TTTNE 473: An Obsession of Joshes

Buckwheat

12 hours ago, Vin said:

Hello.

Mr chicken , i just read really really fast ,always have . i average 3000-5000 pages a day .

thoughts on the show : i've gotten over the shittiness of D&D  early ,by the 3rd season . now i just take it like a high budget parody. not bad when i frame it that way .

life update : Dentist lady and I broke up . I liked her . Sad .

I assume my potatoes are growing well ,so less sad .

I started to learn Scottish Gaelic. feels nice .

bought a new gun . happy .

Alright, well the reading fast I get - sort of (I've always been a painfully slow reader myself), but how/when do you process all that information you've taken in. Do you have time to think about what you've learned when you're gobbling up new stuff all the time?

Seeing GOT as parody is an interesting idea, but sort of innocent. Whereas I feel that D&D have intentionally weakened some of the female characters because they think males in the audience - Americans especially - will react poorly to martin's strong women.

I used to have a gun - about 3 decades ago. I had nowhere and no reason to shoot it. I was concerned that as long as I owned one the odds of someone getting shot with it were higher than I was comfortable with.

15 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Look at my monster courgette.

it took 4 rounds to grill it. 

:rofl:

Monster courgette? Here we would call that a zucchini and they get a lot bigger (and more numerous) than that. There are cartoons about dealing with a surfeit of them.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:57 AM, honeyed chicken said:

. . . and then comes the itching and peeling. Used to be a summer ritual back in the day before "skin cancer" became a big part of our vocab & consciousness.

Itching, yes, luckily not as bad as to result in peeling. Even the pink colour is mostly gone by now.

22 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@Buckwheat 12/10/18!! :commie:

Wait, what, did I miss something?

21 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I don't know if the Q still comes by to say, "Hi!" from time to time or not. If you see this Q - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! (a little bird called facebook told me it was today)

She does not come by often that I know of ... :/ Well, still, happy nameday, @Q the Cat! :commie:

18 hours ago, Vin said:

thoughts on the show : i've gotten over the shittiness of D&D  early ,by the 3rd season . now i just take it like a high budget parody. not bad when i frame it that way .

Parody is a fun word, but I prefer to call it fanfiction. They take it so seriously.

18 hours ago, Vin said:

Miss Bucky , "fun mistakes" are overrated .

No they are not, how do you dare say that to me? :box: :fencing:

Or you know, it might be just that I say that because I have not made enough of them yet.

Sorry about the dentist lady.

18 hours ago, Vin said:

I started to learn Scottish Gaelic. feels nice .

How does that go?

@The EnglishBear can you speak that?

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Look at my monster courgette.

it took 4 rounds to grill it. 

Did you grow that yourself? @Pebble has been posting gardening pictures of her zucchini and stuff all summer.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So . Many. Penis. Jokes.

Suggestive vegetables 50% off! :leer:

In other news, almost home now, my parents are still at sea - old gods bless Flixbus, this is quite practical.

9 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Alright, well the reading fast I get - sort of (I've always been a painfully slow reader myself), but how/when do you process all that information you've taken in. Do you have time to think about what you've learned when you're gobbling up new stuff all the time?

Seeing GOT as parody is an interesting idea, but sort of innocent. Whereas I feel that D&D have intentionally weakened some of the female characters because they think males in the audience - Americans especially - will react poorly to martin's strong women.

I used to have a gun - about 3 decades ago. I had nowhere and no reason to shoot it. I was concerned that as long as I owned one the odds of someone getting shot with it were higher than I was comfortable with.

I process info in real time. These days most of my reading material is Data, research, code, reports, proposals, stock/politics analysis and leisure books too I guess but less than I'd like. 

while I agree that they definitely messed up some(they seem to have a cerise fetish) major female characters (they ruined my beloved Sansa and no lady stoneheart ) I am reluctant to ascribe nefarious intentions where incompetence would suffice, I find that to be true in most cases. Also this complaint you bring against the male part of the species is in my opinion unfair and untrue. They're have been many successful stories centered around women or where women played roles that were very popular among the males and the US specifically. Sarah Conor from terminator was very well received and even had her own show later, Ellen Ripley from aliens is among the most beloved characters in the world, leeloo in the fifth element? Lara croft in tomb raider?  Many many more. 

I don't think we need to blame ourselves and make excuses for Hollywood and their unsatisfactory performances lately. Demand better from an industry that's obsessed with reboots and sequels. 

