TTTNE 473: An Obsession of Joshes

Buckwheat

13 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Congrats on the promotion! I'm sure you are doing fine. Any YTs of St.Cuthbert's bells in action (I guess if I weren't so lazy, I'd just go to YT . . . ).

:rofl:

me as a ghost . . . I'm a bit too . . . substantial?

I'm flattered you read back through all that - but assume you did the same with others in TTTNE? That's a ton of reading!

Understood. I'm pretty ecumenical with animals* - like them all, but in terms of living with them, cats are the best fit for me.

*my younger sis who is a lot like me, has ducks, turkeys, chickens, guinea fowl, pigs, sheep and cats - and I'm probably missing somebody. :)

Oh man am I jealous! Life for me started with moving away from home - and I fell flat on my face - I flunked out of college. But in other ways never looked back. This will hopefully be a glorious and wonderful, hectic time in your life - GOOD LUCK!!!

Not surprised. I try not to think about those two as well. :)

No, just that i enjoy reading Sniffers posts a lot. He reminds me a little of certain  of my wife's family members who I like a lot.

Sniffer!! How you been, man!! Don't see you much on fb these days. I should message you and catch up.

hey Chick...i am doing ok and hope you are the same...hit me up on FB pm...i am hermitting but miss your wild words

:smoking:

13 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I've been watching the show (Game of Thrones) again all the way through (I'll need to buy s.7 to finish, but have the first six already). It is quite an impressive show. The locations, the cast, the overall quality of acting and filming - there's so much to like. And of course, the story isn't bad either.

I used to really fume about the things D&D chose to leave out and the extraneous stuff they put in . . . I'm largely over that.

Wonder where you guys are at with the show - how you feel about it these days (other than the long wait, which no one likes)?

i dig the show cause i have lost hope the last books will appear before i check out..so at least the show gives me ome resolution to the story...in fact i have enjoyed the show from season one to now...

12 hours ago, The EnglishBear said:

I find I don't mind the wait at all. Also a lot of the extraneous stuff was bullshit (not all, adaptations do have to differ somewhat,) but it's mostly gone now, because they don't have time to focus on anything that's not directly related to the end goal. There's silliness, that whole episode North of the wall for instance, where Gendry is apparently the best long distance runner of all time and the dragons would have to be supersonic. But it really doesn't bother me that much.

The really weird thing is I don't think I'm all that fussed about the books anymore. I'll read them when they come out, but I don't mind the wait. When I first read them they were incredible, but upon rereading them... they're just not as good as I remember. YMMV :dunno:

i agree Bear...i suspend the bullshit and focus on the story which so far for me has been ok...for example i was happy to know that the hound was alive and kicking...but i wished that ian mcshane had lasted longer than one episode...the show has been  good supliment to the book story, in this asshole's opinion...

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Thank you. Good post. Will do my own mistakes in my own time. :)

Kind creepy too, though. :eek:

I was referencing the song Who's The New Guy from the show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, look it up. ;) Too complicated to link on mobile, also have to save data ...

Haven't watched it since, like, season 4 I think? Don't miss it either.

I am mostly really happy they lead me to this forum, which is my Internet home. :) People on here have been with me through so much.

@honeyed chicken are you in the BWB group on FB and have seen my post with the mention of this forum in a book? It is all kinds of cool. :D

Oh thank you. I just looked what it is, don't want to watch it now on my phone.

Well, that is a ... novelty opinioj I have never seen yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! 

really? I’m sure a ton of people gave up on the books. Or at least a bunch.

7 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I guess I'm not too surprised with your reaction. I had to try to like it at first. A lot of the changes still feel offensive to me, but I'm trying to get over it because there is a lot to like as well.

I haven't gotten into the Instagram habit yet. My daughter does, so I prefer to leave it to her while I do facebook.

I’m not saying they are offensive in the actual sense of the word. I was never offended by anything on the show, I’m just extremely bothered by how blatantly stupid it is and how everybody expects the audience to think it’s so breathtakingly cool. It’s not. The cgi people and the editors deserve a pay rise sure, but what remains if you take that away? :dunno: 

7 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Are there any Neal Stephenson fans here? I have a good friend who loves his books and I'm wondering if I should take the plunge.

I enjoyed Snow Crash and Diamond Age a lot, but Cryptonomicon was fairly heavy going, and I get the impression his more recent work is more in the latter vein.

19 hours ago, The EnglishBear said:

There's silliness, that whole episode North of the wall for instance, where Gendry is apparently the best long distance runner of all time

He's a well-balanced character - his running speed makes up for his really slow rowing :D

1 hour ago, felice said:

He's a well-balanced character - his running speed makes up for his really slow rowing :D

:lmao: You’re a genius. Nobody else can understand the creative sense behind Gendry, but here’s the simple yet ingenious solution. Love it. 

Btw, did I say I finally found a bookshop? There weren’t a whole Lot of foreign books but I did manage to pick something fairly interesting. It also made me want to learn Spanish. Though judging from the epic failure of my learning Russian at college, I might not be up for the task. And maybe I should make my German functional first, and only then take on a new language. Decisions, decisions... 

