HBO's Westworld VII: Abort?.Retry.Fail

Spring Bass

Probably the best episode of the season so far for me. Much prefer when they have all the storylines running in the same ep instead of seperating it between episodes. 

Loved the samurai duel. Emily is great, really like her. Dolores seemingly already regrets turning Teddy. Having Anthony Hopkins back for an ep or two or whatever will be awesome. 

Tonight's episode seemed like your average mid-season episode.  Moved all the storylines along efficiently, but nothing really special going on.  Looks like that's all we'll get from shogun world this season.  May be in the minority, but I wasn't really a fan.  Liked how they're treating William/Emily, at least at the start.  She's just trying to have a mature relationship with him and he's a manchild dick that wants to die.  Wonder if Dolores is going to be forced to kill Teddy in the next couple episodes.

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

Anyone catch what song he was playing on the piano?  i thought it might have been Radiohead's Let Down but didn't think so on a re-listen. 

It’s very familiar but I don’t think it’s Let Down. I just went down a rabbit hole of music trying to figure it out too. 

Great episode. I like how Dolores is already having second thoughts about evil Teddy. 

The first half of this episode dragged for me: characters walking here, characters riding there and not much really happening. It was starting to remind of a damn Robert Jordan book. But wow did shit go down in the second. I don't know what was more awesome, Dolores and crew riding the train INTO the mesa ready for war or Anthony Hopkins appearing in that last scene. I was right about him still being a part of the show but very wrong on how. I never believed he was truly gone, especially when I considered the scene where he had Bernard kill Theresa and he uttered this epic line "Did you really think I would let you take it from me?". Given his God-Complex, I didn't think he could truly give up control of the park.

I was however wrong about the means in which he achieved his immortality. First I thought he built a host for himself that stood in for him when Dolores shot him. Then I thought he built that host as a means to download his consciousness into it using that orb that Bernard took from Delos' secret lab. Now it looks like he has in fact downloaded his consciousness into the park's database, as others have theorized. I'm just glad Anthony Hopkins is back, even if it's for a few episodes. It's funny, too, because last night I made special note that all season the opening credits for the main cast ended with "With Ed Harris". I'm sure next week's episode will have "With Ed Harris And Anthony Hopkins".

I'm now becoming obsessed with finding out who Ford made that host for. It's not Ford. I hadn't even considered that it could be Emily. I suspect that is a Red Herring, though. Ford probably isn't that petty.

10 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Looks like that's all we'll get from shogun world this season.  May be in the minority, but I wasn't really a fan.

For me, the reason I ''didn't'' like Shogun World was because we didn't see anyone in that world. We have a couple of host that were dropped in the middle of a storyline, but nothing really felt like actual people went there to relive that era. At least that's how I felt about it.

Speaking of music, Akane's dance music was C.R.E.A.M. It was bugging me last week that I couldn't identify it, but forgot to search it.

Some interesting reveals this week (Ford especially) with some nice action, especially the sword fight and the train loaded with explosives.

I'm getting a bit impatient with the Dolores Arc, although it was darkly amusing to see Changed Teddy unnerve her a little bit as well (and it certainly feels like he's got some resentment against her even in spite of the change). I wonder if he's going to backstab her at some point, try and usurp the rebellion from her (of course, knowing this show, she probably planted a code word to stop him if he tried).

It was nice seeing Ford again, although not really surprising - we've known he was a "ghost in the machine" ever since he first messed with William at the beginning of the season.

Four episodes left this season, and it looks like Dolores & Friends are hitting the Mesa next episode to grab Peter Abernathy and his Magic Data Hoard. No idea how they're going to get off the island, although either an ambush set in the "two weeks later" timeline or New-Bernard carrying them off the island in data form would be plausible as well.

An ok episode but I found myself getting bored a lot.

Shogun world was interesting for me largely in the sense the same characters and narratives were being used. Although I do wonder whether this limits players chances of playing in multiple world's? Eg this episode showed that man in black has at least played in Raj world but you think he'd be pretty bored playing in shogun world where the game's skin is only thing really changed.

I'm not even trying to be baited into whatever is going on with Bernard. It's odd how I'm holding the show's mysteries at arm's length this season.

Seemed a bit backwards how MiB's daughter went to Raj world for shits and giggles if her intent was to meet daddy o and rescue him? I'll put that down to bending the narrative to suit the show's revelations. I guess she could be a little nuts too and wanted a quick game in Raj world before getting to business.

54 minutes ago, Fall Bass said:

No idea how they're going to get off the island, although either an ambush set in the "two weeks later" timeline or New-Bernard carrying them off the island in data form would be plausible as well.

I'm pretty sure Penny finds them.

53 minutes ago, red snow said:

Seemed a bit backwards how MiB's daughter went to Raj world for shits and giggles if her intent was to meet daddy o and rescue him?

Way I remember it she said she simply went to the Raj because Charlotte was trying to get the whole family to show up for Ford's retirement, no?  Don't think she had prior knowledge of the host uprising, so don't see how her intent was to rescue daddy until that happened.

Ford as the ghost in the machine is where I thought and hoped they were going - it'll be interesting to see if his consciousness degrades or if he is the one who has worked out how to retain consciousness (where William has failed) or if he just wants to carry on long enough to completely screw up Delos Corp before the whole thing goes into meltdown.

Dolores doesn't like the consequences of her re-wiring Teddy - I'm interested to see just how wrong that will go for her (I hope very wrong :devil:).

I'm surprised Maeve didn't cotton on to her daughter having a new mother - that seems to be a chink in her supposed self-awareness (and why I'm still questioning that any of them are aware at all - I still believe it's all Ford's narrative).

I am interested in the hesitations that MiB is showing when challenged by Emily - like the elephants - that confused him.  There's something there, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I don't know if Anthony Hopkins is actually back or a lookalike - but I hope so.  Just loved him in season 1.

As this season goes on it seems like we are seeing a test of the hosts and their humanity. If Arnold’s dream was for something better and Ford picked up the mantle, it seems the hosts only learned to imitate their creators. If Dolores plans to make a better world for her kind, her methodology hadn’t exactly been better than the world of humankind. Maeve may be the ultimate model for future hosts.

And do all of you see next week’s previews? Did we see a roomful of shrouded, inactive hosts that included several Bernards? With blood on the face?

I am fascinated about where Dolores training Bernard fits in.

43 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

I am interested in the hesitations that MiB is showing when challenged by Emily - like the elephants - that confused him.  There's something there, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I don't know if Anthony Hopkins is actually back or a lookalike - but I hope so.  Just loved him in season 1.

Yeah, I thought that William was maybe testing Emily with the elephant stuff. That was funny when he assumed she was a host and he was talking to her like she was Ford.

Coughlin big-dogging Ashley Stubbs was silly too. Stubbs gets all the blame from these pricks. Hopefully Coughlin gets his in the next episode, which looks like a massacre.

About Hopkins:

Spoiler

IMDB has him listed as being in 13 episodes. So he should be back.

Archived