TTTNE 473: An Obsession of Joshes

Buckwheat

3 hours ago, The BelgianBear said:

Boo, You whore!

Ikea is a nightmarish labyrinth of consumerism. I just want a bookshelf, I don't need to spend an entire lifetime traversing a thousand flimsy cliched homes. Then just when you've got acclimatised to the sheen, you're thrown into a cold grey warehouse, like a baby torn from the womb.

It's not for me.

*wink*

I'm a veteran, I know the shop better than the staff so there's no confusion here ,just lightning raids :pirate:

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m a 90s kid, I have a mean girls t-shirt. I know a reference

I’m in a toxic relationship with ikea. It keeps hurting me and I keep going back. I’m all for the products, but the service is offensively bad. 

Well then

They have a good product , good food and give me free pencils . I'm satisfied. guess the service varies between countries but then again I prefer to get my own stuff anyway .faster.

1 hour ago, El trigo sarraceno said:

I have never visited an Ikea store. :leaving:

It's like Santa's workshop if somehow little children craved nothing but furniture. Try the meat balls .

Can I just get a vague idea what browsers you all use? I've become increasingly fed up by Firefox, ever since the updates to 'quantum' last year, it's been very temperamental. Occasionally just freezes up, loads videos very slowly. I was hoping they'd figure it out, but nothing has been forthcoming, and if anything it seems to be getting worse.

So I'm trying out Chrome.

48 minutes ago, The BelgianBear said:

Can I just get a vague idea what browsers you all use? I've become increasingly fed up by Firefox, ever since the updates to 'quantum' last year, it's been very temperamental. Occasionally just freezes up, loads videos very slowly. I was hoping they'd figure it out, but nothing has been forthcoming, and if anything it seems to be getting worse.

I am using Chrome. The adblocking extension does not work well with this site, though.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, El trigo sarraceno said:

That is very true.

Hello. Mini must be growing so quickly!

Also, you two both need an avatar. :P

Mini Sith is growing lots!, she’s going to be moving into her own room in another month.

Rhae, if you can afford one go for a MacBook Pro, I switched over from Windows like 15 years ago and have never had any issues with the ones I’ve had, I also am now incapable of using Windows now, it looks so different to use than XP.

1 hour ago, The BelgianBear said:

Really? What's it called? Mine's working really well.

Brain fart. Don't know why I typed Chrome. I use Firefox.

I guess being in a PhD program does not make you smarter, it messes your brain up so much worse (as if it wasn't messed up enough to start with, seeing how you, well entered a PhD program).

:blushing::leaving: <- Oh, I missed that favourite smiley combo, it is appropriate again!

3 hours ago, The BelgianBear said:

I mainly use Tor coupled with a vpn for maximum privacy but unless you have a powerful machine I wouldn't recommend it . For simple speed I'd actually stick with fire fox but as the industry moves further into coding in HTML5 chrome will get faster since it already edges out fox in loading HTML5 .

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Mini Sith is growing lots!, she’s going to be moving into her own room in another month.

Rhae, if you can afford one go for a MacBook Pro, I switched over from Windows like 15 years ago and have never had any issues with the ones I’ve had, I also am now incapable of using Windows now, it looks so different to use than XP.

Linux master race .

And definitely don't switch to a MacBook Pro . The price tag is outrageous considering the measly hardware .it's a fashion statement not a serious machine .

11 hours ago, El trigo sarraceno said:

I have never visited an Ikea store. :leaving:

Little known fact, you only ever visit an IKEA store once. And that she because you never truly leave. Some small part of you is forever trapped in that labyrinth of flatpack, plastic-y goodness.

4 hours ago, The BelgianBear said:

Mostly safari because I am mostly here on iPad. But the site really doesn’t work well on here since the update, ridiculously jumpy and plagued by ads. I use Chrome on my laptop which works well

12 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Omg her own room! This is so adorable and such a big step! I bet she has an absolutely lovely little place. Also, does this mean a little more sleep for you and your partner at last? 

I absolutely cannot afford a MacBook Pro. Well, not without reaching into my family funds, but I’m allocating that for a couple trips abroad. So no MacBook Pro. I was considering a MacBook Air as the slightly more affordable version, which costs about the same as my current laptop did back in the day, so it’s even justifiable... but I haven’t yet convinced myself. 

12 hours ago, El trigo sarraceno said:

Brain fart. Don't know why I typed Chrome. I use Firefox.

I guess being in a PhD program does not make you smarter, it messes your brain up so much worse (as if it wasn't messed up enough to start with, seeing how you, well entered a PhD program).

:blushing::leaving: <- Oh, I missed that favourite smiley combo, it is appropriate again!

What does a PhD program do? You read stuff and write stuff and teach classes? That’s what I remember from the time when my mother did her PhD... then again, that was 20 years ago. 

11 hours ago, Vin said:

And definitely don't switch to a MacBook Pro . The price tag is outrageous considering the measly hardware .it's a fashion statement not a serious machine .