I have multiple guns. I enjoy them and go to the range regularly and even hunt sometimes. I have a concealed carry license as well. I hope I never have to use a gun on another human being but have no qualms about doing so to defend myself, my home or stop a crime. I also am a strong believer in the second amendment and our right to oppose a tyrannical government and that's reason enough for each household to own at least one Imo. 

4 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Guns are inelegant weapons for the uncivilised, clearly all disputes should be settled with a lightsaber duel to the death-preferably theirs.

Not to brag but I can do polish Sabre fencing, is that better? :fencing:

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Parody is a fun word, but I prefer to call it fanfiction. They take it so seriously.

Or you know, it might be just that I say that because I have not made enough of them yet.

How does that go?

That can work too I suppose but fan fiction writers usually have passion for their work and it seems to me that D&D just wanna wrap up and aren't really interested in making a high quality product anymore. 

Well, before I became an occasional scotch drinker there were some nights with a few schnapps bottles and suffice to say that it wasn't worth it. 

Thank you. It is for the best however, we had irreconcilable differences in our life goals and it's good that we cleared them early before either of us got too emotionally invested. 

It goes slowly. My grandfather speaks it fluently and my father some so I want to learn. There are online classes as well as books. I have also found a consultant should I require assistance 

1 hour ago, Kungsmurfen said:

Hello again everyone! Nice to see so many people I remember are still here, hope you're all good (and all new people too ofc!) :cheers:

Oh my! A wild smurf appears! :kiss: good to see you, how are things?

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Itching, yes, luckily not as bad as to result in peeling. Even the pink colour is mostly gone by now.

Wait, what, did I miss something?

She does not come by often that I know of ... :/ Well, still, happy nameday, @Q the Cat! :commie:

How does that go?

Did you grow that yourself? @Pebble has been posting gardening pictures of her zucchini and stuff all summer.

Suggestive vegetables 50% off! :leer:

In other news, almost home now, my parents are still at sea - old gods bless Flixbus, this is quite practical.

A premiere date!

2 hours ago, Kungsmurfen said:

Hello again everyone! Nice to see so many people I remember are still here, hope you're all good (and all new people too ofc!) :cheers:

Hi Smurf! Nice to see you again (and trade insults in the lies about the previous poster thread)!

2 hours ago, Vin said:

I process info in real time. These days most of my reading material is Data, research, code, reports, proposals, stock/politics analysis and leisure books too I guess but less than I'd like. 

while I agree that they definitely messed up some(they seem to have a cerise fetish) major female characters (they ruined my beloved Sansa and no lady stoneheart ) I am reluctant to ascribe nefarious intentions where incompetence would suffice, I find that to be true in most cases. Also this complaint you bring against the male part of the species is in my opinion unfair and untrue. They're have been many successful stories centered around women or where women played roles that were very popular among the males and the US specifically. Sarah Conor from terminator was very well received and even had her own show later, Ellen Ripley from aliens is among the most beloved characters in the world, leeloo in the fifth element? Lara croft in tomb raider?  Many many more. 

I don't think we need to blame ourselves and make excuses for Hollywood and their unsatisfactory performances lately. Demand better from an industry that's obsessed with reboots and sequels. 

I have multiple guns. I enjoy them and go to the range regularly and even hunt sometimes. I have a concealed carry license as well. I hope I never have to use a gun on another human being but have no qualms about doing so to defend myself, my home or stop a crime. I also am a strong believer in the second amendment and our right to oppose a tyrannical government and that's reason enough for each household to own at least one Imo.

Heh-heh! I'm am often accused of ascribing nefarious intentions (especially to the GOP in political arguments with my wife, a fellow liberal) where mere incompetence & stupidity would suffice. Personally I think it's naive to think that Hollywood isn't always worried about what the audience wants - its what they do - who they are and how they make their $s. Like PT Barnum said  - there's a sucker born every minute and Hollywood's job is separating the most money from the greatest number of suckers - in other words, shoot for the lowest common denominator. If you want to call that nefarious - go ahead. I would say that's just business.

Wrt guns, we're on opposite sides of that fence. Not much else to say. If your guns make you feel safer, good. Guns have the opposite effect on me.

