TTTNE 473: An Obsession of Joshes

Buckwheat

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

What sort of sofa do you want?, I have been thinking about getting a new one too, I’d quite like a big corner sofa, was thinking about dark grey cloth for the material, I think it would fit in with the room well and I could bout some brighter cushions on it to brighten things up a bit too.

A fabric chesterfield. My current one is quite minimal and I have an undying love for anything chesterfield. The color is grey for me too, I’ll keep the current cushions which are dark green, light yellow and white. It’ll also be much smaller than my current sofa, which is unattractively bulky and takes up a lot of space of an otherwise rather small living room area. 

Corner sofa is great if you have enough space, I love the one at my parents house, comfiest thing in the world. 

23 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Buck, I hope you have brilliant, beautiful weather for your vacation. You didn't say which sea, but I checked two spots on the Adriatic (thanks to the miracle of the internet): Trieste & Dubrovnik (aka Kings Landing) and it looks warm and sunny for the most part over the next ten days.

It is not a vacation, it is this super serious course that is 100 % work ... okay yes, I am totally considering it a vacation with some learning on the side. :leaving:

And no, I am neither in Trieste nor in Dubrovnik.

19 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

A fabric chesterfield. My current one is quite minimal and I have an undying love for anything chesterfield. The color is grey for me too, I’ll keep the current cushions which are dark green, light yellow and white. It’ll also be much smaller than my current sofa, which is unattractively bulky and takes up a lot of space of an otherwise rather small living room area. 

Corner sofa is great if you have enough space, I love the one at my parents house, comfiest thing in the world. 

A nice chesterfield sounds really good :),  yeah I want a big corner sofa again, I had one at my old place but it got dumped a few years ago in favour of two smaller sofas which I think was a bad decision so I’m going to get another nice big corner sofa and probably keep one of the smaller ones as well as we have enough space.

The other thing I want to do is change from curtains to some nice Venetian blinds.

No furniture related wisdom have I (sorry, RB).

I did, however watch S.5, epi 8 of GOT last night (will watch ep 9 in a few minutes). Not a big fan of D&D's alterations to the story as a rule, but this ep is awesome, imo.

Spoiler

For my money, the meeting of Tyrion and Dasenerys is worth much aggravation. Peter Dinklage is at his best in these scenes. I don't personally know any alcoholics, but those many moments throughout the series when he is denied wine are always eloquent and none more so than when Dany asks him to stop. I like Emilia Clarke in these scenes as well.

The episode's name is "Hardhome", though only maybe a third of the hour is given to that story. If one wanted to be critical - there's plenty to find fault with. I for one am not a fan of zombies at all. That said, the setting evokes a sense of foreboding and pays off in spades.

Back at Castle Black John Bradley shines as Sam and Brenock O'Connor nails it as Olly (his character supplants Dolorous Ed/Satin, but this is one alteration I love. Olly embodies the Night Watch's deep seated hatred of the Wildlings in a visceral way)

7 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I did, however watch S.5, epi 8 of GOT last night (will watch ep 9 in a few minutes). Not a big fan of D&D's alterations to the story as a rule, but this ep is awesome, imo.

Hide contents

For my money, the meeting of Tyrion and Dasenerys is worth much aggravation. Peter Dinklage is at his best in these scenes. I don't personally know any alcoholics, but those many moments throughout the series when he is denied wine are always eloquent and none more so than when Dany asks him to stop. I like Emilia Clarke in these scenes as well.

The episode's name is "Hardhome", though only maybe a third of the hour is given to that story. If one wanted to be critical - there's plenty to find fault with. I for one am not a fan of zombies at all. That said, the setting evokes a sense of foreboding and pays off in spades.

Back at Castle Black John Bradley shines as Sam and Brenock O'Connor nails it as Olly (his character supplants Dolorous Ed/Satin, but this is one alteration I love. Olly embodies the Night Watch's deep seated hatred of the Wildlings in a visceral way)

Wait until you get to S07E04 :D, ok I admit it’s somewhat of a personal favourite.

16 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

A nice chesterfield sounds really good :),  yeah I want a big corner sofa again, I had one at my old place but it got dumped a few years ago in favour of two smaller sofas which I think was a bad decision so I’m going to get another nice big corner sofa and probably keep one of the smaller ones as well as we have enough space.

The other thing I want to do is change from curtains to some nice Venetian blinds.

Sounds like a plan with a comfy result :D one can never have enough chill space in a living room.

big no to Venetian blinds for me. Not a chance I’m cleaning those things (and it’ll most certainly be another 5 years before I can afford having other people clean my place for me. 

7 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, I don’t even remember season 5. There was Oberyn and he died and that’s about all I can recall. And the Star Wars scene at the end of the season. 

Wait until you get to S07E04 :D, ok I admit it’s somewhat of a personal favourite.

Is that . . . well, spoilers! let's just say I saw the season on HBO with a friend when it came out, but have not seen it since then. So I'll have to wait till I get to that point in my rewatch to see if that epi is what I think it is. ;)

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Honestly, I don’t even remember season 5. There was Oberyn and he died and that’s about all I can recall. And the Star Wars scene at the end of the season. 

Spoiler

Oberyn dies in S.4.

