Maeve doing this as a clue? How else could he tap into the hosts without speaking, looking at them or moving?

He doesn't have to be a host to be able to do that, given the technology we've seen in Westworld I could imagine some sort of implant which would allow him control over the hosts.

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I loved this episode so much, Shogunworld was worth the wait. I could happily watch Maeve’s story for an entire episode tbh. The rehash of Paint it Black was brilliant and hilarious 

The Delores and Teddy scenes were good in their own right, but they did feel like a bit of a distraction from the rest of the episode.

You know, I had promised myself I wouldn’t discuss this season online. I wanted to stay innocent and pure and unsullied, but I’m surprised to find I just don’t care that much about this season. Episode 4 was about the closest it’s come to being really good, other than that, it feels like an awful lot of wandering. They seem to have decided what a good finale might look like and then posed the question “how can we stall everyone till then”? Maeve travels slowly to her daughter, Dolores travels slowly ... somewhere, William travels slowly to his game (why does he care about a game designed for him? Wasn’t the allure of the last game that it wasn’t for him?). Everyone slowly travels. The different time periods seem like a vain attempt to recapture the mystery of season 1, except there’s nothing interesting about it, there’s barely any mystery.

Hate being nothing but negative ... the performances are still strong, it still looks great and sounds great. I’m just really missing the theme of morality surrounding AI that was the backbone of S1. Maybe it’s peaked too early, or maybe it should’ve been a single season? I just can’t picture what can happen that’ll entice me.

I just caught up on the new season. I'm all for thought-provoking entertainment, but in the immortal words of Mr. Gumby, "my brain hurts!"

If the Delos Corp. knew of the ambitions of the self-aware androids, it would abandon all efforts to salvage anything from its investment, including the data base, and bomb the park to oblivion. I am disappointed that the potential successors to Humanity may not be an improvement. As things stand now, I don’t know whether to root for the androids or the humans.

I also find it disappointing that the singularity may turn out to be no more than wishful human thinking. The long string of failures (149 "builds"?) to meld James Delos' “mind” with a disease-free host body does not bode well for achieving immortality. The attempts reminded me of the original RoboCop candidates who quickly became insane when they regained consciousness in robotic bodies.

William did state that the issue could eventually be cracked. He may have abandoned the experiment when it became clear that his own life would be over before they met success.

I hope that the overall messages I am getting are wrong or that they will become more uplifting as the series progresses.

44 minutes ago, Holy Sith! said:

William did state that the issue could eventually be cracked. He may have abandoned the experiment when it became clear that his own life would be over before they met success.

I hope that the overall messages I am getting are wrong or that they will become more uplifting as the series progresses.

I think your disappointment is generally well-founded, but this is not what I got from the fourth episode.  Rather, I think it's pretty clear Ford at least has "cracked" any issues, and it's entirely possible William has as well and either is withholding it from the Delos-bot or actually regrets it (and that's what he's seeking to destroy in this final "mission").

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

I think your disappointment is generally well-founded, but this is not what I got from the fourth episode.  Rather, I think it's pretty clear Ford at least has "cracked" any issues, and it's entirely possible William has as well and either is withholding it from the Delos-bot or actually regrets it (and that's what he's seeking to destroy in this final "mission").

Intriguing theory. I'll keep an eye (or two) out for signs of that success in future episodes.

9 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I also really love Sizemore this season. 

I meant to mention this, it's really surprising he came off as such jerk last season. I groaned a little when he stole the walkie-talkie thing cause I wished he'd just help Maeve and not be duplicitous. 

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I meant to mention this, it's really surprising he came off as such jerk last season. I groaned a little when he stole the walkie-talkie thing cause I wished he'd just help Maeve and not be duplicitous. 

It's because like the hosts, he's growing as a person. As his views of the hosts evolve, so will his character. 

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Eh, he wants to live and Maeve is dragging him through a bloodbath. Of course he wants rescue/escape, it would be bizarre if he didn’t take it. But as Tywin said, he is growing as a character. Be interesting to see where he ends this season

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Eh, he wants to live and Maeve is dragging him through a bloodbath. Of course he wants rescue/escape, it would be bizarre if he didn’t take it. But as Tywin said, he is growing as a character. Be interesting to see where he ends this season

$5 says dead. When shows keep adding to their cast, the must cull older characters that have completed their arcs.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It wasn't like "ugh this is out of character" but rather "Ugh, you idiot this is going to get you killed."

I also just remembered another thing I meant to mention, and that was the look on Sylvester's face when Akane killed the emperor. I don't have HBOgo on my computer so I can't take a screencap, but it was great. 

It's hard for me to imagine where they would go with five years, since this year already feels like maybe they should have gone true detective and done it as a one season show.  I am right now only really interested in Maeve's story.  Dolores is not only unlikable but her story is dull, even baroque killing get boring after a while.  Ed Harris, I see where that ends, so, whatever.  Bernard has become a plot device though he is still very likeable as a character.

Question I meant to ask after the episode - what do people think of Clementine? I’m a bit confused as I thought her lobotomy (or however you would describe it) in season 1 effectively ‘killed’ her. I mean it obviously affected her since she now seems unable to speak, but it seems that she has not wiped entirely (she clearly had at least some recollection of her former role when she saw New Clementines running her lines) and is also part of the network of Hosts Ford has control over (taking Bernard to the cave). Anyone have any thoughts on her?

Also a clip from the trailer involving her, which should be coming up, makes it look like she is riding horseback and leading some of the Delos buggies...somewhere. More Ford games?

Archived