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

Heh-heh! I'm am often accused of ascribing nefarious intentions (especially to the GOP in political arguments with my wife, a fellow liberal) where mere incompetence & stupidity would suffice. Personally I think it's naive to think that Hollywood isn't always worried about what the audience wants - its what they do - who they are and how they make their $s. Like PT Barnum said  - there's a sucker born every minute and Hollywood's job is separating the most money from the greatest number of suckers - in other words, shoot for the lowest common denominator. If you want to call that nefarious - go ahead. I would say that's just business.

Wrt guns, we're on opposite sides of that fence. Not much else to say. If your guns make you feel safer, good. Guns have the opposite effect on me.

It's a symptom of bureaucracy I'm afraid. 

OH I agree that Hollywood is a business and runs for profit, as a matter of fact I am a huge supporter of profit and business. The free market economy has been the greatest tool for the elevation of humanity. (although they -Hollywood - definitely do push their political agendas as well,very heavily these days I might add, just look at Oscar winning movies since 2009. Non of them were popular or performed exceptionally well at the box office ) but I simply think you are wrong and being unfair in laying the blame at the feet of men and somehow implying that the average American man is insecure or threatened by a well written female character. This demonstrated by the examples I've cited where men where not only not threatened but greatly approved and enjoyed the characters. People just want good fun stories. 

That's fair and cool with me. 

9 hours ago, Vin said:

That can work too I suppose but fan fiction writers usually have passion for their work and it seems to me that D&D just wanna wrap up and aren't really interested in making a high quality product anymore. 

Okay, maybe. I have not been following interviews with them and such. They used to be passionate about the show in the beginning.

9 hours ago, Vin said:

Well, before I became an occasional scotch drinker there were some nights with a few schnapps bottles and suffice to say that it wasn't worth it.

Eh, thank you for the warning, but I do not drink anything stronger than the occasional glass of wine, so I think I am safe on the alcohol front. ;)

9 hours ago, Vin said:

It goes slowly. My grandfather speaks it fluently and my father some so I want to learn. There are online classes as well as books. I have also found a consultant should I require assistance 

Oh. I strongly recommend learning a language in a language course. That way you need to practice speaking a lot, and that helps greatly.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A premiere date!

Ooooooh.

Sun cream, gel for burned skin, shower gel, period equipment ... cosmetics is expensive, yo.

On the bright side of today, I just learned I have been a good student and have all the credits I need to start into the second year of my PhD program. Time to celebrate! :commie:

41 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Sun cream, gel for burned skin, shower gel, period equipment ... cosmetics is expensive, yo.

On the bright side of today, I just learned I have been a good student and have all the credits I need to start into the second year of my PhD program. Time to celebrate! :commie:

Tell me about it :eek: 

congrats! 

31 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Help me, spammers - what to cook today? I came home yesterday and found the fridge pretty much empty (valonqar was home alone for a week) and now I have to buy food and cook for both of us.

A monster courgette. Or aubergine. :leaving: 

9 hours ago, Vin said:

It's a symptom of bureaucracy I'm afraid. 

OH I agree that Hollywood is a business and runs for profit, as a matter of fact I am a huge supporter of profit and business. The free market economy has been the greatest tool for the elevation of humanity. (although they -Hollywood - definitely do push their political agendas as well,very heavily these days I might add, just look at Oscar winning movies since 2009. Non of them were popular or performed exceptionally well at the box office ) but I simply think you are wrong and being unfair in laying the blame at the feet of men and somehow implying that the average American man is insecure or threatened by a well written female character. This demonstrated by the examples I've cited where men where not only not threatened but greatly approved and enjoyed the characters. People just want good fun stories. 

That's fair and cool with me. 

I'm only trying to guess the motivations of D&D. Imo THEY have a low opinion of American audience tolerance for strong women characters - not saying I agree with that.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Congratulations Buck!!! :commie:

How long before we get to call you Doctor Buck (assuming all goes to plan)?

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Tell me about it :eek: 

congrats! 

A monster courgette. Or aubergine. :leaving: 

Thank you!

No courgettes, aubergines or zucchinis here, I am afraid. :P Going to be a risotto.

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

Congratulations Buck!!! :commie:

How long before we get to call you Doctor Buck (assuming all goes to plan)?

Thank you.

And no idea. :leaving:

For once I feel like I live on the wrong side of the river. Why won’t the bloody storm cross and come to us too? It’s 26C  over and we’re sitting here in some yummy 34C x.X I swear it was “colder” in Spain. 

Also, big no to risotto from me. Pasta > risotto any day. :commie: 

Archived