Why have not Lancel consumated his marriage and can Lancel be persuaded to do so?

norwaywolf123

13 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I think both of the questions in the title to this thread are answered in the books already.

Lancel makes it perfectly clear he is not interested in consummating his marriage in his convo with Jaime in AFFC.  By the time of Cersei's Walk of Shame, Lancel is one of the Warrior's Sons.  He's already forsworn his marriage, so I don't think they'll be any convincing him to get on back to Darry and being a real husband to Ami. 

Ok, Lancel has made it clear that he is not interested in consummating hjis marriage and he has joined the Warrior's Sons.

But how could Lancel be convinced to consummate his marriage with Ameriei before leaving Darry and joining the Warrior's Sons? 

Could not Lancel willingly be persuaded to consummate his marriage? What about unwilling, could Amerei and her family force him to consummate his marriage?

Are you sure there is no way back for Lancel? Can he not return to Darry, take up his lordship and wife and get that new Lannister branch up and going?

Lancel is a sort of shadow Jaime - he flags up Jaime's inner life. So both are undergoing a crisis of conscience. Both are tempted by an excess of purity. Both reject their inheritance. Both are disgusted by the promiscuity of the woman they want to be exclusively theirs.

Basically, Lance will get together with Ami when Jaime gets back with Cersei.

6 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Fertility is negativly impacted by stress so that might be a factor. Atleadt his fertility is damaged, but when Lancel gets fit again his fertility will improve.

I think he experienced quite a bit more than "stress" on the Blackwater. His injuries are never specified, but the next time he is seen: 

He looks ghastly. Lancel's hair had turned white and brittle, and he was thin as a stick. Without his father beside him holding him up, he would surely have collapsed. -- Tyrion.

When Jaime sees him at Darry:

Lancel looked even thinner than he had at King's Landing.

If he keeps fasting like he is, he will not be getting fit any time soon.

And while fertility is important for a lord, it's his likely impotence that is the immediate problem -- and both may be lost causes depending on the nature of his injuries.

8 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Ok, Lancel has made it clear that he is not interested in consummating hjis marriage and he has joined the Warrior's Sons.

But how could Lancel be convinced to consummate his marriage with Ameriei before leaving Darry and joining the Warrior's Sons? 

Could not Lancel willingly be persuaded to consummate his marriage? What about unwilling, could Amerei and her family force him to consummate his marriage?

Are you sure there is no way back for Lancel? Can he not return to Darry, take up his lordship and wife and get that new Lannister branch up and going?

I was going to say I don't think Lancel will figure too importantly in the next phase of the books (provided we get them) BUT......it just dawned on me that with Kevin's killing in the last epilogue, Lancel would be Kevin's heir.  I say would be because I am not sure.  I'd have take a fresh look at it, but I wonder if Lancel swearing himself to the Warrior's Sons has also taken him out of the line of that succession, ie the KG and the NW. 

I do think the character of Lancel has reached a bit of an end, it may just be his own epilogue that we're waiting to learn.  If he was a character of greater importance, I would say it could turn around for him, he could have another epiphany that takes him in a new direction, free of the machinations and circumstance that have brought him to his present place.  But, I doubt it.  I think we have the fates of entirely too many characters of greater import hanging in a balance, Lancel is just waiting for his epitaph, I suspect. 

I think it is a combination of getting religion and giving up worldly desires, such as sex and good food; and rebelling against his family and fucking them over as best he can.  The marriage was arranged by his father Kevan Lannister; he had no interest in it.

I think the likelihood of his staying married to Amerei is roughly zero.  Might as well get an annulment and find a new husband (Daven, perhaps?).  

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:56 AM, norwaywolf123 said:

I can't see the Lannisters willingly giving up Darry so they might expect Amerei to marry Martyn who is Kevan's second surving son. Martyn also seems to be named after GRRM himself, maybe that is good sign for Martyn's fate? Also Daven Lannister is in the Riverlands currently, he is also unmarried so perhaps he could take Lancel's stead?

Daven is marrying some other Frey, would not play swap wives with Freys after the third book.

Archived