10 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

You haven't watched since s.4! :o Will you read the books? 

Duh, obviously. I prefer whatever GRRM writes, whenever he does it, to D&D's glorified fanfiction.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! 

really? I’m sure a ton of people gave up on the books. Or at least a bunch.

Thank you.

Nah, I actually thought more people gave up on the show, especially old loyal readers.

2 hours ago, felice said:

:lol:

11 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

hey Chick...i am doing ok and hope you are the same...hit me up on FB pm...i am hermitting but miss your wild words

Sniffer, I will message you.

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m not saying they are offensive in the actual sense of the word. I was never offended by anything on the show, I’m just extremely bothered by how blatantly stupid it is and how everybody expects the audience to think it’s so breathtakingly cool. It’s not. The cgi people and the editors deserve a pay rise sure, but what remains if you take that away? :dunno:

I know you weren't saying anything was offensive to you, and that is the wrong word for my reaction as well. Pissed off better describes it - pissed off and puzzled - because the show would have been better if they'd stuck closer to the books. It might even have been more popular.

4 hours ago, felice said:

I enjoyed Snow Crash and Diamond Age a lot, but Cryptonomicon was fairly heavy going, and I get the impression his more recent work is more in the latter vein.

Thanks Felice. I'm not looking for heavy these days - when I do it will be biography, science, and political writings. I've been rereading some old favorites for fun.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Duh, obviously. I prefer whatever GRRM writes, whenever he does it, to D&D's glorified fanfiction.

Ah, Buck - you're always a breath of fresh air. :D

I had totally forgotten that many of you dislike the show . . . now I'm caught up.  :)

Another question: I see the elimination game is pretty much gone - ab aeterno started a new line back in January that finished in February - but nothing since. Any interest in another?

The books are ok, the show is ok, personally I would rather a full length novel set when the rightful rulers of Westeros were in charge, dragons roamed the skies and the land was peaceful and prosperous.

10 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Thank you.

Nah, I actually thought more people gave up on the show, especially old loyal readers.

:lol:

That’s the thing. I’m not an old loyal reader. It was the show that introduced me to the story, so I don’t have that loyalty to grrm. :/ 

8 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I know you weren't saying anything was offensive to you, and that is the wrong word for my reaction as well. Pissed off better describes it - pissed off and puzzled - because the show would have been better if they'd stuck closer to the books. It might even have been more popular.

I had totally forgotten that many of you dislike the show . . . now I'm caught up.  :)

Another question: I see the elimination game is pretty much gone - ab aeterno started a new line back in January that finished in February - but nothing since. Any interest in another?

I belueve that many alterations hbo decided to make benefited the story and improved the experience. (In my nasty opinion, one third if not half the books should have been edited out) I’m totally fine with altering things as long as they make some basic sense. Season 6 had been very very rocky and season 7 just epicly failed at providing common sense. 

And - dependent on the topic - I would be up for an EG. 

On 8/13/2018 at 9:26 AM, Buckwheat said:

So I had a looooooooong phone talk with the supernatural entity today, with whom I cut contact for a few months and then started chatting with some time ago. It made so much fun talking to him again. He is sorry for some things he said and that happened and he misses me still and so on.

What's a girl to do?

Others have given you far more logical advice than what I’m about to type but...I say go for it. Enjoy the conversations, enjoy the friendship, enjoy those yummy sweet feelings. Long distance isn’t so big of a deal (I went through a few deployments with hubby) and even if it doesn’t pan out or you meet someone you enjoy more, what does it hurt in the end? Now that I’m quite a bit older I look back and wish I would have savored things a tad more. And relaxed more about pretty much everything. But that’s just my regret talking. 

On 8/14/2018 at 10:13 AM, Lord Sidious said:

Lady O these are for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-ISatLDG0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtxlCsVKkvY

Helena this is for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iC-_lVzdiFE

Buck this is for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEjLoHdbVeE

You’re all welcome :P.

Thank you :wub: 

On 8/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, honeyed chicken said:

Two more questions:

Are there any Neal Stephenson fans here? I have a good friend who loves his books and I'm wondering if I should take the plunge.

Do any of you play this online game: http://www.slither-io.com/slitherio ?

I play every now and again with Lil O. But haven’t played in a while. 

About the show/books - I am convinced that George has it all written out and is just sitting on it waiting for the show to end. Sometimes I wonder if it isn’t contractual. 

Baby news - Lil Lady O has colic (no surprise there) so she cries most of the day due to pain. Took her to her 2 month well visit and told the doctor I believe she’s teething and asked what I could do to ease the pain. He insisted it’s too early for her to be teething until he really looked and felt around and said Well, there are two tooth buds :lol: Yes, I know. Lil O had two teeth at 3 months. I have discovered that if I put a small amount of rice cereal in a bottle at night it really helps her reflux so she doesn’t choke at night. Yay, progress! Oh and she sits up by herself in her little chair :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

That’s the thing. I’m not an old loyal reader. It was the show that introduced me to the story, so I don’t have that loyalty to grrm. :/ 

I belueve that many alterations hbo decided to make benefited the story and improved the experience. (In my nasty opinion, one third if not half the books should have been edited out) I’m totally fine with altering things as long as they make some basic sense. Season 6 had been very very rocky and season 7 just epicly failed at providing common sense. 

