TTTNE 473: An Obsession of Joshes

Buckwheat

11 hours ago, Vin said:

How about this , I'll tell you my degrees and we'll see if we're any closer .

I have a double major in electrical engineering and communication engineering , a minor in economics , a masters in signal processing and analysis and a masters in digital electronics design. 

Kurz gesagt  I and my team work at a lab where we do science !

Oh yeah, electrical engineering makes sense. I’m sure that’s great field to work in. 

11 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Welcome Vin, is that Vin from Mistborn in your avatar?

And hi to the rest. I've been online less than usual, but my summer break has basically begun already, so I'll remedy that.

Hi first! :cheers: how’s life? 

If I went back to a year ago (which was what, maybe three or four threads ago?) I’m sure I could read the specific bitching I threw over last year’s Red Bull air race. Well we are back at it again and it’s so damn loud as a blockbuster battle scene.. except it goes on for three days instead of 10 minutes. Hail to another relaxing weekend... oh wait, I have about 12 hours of work left till Monday. I supposed red bull air race is not to blame for that after all... *takes a deep breath, closes her eyes and pictures the sum she will bill at the end of the month*  

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

:commie: when’s your wedding? 

We’re actually looking at venues over the next couple of months and we want a date for next summer :D, there is going to be SO much to plan!.

12 hours ago, Vin said:

This is so ...wholesome :lol:

Congratulations ! Hope it's everything you want to be :grouphug:

Yeah , from my personal experience in dating , a lot of women I knew didn't even seriously consider marriage as a big part of their future which I didn't like .

It’s not something I think people have to do anymore but to me it’s a huge expression of commitment between two people and shouldn’t be entered into lightly.

2 hours ago, El trigo sarraceno said:

And you speak German! :O

Welcome back, FOMN. Exams are over for you, I take it?

Yep ,I do cause my mother is German (from Bonn) I've spent some summers there .

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh yeah, electrical engineering makes sense. I’m sure that’s great field to work in. 

If I went back to a year ago (which was what, maybe three or four threads ago?) I’m sure I could read the specific bitching I threw over last year’s Red Bull air race. Well we are back at it again and it’s so damn loud as a blockbuster battle scene.. except it goes on for three days instead of 10 minutes. Hail to another relaxing weekend... oh wait, I have about 12 hours of work left till Monday. I supposed red bull air race is not to blame for that after all... *takes a deep breath, closes her eyes and pictures the sum she will bill at the end of the month*  

So far it's been great and I'm lucky to have a job I enjoy in a field that interests me but from people I know a lot don't really work in the field of their major .

So your turn , how do you serve the devil ? 

Air shows can be fun . I have a friend who's obsessed with them and travels just to see them . 

15 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

We’re actually looking at venues over the next couple of months and we want a date for next summer :D, there is going to be SO much to plan!.

It’s not something I think people have to do anymore but to me it’s a huge expression of commitment between two people and shouldn’t be entered into lightly.

Get a good caterer, people deserve good food if they're gonna suffer shitty relatives 

Well if we're talking conceptually , marriage should be encouraged since statistics show that children of married people far outperform their counterparts across the board and are henceforth better for society . The nuclear family remains ,in my opinion at least, the best and most stable unit to build communities around.

On an interpersonal level, because I believe it's such a serious commitment and a meaningful part of one's life , I definitely don't think people should feel like they HAVE to do it . They should want and accept it willingly while knowing the responsibilities and hardships it involves.

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

We’re actually looking at venues over the next couple of months and we want a date for next summer :D, there is going to be SO much to plan!

Sooooooooo exciting. Will you trust the baby with the ring? Or will she just be a little bridesmaid? And what do you have in mind in terms of theme and venue? 

1 hour ago, Vin said:

So far it's been great and I'm lucky to have a job I enjoy in a field that interests me but from people I know a lot don't really work in the field of their major .

Air shows can be fun . I have a friend who's obsessed with them and travels just to see them . 

I do, work in the field of my major, which is organization development. 

I'm sure they can be, out of residential area, when one follows them willingly. 