Yeah, that’s the eternal debate, isn’t it? To spend or not to spend on status symbol brands? I don’t know how it works as a machine, as for the software, I do love iOS. But I like windows too even though it’s been ridiculous ever since the windows8 update. Oh well. Like I said, I’m glad I get to postpone this decision till 2019. 

15 hours ago, The BelgianBear said:

I use Chrome for work and Opera as my private browser. I always hated Firefox. 

23 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

What does a PhD program do? You read stuff and write stuff and teach classes? That’s what I remember from the time when my mother did her PhD... then again, that was 20 years ago.

You read stuff and write stuff. I don't teach anything. (I mean, I do, but elsewhere, not connected to that program.)

11 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

Little known fact, you only ever visit an IKEA store once. And that she because you never truly leave. Some small part of you is forever trapped in that labyrinth of flatpack, plastic-y goodness.

This is true , and the arrows on the ground become a prominent feature in your dreams .

34 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah, that’s the eternal debate, isn’t it? To spend or not to spend on status symbol brands? I don’t know how it works as a machine, as for the software, I do love iOS. But I like windows too even though it’s been ridiculous ever since the windows8 update. Oh well. Like I said, I’m glad I get to postpone this decision till 2019. 

True but I'd save that for a car or jewelry where the substance of the item is what gives it's status .I know how it works as a machine and don't get me wrong,it's not a bad device, it's just that you can get so much better for equal or even lower prices . IOS is sleek and favored by people who work in more artistic stuff but it has had some major security risks in the last 5 years but they fix things quickly.

I personally use Linux for almost all my work and windows for entertainment. 

Speaking of PhD programs , I never got the point unless you want to teach or get a political position. I stopped at a couple of masters .

14 hours ago, Vin said:

I mainly use Tor coupled with a vpn for maximum privacy but unless you have a powerful machine I wouldn't recommend it . For simple speed I'd actually stick with fire fox but as the industry moves further into coding in HTML5 chrome will get faster since it already edges out fox in loading HTML5 .

Linux master race .

They’re way more stable plus I’ve got to have one for Logic, other than using music software I just use it for internet, emails etc and is more than enough, plus OS X is so much nicer to use than Windows.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Omg her own room! This is so adorable and such a big step! I bet she has an absolutely lovely little place. Also, does this mean a little more sleep for you and your partner at last? 

She does have a great room all done and ready for her :D, in theory we might get a little more sleep but I doubt it as we will have the baby monitor on, if anything it’s just further to get up in the night.

58 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

They’re way more stable plus I’ve got to have one for Logic, other than using music software I just use it for internet, emails etc and is more than enough, plus OS X is so much nicer to use than Windows.

She does have a great room all done and ready for her :D, in theory we might get a little more sleep but I doubt it as we will have the baby monitor on, if anything it’s just further to get up in the night.

Oh right, that makes sense. Well, sleep must wait then :D How many times does she wake up to feed?

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Yep , that's what most people use mac for , graphic designers , DJs and music mixers and the usual fashion statement. I definitely don't think they're shit and if one has the financial capacity and the personal preference then by all means ,I just hate how they advertise themselves as cutting edge or top market innovators when they're absolutely not and are in fact simply charging outrageous profit margins for branding .as for os ,you shouldn't forget that you're trading in access to a lot of software that's not available for Mac and even when it becomes available it's usually late  .

You have a baby ? I LOVE babies :wub:

Wow. I just deleted a first world problems rant and didn’t pester you people with the nonsense of our railway company. who’s proud of me? 

Oh, did I mention? Sister will be staying with me for a few weeks in July. That’s like a Targaryen birth. The gods toss up a coin to decide if it’s going to be greatness or madness. 

24 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Wow. I just deleted a first world problems rant and didn’t pester you people with the nonsense of our railway company. who’s proud of me? 

Oh, did I mention? Sister will be staying with me for a few weeks in July. That’s like a Targaryen birth. The gods toss up a coin to decide if it’s going to be greatness or madness. 

*clap*

No idea how that feels , only child here .

Spoiler

I am so disappointed in our team (Germany) losing to the wildlings beyond the wall . They've been unworthy of the Vaterland . :bang:

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh right, that makes sense. Well, sleep must wait then :D How many times does she wake up to feed?

It’s not always to feed, sometimes she needs changing or just wants some attention or now is uncomfortable because of teething too, usually a couple of times though, although she seems to be quite regular and likes to wake up fully at 5/6 am EVERY day!.

3 hours ago, Vin said:

Yep , that's what most people use mac for , graphic designers , DJs and music mixers and the usual fashion statement. I definitely don't think they're shit and if one has the financial capacity and the personal preference then by all means ,I just hate how they advertise themselves as cutting edge or top market innovators when they're absolutely not and are in fact simply charging outrageous profit margins for branding .as for os ,you shouldn't forget that you're trading in access to a lot of software that's not available for Mac and even when it becomes available it's usually late  .

You have a baby ? I LOVE babies :wub:

I like Apples products they work for me, I’d certainly not be queuing up to buy the latest iPhone on launch day though!.

Yes I have a baby, she’s 5 and a half months now and is adorable and awesome :wub:.

Archived