S.5 is all about Elia getting revenge for his death. It includes the silly trip to Dorne by Jaime and Bronn in a vain attempt to rescue Marcella whose life has been threatened. It also has Jon Snow being elected Lord Commander of the NW. He immediately tries to rescue a bunch of wildlings and gets himself stabbed to death by his own brothers who feel he's betrayed them. Cersei gets her comeupance for giving the Seven back the Faith Militant. She's locked up for incest and etc and this will end in the Walk of Shame. In Meereen, Dany and Tyrion get together as mentioned, but Drogon and Dany reunite as well in the fighting pit after the sons of the Harpy stage an uprising (lots of crisp Meereenese result.). Arya is about to cross another name off her list, as she is on her way to becoming a faceless man. Sansa marries Ramsay and is brutally treated, while Brienne looks for a chance to rescue her. Stannis burns his daughter to improve his chances of winning the war, but still ends up losing.

Lots of action. :)

1 minute ago, honeyed chicken said:

Is that . . . well, spoilers! let's just say I saw the season on HBO with a friend when it came out, but have not seen it since then. So I'll have to wait till I get to that point in my rewatch to see if that epi is what I think it is. ;)

Reveal hidden contents

Oberyn dies in S.4.

S.5 is all about Elia getting revenge for his death. It includes the silly trip to Dorne by Jaime and Bronn in a vain attempt to rescue Marcella whose life has been threatened. It also has Jon Snow being elected Lord Commander of the NW. He immediately tries to rescue a bunch of wildlings and gets himself stabbed to death by his own brothers who feel he's betrayed them. Cersei gets her comeupance for giving the Seven back the Faith Militant. She's locked up for incest and etc and this will end in the Walk of Shame. In Meereen, Dany and Tyrion get together as mentioned, but Drogon and Dany reunite as well in the fighting pit after the sons of the Harpy stage an uprising (lots of crisp Meereenese result.). Arya is about to cross another name off her list, as she is on her way to becoming a faceless man. Sansa marries Ramsay and is brutally treated, while Brienne looks for a chance to rescue her. Stannis burns his daughter to improve his chances of winning the war, but still ends up losing.

Oh boy, then I must say I remember even less than I thought. It’s a mushy drag from season 4-7... well at least we’ll see the end of it next year... 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Like mixed baby food, you can’t tell the ingredients apart. I have no idea which season is which or what even happened. Maybe blurry is a less disgusting way to describe it? 

Can't argue - good way to put it, in fact.

I describe D&D's GOT as being an anagram of ASOIAF - they take the characters (some of them) and plot lines (some) and mix them around to suit their tastes and needs.

Still there is the casting, which is good to great, and there are nuggets every now and then that keep me watching. I do wish the dragons were better. They look like crap, imo.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Honeyed chicken, what is your avatar? I cannot make it out on the phone screen.

34 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

looks like a bird eating a berry

Yes. It's a cedar waxwing eating a serviceberry in the tree outside my office.

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Sounds like a plan with a comfy result :D one can never have enough chill space in a living room.

big no to Venetian blinds for me. Not a chance I’m cleaning those things (and it’ll most certainly be another 5 years before I can afford having other people clean my place for me. 

Is it weird that I can afford to have someone clean my house but I like to do it myself anyway?, I’ve always been quite house proud.

If they’re going to do a GoT Star Wars scene I think they should let me write it.

The Night King and white walkers in single combat against two Sith Lords, a Star Destroyer over Kings Landing, I’d make it brilliant, although slightly one sided :P.

5 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Reveal hidden contents

Oberyn dies in S.4.

Spoiler

And now the flames rage o’er his halls.

That one :D.

Spoiler

I actually quite like Jamie, but I like the dragons much more and trying to take one on in single combat was extremely foolish of him.

4 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Can't argue - good way to put it, in fact.

I describe D&D's GOT as being an anagram of ASOIAF - they take the characters (some of them) and plot lines (some) and mix them around to suit their tastes and needs.

Still there is the casting, which is good to great, and there are nuggets every now and then that keep me watching. I do wish the dragons were better. They look like crap, imo.

Yeah that’s pretty much what they are doing. Eh, the casting is indeed on the good side, but either the writing or the directing of their characters make some of the actors provide a rather vile performance. 

I do love the dragons, the dracarys scenes are the ones I’m still watching for, basically. That, and closure. I can’t wait to see the very last episode of the very last season, have a nice big rant and just move on to better things. 

Is it weird that I can afford to have someone clean my house but I like to do it myself anyway?, I’ve always been quite house proud.

If they’re going to do a GoT Star Wars scene I think they should let me write it.

The Night King and white walkers in single combat against two Sith Lords, a Star Destroyer over Kings Landing, I’d make it brilliant, although slightly one sided :P.

Reveal hidden contents

And now the flames rage o’er his halls.

That one :D.

Reveal hidden contents

I actually quite like Jamie, but I like the dragons much more and trying to take one on in single combat was extremely foolish of him.

Nah, whatever you like. I actually enjoy keeping a clean and tidy house too when I have the time to fuss with it. When I don’t have the time (which is usually the case), it’s another source of stress. But given the choice, I would rather spend my time keeping my house neat than being a modern age office slave. 

Forum rules question: is it still true that when a thread gets over 400 you're supposed to stop it & start a new one? Other than TTTNE, of course. Special rules for this one. I ask because the Outrageous Lies thread is well over 400, but didn't want to say anything till I checked.

Archived