But Just So you people don’t think all I ever do is complain (because you know it, don’t you? :lol:), let me tell you how much I’m loving the 17C we have today. It’s a delight to curl up with a hot tea and wear a sweater and air the house and actually use a blanket in bed and just breathe fresh air. :wub: I’m already fantasizing about fall and winter activities. 

10 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Sooooooooo exciting. Will you trust the baby with the ring? Or will she just be a little bridesmaid? And what do you have in mind in terms of theme and venue? 

I do, work in the field of my major, which is organization development. 

I'm sure they can be, out of residential area, when one follows them willingly. 

Hmm , now it's my turn to not understand what that means .

You're in Budapest then ,I'm guessing ? Lovely city ,been there twice.

9 hours ago, Vin said:

Get a good caterer, people deserve good food if they're gonna suffer shitty relatives 

Well if we're talking conceptually , marriage should be encouraged since statistics show that children of married people far outperform their counterparts across the board and are henceforth better for society . The nuclear family remains ,in my opinion at least, the best and most stable unit to build communities around.

On an interpersonal level, because I believe it's such a serious commitment and a meaningful part of one's life , I definitely don't think people should feel like they HAVE to do it . They should want and accept it willingly while knowing the responsibilities and hardships it involves.

I think most people just come for the free bar(yes there will be a free bar)

I agree with you, people should want to do it not just feel obliged to.

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

She will still be too little for the rings I think.

Theme wise we’re looking at being fairly traditional, although there are going to be A LOT of bridesmaids :P.

Venue wise there is a stately home and an ex stately home turned lovely countryside hotel with lovely views in the running at the moment.

20 hours ago, Vin said:

Hmm , now it's my turn to not understand what that means .

You're in Budapest then ,I'm guessing ? Lovely city ,been there twice.

It’s sort of a crossover between social psychology and business. The firm I work for deals with soft skill trainings, management development, HR systems And operational process development. I don’t know if that got you closer to an answer.

yes indeed I am, great googling skills there. 

13 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Theme wise we’re looking at being fairly traditional, although there are going to be A LOT of bridesmaids :P.

Venue wise there is a stately home and an ex stately home turned lovely countryside hotel with lovely views in the running at the moment.

Just make sure they fit into a single picture :lol: though there’s panorama mode and drone options these days, so go crazy, in fact :P 

those sound like amazing venues *.* 

On 6/23/2018 at 12:16 AM, Lord Sidious said:

Probably. Personally not a big drinker tho .

*click* some inspiration perhaps ? I love Scottish weddings :wub:

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

It’s sort of a crossover between social psychology and business. The firm I work for deals with soft skill trainings, management development, HR systems And operational process development. I don’t know if that got you closer to an answer.

Just make sure they fit into a single picture :lol: though there’s panorama mode and drone options these days, so go crazy, in fact :P 

These all sound like things I don't like . No wonder you're not happy with it .

Thank you .

1 hour ago, Vin said:

Thank you .

No, you misunderstand. I do like this field, even though it can be slightly bullshitty (what social science field isn’t?) at times. I’m not huge on HR systems or trainings , but I do enjoy most of my development projects. They are all interesting and some are super creative too. What I’m not happy with is my firm, but I’ll be doing something about that sooner or later. 

43 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

No, you misunderstand. I do like this field, even though it can be slightly bullshitty (what social science field isn’t?) at times. I’m not huge on HR systems or trainings , but I do enjoy most of my development projects. They are all interesting and some are super creative too. What I’m not happy with is my firm, but I’ll be doing something about that sooner or later. 

Hmm , I see . Do you work Here ? 

On a more serious note , I get it , at least I think I do , I've been involved in some morally ambiguous projects/research and it did feel bad at times but the opportunities were too good to pass up . 

In the meantime try not burn out and keep on keeping on :grouphug:

22 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

We’re getting pretty excited about it too now, we’ve been engaged for a while, but being pregnant and having mini Sith kind of got in the way!.

11 hours ago, Vin said:

Thank you .