And - dependent on the topic - I would be up for an EG. 

I'm sure the books could have edited waaaay down, but i still enjoy them.

Wrt EGs, I'm wondering if we can revisit any of the old topics or are they completely stale in your opinion?

3 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

About the show/books - I am convinced that George has it all written out and is just sitting on it waiting for the show to end. Sometimes I wonder if it isn’t contractual. 

Baby news - Lil Lady O has colic (no surprise there) so she cries most of the day due to pain. Took her to her 2 month well visit and told the doctor I believe she’s teething and asked what I could do to ease the pain. He insisted it’s too early for her to be teething until he really looked and felt around and said Well, there are two tooth buds :lol: Yes, I know. Lil O had two teeth at 3 months. I have discovered that if I put a small amount of rice cereal in a bottle at night it really helps her reflux so she doesn’t choke at night. Yay, progress! Oh and she sits up by herself in her little chair :thumbsup:

That's awesome that you have played! If you play again and see a snake named fb:SlthrPlyrsGroup - that's me! Yes, I started a group . . .  I guess I just like chatting with other folks who like the same things I do. :)

You are the first person I've come across who feels the same way about the books that I do - that Martin has them finished or all but and is sitting on them for contractual reasons. Hopefully we'll have a new book this time next year - or shortly after.

Baby news - sorry to hear about the reflux . . . good grief. Even an "easy baby" is a lot of work (we had one), and Lil Lady O (cutie pie that she is) sounds like an armfull! Are you able to find any "me" time? I gotta say, moms get my utmost respect.

19 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

That's awesome that you have played! If you play again and see a snake named fb:SlthrPlyrsGroup - that's me! Yes, I started a group . . .  I guess I just like chatting with other folks who like the same things I do. :)

You are the first person I've come across who feels the same way about the books that I do - that Martin has them finished or all but and is sitting on them for contractual reasons. Hopefully we'll have a new book this time next year - or shortly after.

Baby news - sorry to hear about the reflux . . . good grief. Even an "easy baby" is a lot of work (we had one), and Lil Lady O (cutie pie that she is) sounds like an armfull! Are you able to find any "me" time? I gotta say, moms get my utmost respect.

There’s no way George hasn’t finished the books... I mean, how could he not right? Or maybe he’s waiting to see how the show ending goes over and then is going to change his ending accordingly :lol:

She is a handful but my mom is here helping so it’s not so hard for the moment. When she goes back home next week I may be a wreck. 

@Buckwheat I missed the post in BWB about the forum in a book? I’ll go see if I can find it. 

@rocksniffer Eveeythinh is better with Ian McShane. His role was far too small in GoT. 

3 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

That would be nice, but surely Winds of Winter would be out by now if that were the case, with just A Dream of Spring being held back for after the end of the series? Assuming the idea is to stop the books from providing any further show spoilers.

20 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Ah, Buck - you're always a breath of fresh air. :D

Oh, I think I am perfectly average. But thank you still, I am flattered. *curtsey*

20 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Sure, if there is an interesting topic enough. Disney princesses were fun.

12 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I know. I do.

I think even season 2 sucked, the third was somewhat better or I dropped my standards by then, and with the fourth, I don't remember if I even cared a lot anymore.

6 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Others have given you far more logical advice than what I’m about to type but...I say go for it. Enjoy the conversations, enjoy the friendship, enjoy those yummy sweet feelings. Long distance isn’t so big of a deal (I went through a few deployments with hubby) and even if it doesn’t pan out or you meet someone you enjoy more, what does it hurt in the end? Now that I’m quite a bit older I look back and wish I would have savored things a tad more. And relaxed more about pretty much everything. But that’s just my regret talking.

We did long distance for almost a year. Even more, if you count that thing at the beginning where we barely started having something undecided and before I moved up north. I think if it were not for the distance, we would probably still be together now. But obviously I can't know that. :/ 

And I know what you mean by regret ... I never did some fun things one should in their early 20s ...

That would be super shitty from him. :(

Hope she feels better soon and has a set of healthy white teeth!

My respect for mothers went way up after spending just one night with a person who needs help with everything.

6 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Wrt EGs, I'm wondering if we can revisit any of the old topics or are they completely stale in your opinion?

I think new topics would be better. Just my humble opinion.

@Buckwheat I missed the post in BWB about the forum in a book? I’ll go see if I can find it. 

I will send you a link on fb messenger. ;)

Now I had a thought - maybe the authors of that book are really members on this forum? :O

9 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Thank you :wub: 

Awwwww bless her, I hope she feels better soon, I can sympathise with the teething thing though it’s no fun seeing them go through it :(.

Mini Sith is doing much more babbling now, I’m so looking forward to her first word.

10 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Awwwww bless her, I hope she feels better soon, I can sympathise with the teething thing though it’s no fun seeing them go through it :(.

Mini Sith is doing much more babbling now, I’m so looking forward to her first word.

What do you think her first word will be? 

Archived