At what age did you move out of your parents house

Feologild

It is interesting for me to read the people saying "when I went to university, but I still came home for summers". Most university students in my country who move out of their parents' home and rent a flat/live in a dorm come home every weekend even during the semester.

I am 26 and still in my parents' home ... I moved out twice temporarily, once for my Erasmus semester and once for an internship abroad. Both times were the best of my life because I felt some independence. I would very much like to have my own household, but ... the truth is, even if you do have a normal long-term employment (which I don't), it does not make much financial sense to be paying a giant rent for years when you could be saving that money to once actually own a home (probably when you find a partner, want to have kids etc.), even if that means a few more years with your parents. (But then, I feel that the probability of one establishing a stable normal relationship with a partner is higher when one has a place to invite said partner without the parents being there. It is kind of messed-up logic, really.)

At 24. I had been wanting to move out sooner, but couldn't afford it.

Just before I turned 24 I got my current job, so I started saving. Few months later my grandma passed away, and after some time of thinking it, I moved to her apartment (now my place). Three years later I'm looking to buying a place of my own, but the economy isn't helping.

I never changed my mailing address, nor I ring before I visit my parents' place, because I still consider it second home. Funny thing is when my brother, that still lives there, asks me where things are kept... smh. 

8 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

It is interesting for me to read the people saying "when I went to university, but I still came home for summers". Most university students in my country who move out of their parents' home and rent a flat/live in a dorm come home every weekend even during the semester.

I am 26 and still in my parents' home ... I moved out twice temporarily, once for my Erasmus semester and once for an internship abroad. Both times were the best of my life because I felt some independence. I would very much like to have my own household, but ... the truth is, even if you do have a normal long-term employment (which I don't), it does not make much financial sense to be paying a giant rent for years when you could be saving that money to once actually own a home (probably when you find a partner, want to have kids etc.), even if that means a few more years with your parents. (But then, I feel that the probability of one establishing a stable normal relationship with a partner is higher when one has a place to invite said partner without the parents being there. It is kind of messed-up logic, really.)

Only because you live in a country the size of a postage stamp ;) :P 

17, when I went to university in Dublin, the other end of the country. Worked in Dublin during the summers, so while I went back for the odd weekend and Christmas, the longest I’ve stayed with them since is a week. Lived in shared accomodation through university and when I started work. 

with my parents help for a deposit, I bought an apartment at 22. My brother, in final year of university, and subsequently for his Masters, lived with me for 2 years, when my parents paid his rent. After that, I rented a room to others. 

When I was 29, my partner and I bought a house. We’re here since.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Pfffft. Wales is awesome, dude!!!

Quite, but the violent, alcoholic arsehole she was moving in with was not :( Although fortunately, the one and only time he tried to hit her, she decked him, grabbed all her stuff and moved back home immediately. By that point I was enjoying my independence and chose not to move back in.

I haven't had the time to read through all of the posts so far, but wanted to answer the question now.

I am 42 and there is only about 2 years total that I did not live with my parents.

I moved out when I was married at about 23.  Then, a year and a half later, my mom, my wife and I all lost our job (we worked at the same manufacturing plant and they moved to Canada) and my wife and I moved back in with my parents to pool our money.

Then my wife and I divorced and my mom passed within a year of each other.  It was this moment that I realized my Dad had never handled the bills or any of the household expenses, so he needed me to stay with him.

I have continued to live with my dad because he has Parkinson's disease and struggles with certain day to day life activities.

It may seem strange to a lot of people, but I never felt the need to move out and my parents never cared that I lived with them.  When I look back on my childhood I seem to remember always having an aunt or uncle living with us, so it may just be a family thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 3:58 PM, Buckwheat said:

Wasn't really possible for me as it was a 6 or 7 hour trip from my parents house to Uni.

10 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Wasn't really possible for me as it was a 6 or 7 hour trip from my parents house to Uni.

Not quite as far for me (by train at least...I don’t drive so I’m not sure how long it took, maybe as long as your 6/7 hours) but same reasoning here for me. I only ever went home if I would be able to stop for at least a week, otherwise the travelling just seemed more hassle than it was worth. My friend who lived in Peterborough went home a lot more often though, since it was only 45 minutes train journey.

Oh which reminds me, cost also stopped me going home more often. When a round trip sets you back £55 minimum and you’re on a budget...

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh which reminds me, cost also stopped me going home more often. When a round trip sets you back £55 minimum and you’re on a budget...

Yupp. It was about £100 round trip for me to. On a student budget not really doable. I went home for Christmas and that was it pretty much.

Finally and for the last time, at 23. 

When I was 18 I went to University quite some distance from home (that's a long story in and of itself that I won't get into here).  For the next two years I come home over the summers and on longer holiday breaks.  After 2 years I decided school wasn't working for me so I took some time off, lived at my parent's home, and worked.   I then went back to school, though much closer this time.  I still didn't come home that often even though I was living in a dorm.  At 23 I got married and my new wife and I moved into an apartment together.  That's when I took all my stuff out of my parent's place, except some items that I put into storage there.  

I had to revisit some of the same emotions after my dad passed a few years ago and we were moving my mom to a nursing home (advanced parkinson's, can't take care of herself).   The house was sold (my dad had already made those arrangements before passing) and we had to clear their stuff out.  I found that there were a surprising amount of stuff of mine from my childhood still around.  It was surreal to see that house, which they had occupied for 46 years, empty.  

Archived