Scotland is lovely but I think it would be a bit far for some people to make it, we’ve decided to stick with places within a couple of hours drive of London.

10 hours ago, Vin said:

Hmm , I see . Do you work Here ? 

On a more serious note , I get it , at least I think I do , I've been involved in some morally ambiguous projects/research and it did feel bad at times but the opportunities were too good to pass up . 

In the meantime try not burn out and keep on keeping on :grouphug:

Nah, not incorporated. It’s a petty little hobby firm of some people who moved on to build a more financially rewarding business, so It’s basically their geeky step-child now, which is kept around because it cleans the house and polishes the sports car of its younger and way cooler brother, but otherwise there’s no love or perspective for it. Sorry for the dumb metaphor. Bottomline is, shitty pay, morally questionable practices, hypocritical values, manipulative management. 

Yeah, thanks. 

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

We’re getting pretty excited about it too now, we’ve been engaged for a while, but being pregnant and having mini Sith kind of got in the way!.

I’m sure it’s a whole new kind of special to have your baby at the wedding too. Do you already have plans for a dress? :commie: 

Soooooo, sister’s birthday party is done. According to the intel I have it was quite successful. But I’m sure I’ll hear her side of the story too, as soon as she scrambles out of bed. I half wish I had travelled there yesterday and attempted to crash it. I wasn’t on the list so who knows if they would have let me in to take advantage of the free bar. Free for the guests at least. According to my informant, the free bar cost close to $1000, and bear in mind that’s more than the monthly average net income of an individaul in our lovely country. Kinda as though mini sith had drank away £2000 worth of milk on her 6 months bday. Well, sister claims it was rather pricey but still worth it, as she had to make up for three years of just going to other people’s parties and not throwing her own. She is however certain that she won’t be throwing another party as she would rather just enjoy herself and not take on the responsibility of hosting. Not that she did a lot of hosting, that was mostly managed by the person running the venue. I’m both scared and excited to hear her version of the night. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Nah, not incorporated. It’s a petty little hobby firm of some people who moved on to build a more financially rewarding business, so It’s basically their geeky step-child now, which is kept around because it cleans the house and polishes the sports car of its younger and way cooler brother, but otherwise there’s no love or perspective for it. Sorry for the dumb metaphor. Bottomline is, shitty pay, morally questionable practices, hypocritical values, manipulative management. 

Yeah, thanks. 

I’m sure it’s a whole new kind of special to have your baby at the wedding too. Do you already have plans for a dress? :commie: 

Nothing concrete yet, I’ve looked at a few on Pinterest and I have some ideas, I do kind of want to go with the big, white and traditional type though.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, Vin said:

Why yes it is ! I love vin and Brandon Sanderson books in general, hence the username. Also it kinda sounds like my name so that's a bonus . Also thanks for the welcome stranger :)

I dig the Mistborn trilogy too. It's been ages since I read Sanderson though, I think The Alloy of Law was the last one.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, El trigo sarraceno said:

And you speak German! :O

Welcome back, FOMN. Exams are over for you, I take it?

I didn't have any, god bless. Long story but I just have a final assessment two days from now, which I think should be alright.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, RhaenysBee said:

A lot is changing, which is mildly terrifying, but I'm pretty great at the moment. The last six months have been wonderful.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, Lord Sidious said:

Yay, exciting :) 

6 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Nothing concrete yet, I’ve looked at a few on Pinterest and I have some ideas, I do kind of want to go with the big, white and traditional type though.

Awww, that’s the Best kind. Huge and princessy and dreamy...! Aww. 

4 hours ago, First of My Name said:

A lot is changing, which is mildly terrifying, but I'm pretty great at the moment. The last six months have been wonderful.

Yay, exciting :) 

Well that’s kinda vague! But I’m glad things are going well and you’re enjoying life. Summer plans? 

2 hours ago, El trigo sarraceno said:

Also, long weekend! :commie:

:crying: and here I am, having clocked 9 hours of work on a weekend day. Enjoy that long weekend for me. 

Archived