House frey wealth

History

Very large income from their lands, but not so much from the crossing anymore. It hasn't served as a key military point for more than 300 years, and the main trade routes follow the King's Road now. It's much easier to move goods up and down the Fork to Saltpans and Maidenpool then to cross at the Twins to the market towns on the other side of the river.

6 hours ago, History said:

How wealthy is house frey since from the tv and books it seems thst their fees to use bridge are high and walder frey never spends money, he like the westeros version of scrooge?

The Freys are one of the wealthiest families in Westeros.  Behind only the Lannisters, Tyrells, Hightowers, and Redwyne.  Hundreds of years of collecting toll built their wealth.  The river lands are also fertile and they profit from the bounty.

23 hours ago, History said:

How wealthy is house frey

They are the richest vassal house in the third richest region of Westeros. They'd certainly be one of the top 20 richest Houses in the entire realm, perhaps even in the top 10. 

walder frey never spends money, he like the westeros version of scrooge?

Not sure where you get that idea from. 

"Fair Walda?" Awkwardly, Jaime tried to hold the bread with his stump while tearing it with his left hand.
"Fat Walda. My lord of Frey offered me my bride's weight in silver for a dowry, so I chose accordingly. 

This is an extravagant offer for a marriage dowry.

We are also told about how expensive it is for a lord to have sons who wish to be knights

"Sunderland would require me to hand you over if he knew of you." Borrell did fealty for Sweetsister, as Longthorpe did for Longsister and Torrent for Littlesister; all were sworn to Triston Sunderland, the Lord of the Three Sisters. "He'd sell you to the queen for a pot of that Lannister gold. Poor man needs every dragon, with seven sons all determined to be knights." The lord picked up a wooden spoon and attacked his stew again. "I used to curse the gods who gave me only daughters until I heard Triston bemoaning the cost of destriers. You would be surprised to know how many fish it takes to buy a decent suit of plate and mail."

And the vast majority of Walder's male sons are knights or training to be knights, even the bastards. This is another extravagance, him constantly remarrying and having more children is an extravagance. 

Speaking of knights we know how expensive it is travelling and entering tourneys, unless you are the winner, from both Jorah and Dunc

"You are aware," the man said, "that those vanquished in tourney forfeit their arms, armor, and horse to the victors, and must needs ransom them back?"

and yet many of Walder's brood travel and enter the lists

"I fight as well as any man, Khaleesi, but I have never been a tourney knight. Yet with Lynesse's favor knotted round my arm, I was a different man. I won joust after joust. Lord Jason Mallister fell before me, and Bronze Yohn Royce. Ser Ryman Frey, his brother Ser Hosteen, Lord Whent, Strongboar, even Ser Boros Blount of the Kingsguard, I unhorsed them all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bronze Yohn's heir, Ser Andar Royce, and his younger brother Ser Robar, their silvered steel plate filigreed in bronze with the same ancient runes that warded their father. The twins Ser Horas and Ser Hobber, whose shields displayed the grape cluster sigil of the Redwynes, burgundy on blue. Patrek Mallister, Lord Jason's son. Six Freys of the Crossing: Ser Jared, Ser Hosteen, Ser Danwell, Ser Emmon, Ser Theo, Ser Perwyn, sons and grandsons of old Lord Walder Frey, and his bastard son Martyn Rivers as well.

Now this is not evidence of their wealth, but it shows that Walder is not some kind of scrooge who is tight with his wealth. 

During the war of the five kings we know ransoming prisoners, for the right price, is an option. 

The captives ate at their own table in the Hall of a Hundred Hearths, and could often be seen about the grounds. Four brothers took their exercise together every day, fighting with staves and wooden shields in the Flowstone Yard. Three of them were Freys of the Crossing, the fourth their bastard brother. They were only there a short time, though; one morning two other brothers arrived under a peace banner with a chest of gold, and ransomed them from the knights who'd captured them. The six Freys all left together.
No one ransomed the northmen, though.

This is another subtle showing of the wealth of House Frey.

And finally we get their display of wealth at White Harbour

You saw them, the arrogant Ser Jared and his nephew Rhaegar, that smirking worm who wears a dragon's name. Behind them both stands Symond, clinking coins. That one has bought and paid for several of my servants and two of my knights. One of his wife's handmaids has found her way into the bed of my own fool. 

two things stand out here, Rhaegar's, who is pretty far down the line of succession, wife has as many handmaidens as we have seen with the Starks and Wyman, the richest man in the North, is aware they have the wealth to bribe his own men. 

the Frey's being poor seems to come from the tv show were they have them all dress in a dour black clothing to separate them from the likes of the Northerners and the Riverlanders under the Tully's. It makes them look poorer in comparison. 

2 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

the Frey's being poor seems to come from the tv show were they have them all dress in a dour black clothing to separate them from the likes of the Northerners and the Riverlanders under the Tully's. It makes them look poorer in comparison. 

And we know those guys aren't biased :rolleyes:

The show wanted to downgrade the Freys.  

Archived