At what age did you move out of your parents house

Feologild

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

When I was 20 I was living in DC and talking to my dad on the phone when he told me "hey, we're moving to Gainesville."  So, that's when I guess.  I stayed with my parents for a few weeks after things went..bad in DC, but other than I don't think I could live with my parents during my adult life.  That's not a judgment nor even a passive-aggressive statement of superiority - my parents have helped me out financially many times throughout the years in ways most people aren't afforded such a benefit.  Just saying my parents can barely live with each other, and accordingly I'm always sure to keep my visits scheduled for a week or less, lest I kill them.

I love my mam so much and she has always been incredibly supportive, emotionally and financially (I mean as far a show she can financially since she doesn’t earn enough that’s she doesn’t have given watch the pennies. But she always tries to help if I need it). But good lord living with her drives me to distraction, I can’t really handle it. I think had I never moved out for uni and experienced that independence it would be so bad but as it is it’s terrible.

my relationship with my dad is complicated. He and my mam are still together but me and him...we’ll less said the better. Most of the time I can’t bear being in the same room as him

Moved 5,000 miles away to Hawaii when I was 21 in 1996. In 1997 I came back with tail between my legs.

Moved out of my parents' house again in 2006 and then my parents moved in with me in...2006.

But I'm glad I can be there for them and as long as I get my space it's a comfort having them here and doing what I can to take care of them.

Depends.

Went to a boarding school, so I was sort of moving out at 16. Definetely at 19. 

I did live at home for two months at one point since then, when healing from a broken leg, and getting ready to travel to Ethiopia for field work.

Moved out at 18 to go to Uni. Then I lived with a friend for a few years in the city. Then I moved into my Nan's house for about 6 months. And then moved back to my parents house when I was 22. 

I'm 24 now, still living there whilst I work part time, finish up my Masters degree and volunteer. Learning to drive also, and once that is done I'm going to try to move out as quickly as possible. 

I like my parents, I get along with them. They've been excellent to me in a lot of ways. But my god, I can't wait to leave. But everything is so freakin expensive & I'm going to have to move half way across the country for a decent job. So be it. 

Depends what you mean by "move out" I guess. I stopped living permanently at my parents' house when I was 18 and went out to work in Australia then Antigua. Then I was off to University for three years, then the military. But even though I wasn't permanently living at home, my parents' house still remained my home base and regular mailing address for a long time. It's where I would go back to during uni holidays or leave periods. I only got my own permanent address three years ago at age 28, so does that count as properly moving out?

I moved out at 19 to study in another city, which was in 1993, but for the first two or three years my parents were helping me financially, until I got a decent job on my third year at University. After graduating in 1998 I stayed in Warsaw and live there ever since, renting flats at first and buying my first one in 2000.

17 years old, when I left for college. I was financially supported during my bachelor and masters degree though. In fact, during my masters degree, I actually lived in the house of my brother, but then moved away again (actually changed the country again) after that.

18 years old is when I went to college, came back for the summer and my mom turned my room into the kids playroom (have two siblings 13 & 15 years younger).  Stayed w/ my dad the following 2 summers, and my mom insists to this day that she didn't kick me out, lol.  Last couple years at school I was able to take some self-study courses so I didn't have to move home, started my first 'real' job 3 days after graduation, and got my first apartment shortly after.  Moved from there into the house I bought when I was ~25 and continue to live in.

18, college. 

This was in the early 90s, when a college student could fairly easily work part time, pay for (partially scholarshipped) tuition at a state university and still afford a reasonable share of rent. Good luck with that today.

16  (almost 17)  I half moved out of my parents, and lived with my Gran during the week,  would go home for the weekends.  this was so I could get to work (my apprenticeship)  once I was 17 and passed my driving test I moved back home.  Public transport was not an option where my parents lived.  - I also found a lift from my grans on my first day.

at 23 I moved out and bought my first house.     I was very lucky,  I bought when houses where affordable.  My Brother bought his flat just a year later on the next street from me.  he paid a fair bit more than I did for a 3 bed house.  I have no idea how people manage to buy their first house now.

5 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I kinda miss living at home to be honest. Always got on great with my parents.

I don't know if I would go as far as to say that I miss it, but I'm with you here.  Never had any issues living with my parents.  I stayed with them for a couple months as an adult after grad school while I was working part-time and looking for a permanent job and it was completely fine.  Got along with them (for the most part) as a kid as well.  

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

18, college. 

This was in the early 90s, when a college student could fairly easily work part time, pay for (partially scholarshipped) tuition at a state university and still afford a reasonable share of rent. Good luck with that today.

Lol. That sounds like a lovely dream...

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

16  (almost 17)  I half moved out of my parents, and lived with my Gran during the week,  would go home for the weekends.  this was so I could get to work (my apprenticeship)  once I was 17 and passed my driving test I moved back home.  Public transport was not an option where my parents lived.  - I also found a lift from my grans on my first day.

at 23 I moved out and bought my first house.     I was very lucky,  I bought when houses where affordable.  My Brother bought his flat just a year later on the next street from me.  he paid a fair bit more than I did for a 3 bed house.  I have no idea how people manage to buy their first house now.

What is this “buying” of a house you speak of? Isn’t that just monopoly jargon?

hey guys I am an old fart.  Old enough to have bought my first house on my own, and not need a partners wage  (although that was a rare thing even then).   Now Git off my lawn. 

:fencing:    -   Closest emote for shaking a walking stick.

I was lucky,  I was born the right time and was able to take advantage of a lot of lucky breaks.  Its a privilege I don't take for granted.     I didn't do anything special for to get my first house and be in this position.   it was pure luck.

18 to go to uni, but I still go back in the summers. I’m renting a house with my girlfriend and another friend from August though after I graduate (aged 22) and I don’t see myself going back unless out of necessity. My older brother still lives with them (he’s nearly 24), but has a somewhat decent job now and will be moving out soon.

My parents don’t mind having us home, but have said that they definitely want us to move out and be financially independent by the time we’re 25, which I think is perfectly fair.

Archived