How good of a match would Jaime and Lysa have been?

Angel Eyes

Lysa would still have that crush on LF I assume so that is a pretty big speed bump, in addition to Jamie's sister-fucking, but I think overall they might have a okay-ish.

I've hear theories about how the Arryns are pretty inbreed so that, added to Jon Arryn's age, caused Lysa's stillbirths and Sweet Robbin's poor health. All that trauma and stress seems to have driven Lysa over a cliff. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem for Lysa Lannister.

How would this affect Robert Rebellion? Without Jamie as a glorified hostage would Tywin have taken the opportunity to murder-kill-death Aerys for all of his shitty behaviour?

It probably would have worked. Lysa and Jaime might not be happy or content with eachother, but their children mothered by Lysa would not be bastards. Jaime might keep something on the side though.

Still of the Tully sisters, i think that Catelyn would be better with Jaime. Not for her sake but for his sake. Maybe Jaime would become more responisible then? Lysa could instead marry Eddard Stark.

3 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Lysa and Jaime might not be happy or content with eachother, but their children mothered by Lysa would not be bastards.

Seems like the best outcome nobels can hope for, they might have a lot of privileges but a happy marriage isn't a part of the deal.

4 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Jaime might keep something on the side though.

I wonder how Lysa would take that.

Lysa would have found Jaime much more palatable than Old Jon Arryn. Jaime was an incredibly good looking dude, an accomplished knight, and of highest birth. The Golden Boy could have (eventually) swept Lysa off her feet and caused her to forget little weasely, wimpy Petyr, or at the very least, find that Petyr suffered greatly by comparison with Jaime Lannister. (Why did I ever think I loved him??)

Moreover, this would have put Lysa in the midst of a very large competitive, politically connected, wealthy family, probably based at Casterly Rock or at least Lannisport, not isolated far away up in the "impregnable" mountains. That would have suited her sanity better. Having lots of golden-haired children would have made a big difference; she would have been very unlikely to have breast-fed any of them past the age of six, as she did with sickly little "Sweetrobin."

The resulting story (if any) would have been dramatically different.

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Say if a match between Lysa and Jaime had gone through, would it have worked?  

No, but this time not because of Lysa.

The problem with Lysa's marriage to Jon Arryn is that Littlefinger was a valeman as well, and Jon Arryn allowed him to get close to him and Lysa. If Lysa marries Jaime, then she has to go to the Westerlands, she most likely will never see Littlefinger ever again.

Life at Casterly Rock would de far easier if compared to King's Landing, and Jaime was young while Jon Arryn was older than her own father. The problem here is Jaime though, Jaime would still be highly influenced by Cersei, and Jaime was a puppet before he lost his hand. Cersei might very well want her dead if she feels that Lysa is taking Jaime away from her.

5 minutes ago, theMADdestScientist_ said:

Life at Casterly Rock would de far easier if compared to King's Landing, and Jaime was young while Jon Arryn was older than her own father. The problem here is Jaime though, Jaime would still be highly influenced by Cersei, and Jaime was a puppet before he lost his hand. Cersei might very well want her dead if she feels that Lysa is taking Jaime away from her.

You make some good points! On the other hand, if Jaime was at Casterly Rock and being groomed by Lord Tywin as his heir, while Cersei was on the other side of the continent in King's Landing, under (har!) Robert Baratheon, her influence on Jaime would be dramatically decreased - and that would be good. If Jaime and Lysa could have formed a bond, much as Catelyn did with Ned, Jaime could break the Cersei bondage thing he's had going since his birth (analogous to Lysa getting over her obsession with wormy little Littlefinger).

I admit either might have been a big "if". Jaime joined the Kingsguard to avoid marriage to Lysa, after all. What's the timeline? Had Lysa already been impregnated by Littlefinger, and forced to abort by Hoster? If so, she would have been whiny and resentful, seeking revenge and renewed contact with her "love". If the marriage predated that drunken tryst, however, Lysa might just have been whiny and immature. Hmmm.

Neither would of been particularly happy or love each other, but if they managed to have children I think they could of found happiness in those and so the marriage could work with Cersei and Baelish at a distance.

This scenario would have to ledge on Jaime not being appointed to the Kingsguard, which would change a lot more than just Jaime and Lysa's marriage match. Chances are King's Landing is reduced to ashes, though the post rebellion Westeros might be more peaceful given the unhappy couple would be free from Cersei and Littlefinger respectively and the complications that relationship causes. Hard to say if that would make things better or worse.

It might have worked superficially.  They may even have developed feelings for each other and have children together but sooner or later Jaime would go back to fucking Cersei and Lysa would get spun around and manipulated by Littlefinger.  Eventually aliens would descend in classic flying saucers and set things to rights applying shoestring here and bubblegum there to cobble together the series of events presented in the current books. 

On 5/23/2018 at 12:03 PM, zandru said:

You make some good points! On the other hand, if Jaime was at Casterly Rock and being groomed by Lord Tywin as his heir, while Cersei was on the other side of the continent in King's Landing, under (har!) Robert Baratheon, her influence on Jaime would be dramatically decreased - and that would be good. If Jaime and Lysa could have formed a bond, much as Catelyn did with Ned, Jaime could break the Cersei bondage thing he's had going since his birth (analogous to Lysa getting over her obsession with wormy little Littlefinger).

I admit either might have been a big "if". Jaime joined the Kingsguard to avoid marriage to Lysa, after all. What's the timeline? Had Lysa already been impregnated by Littlefinger, and forced to abort by Hoster? If so, she would have been whiny and resentful, seeking revenge and renewed contact with her "love". If the marriage predated that drunken tryst, however, Lysa might just have been whiny and immature. Hmmm.

Timeline would be before Tourney at Harrenhal.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, Ylath's Snout said:

Lysa would still have that crush on LF I assume so that is a pretty big speed bump, in addition to Jamie's sister-fucking, but I think overall they might have a okay-ish.

I've hear theories about how the Arryns are pretty inbreed so that, added to Jon Arryn's age, caused Lysa's stillbirths and Sweet Robbin's poor health. All that trauma and stress seems to have driven Lysa over a cliff. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem for Lysa Lannister.

How would this affect Robert Rebellion? Without Jamie as a glorified hostage would Tywin have taken the opportunity to murder-kill-death Aerys for all of his shitty behaviour?

So many what if questions lately.  Jaime and Lysa could not work.  Jaime is too stubborn to accept anybody else.  

Just now, Moiraine Sedai said:

So many what if questions lately.

I'm pretty new here so I can't say anything about a trend but I hardly think it is surprising that fans that loves to think about a subject might have a what-if idea from time to time.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Jaime and Lysa could not work.  Jaime is too stubborn to accept anybody else.  

Maybe, it would happen so long ago that a lot of what formed Jamie into the person he is at the start of the story hasn't happened yet.

Archived