All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

Apologies if there is already a generic Star Wars thread - I found film and TV programme threads, but nothing for the whole franchise.

The Guardian has ranked the Star Wars films, with no real surprises https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/24/every-star-wars-film-ranked-solo-skywalker except ... The Phantom Menace comes below the Ewok films?  

But it is now regarded with affection for its ingenuous enthusiasm, comedy and energy.” - referring to the Christmas special

Seems very out of touch, given I don’t know anyone who regards it with affection. I’ve only watched clips of it and it makes me die inside.

Has anyone here seen Solo yet? The response has been a resounding “meh” as far as I can tell.

Edit: Sorry about the weird format

My wife and son are usually the prime agitators to see each new SW film but they’re both indifferent toward Solo.  My son wants to see the Avengers movie this weekend instead.  

I’d like to see Solo, but I may have to wait for it to reaching streaming services. 

I don’t attach religious significance to each new SW world.  I just enjoy a visit to that world, and I’ve enjoyed the rendering in the Disney sequels much more than in the CGI prequels. 

I'm going to see Solo at some point this weekend with my gf who is indifferent about Star Wars. I'll be interested to see if she as a casual/non-fan enjoys the movie on its own merits. 

My expectations are similar to what they were for Rogue One (which I ended up enjoying quite a bit). 

5 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Apologies if there is already a generic Star Wars thread - I found film and TV programme threads, but nothing for the whole franchise.

The Guardian has ranked the Star Wars films, with no real surprises https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/24/every-star-wars-film-ranked-solo-skywalker except ... The Phantom Menace comes below the Ewok films?  

Sooo much of that is wrong.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

On the Holiday Special.

Is it though, Guardian? Is it really?

I suspect this is akin to On Her Majesty's Secret Service (the worst Bond, the worst Bond film, one of the best Bond girls) - the author of the piece is trying to make it "so bad it's cool", hoping others will jump on board.

The author is also implying that Solo is shaping up to be the most underrated SW film. While it's true that the fan base in less enthusiastic about it than the previous films, you can't really make that kind of a claim, until, you know, the film is released to the general public, and some time passes until you can get a general consensus on it.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

AotC is the best prequel?? :lmao:

It's a Mosi Mynn thread :)

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The author is also implying that Solo is shaping up to be the most underrated SW film. While it's true that the fan base in less enthusiastic about it than the previous films, you can't really make that kind of a claim, until, you know, the film is released to the general public, and some time passes until you can get a general consensus on it.

Yeah "least anticipated" is a far better label at this point. Word of mouth could turn this into a favourite as of yet. I think it will need to be word of mouth as a lot of people were burned by the glowing reviews of TLJ.

5 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Unless they rate hate watching above just bad the list is pretty out there.

Great idea to have a general thread though. We have one for the MCU and it's clear Disney want the same amount of material with Star Wars. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago we needed an all encompassing one to cover TV/Cartoon/Film/comics/books so thanks for setting it up.

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

Great idea to have a general thread though. We have one for the MCU and it's clear Disney want the same amount of material with Star Wars. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago we needed an all encompassing one to cover TV/Cartoon/Film/comics/books so thanks for setting it up.

No worries :)

Just to clarify: I think AOTC is the worst Star Wars film.  I could hardly sit through it.

I would rank the prequels thusly:

1) The Phantom Menace

2) Revenge of the Sith (and it's only so high because AOTC is so so bad)

10)  Attack of the Clones

Solo is a great movie. I'd rank it above The Last Jedi and Rogue One, maybe slightly above The Force Awakens although I did enjoy the energy of the new cast in that one. It confirms that Lawrence Kasdan is an invaluable writer to the franchise, and certainly the one who nails Han Solo the best.

More than that would require a spoiler thread, but this is also the geekiest Star Wars film. Lots of nods to the Expanded Universe, the books and then an absolutely massive moment at the end that blindsided about 90% of the audience (the other 10% were like "Meh, we already knew this," smugly). Also, very fine character use. Emilia Clarke's character absolutely did not go the way I was expecting.

The Boba Fett movie is back on.

Unless it's Kasdan's idea - that an unknown, taciturn badass turns up between trilogies, murders the prequel trilogy Fett and steals his identity, thus restoring the unknown ambiguity of the character - I'm not sure I want to know.

Although the Twitter idea of Taika Waititi directing a more melancholy-but-funny movie about an aged Temuera Morrison version of Fett is also starting to grow on me.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Solo is a great movie. I'd rank it above The Last Jedi and Rogue One, maybe slightly above The Force Awakens although I did enjoy the energy of the new cast in that one. It confirms that Lawrence Kasdan is an invaluable writer to the franchise, and certainly the one who nails Han Solo the best.

More than that would require a spoiler thread, but this is also the geekiest Star Wars film. Lots of nods to the Expanded Universe, the books and then an absolutely massive moment at the end that blindsided about 90% of the audience (the other 10% were like "Meh, we already knew this," smugly). Also, very fine character use. Emilia Clarke's character absolutely did not go the way I was expecting.

That's so good to hear, I could cry.

Solo is passable IMO.  They nail the Han and Chewie stuff and Lando is good but it is a very, very, VERY paint by numbers story.  And the part I assume Wert is talking about at the end is completely out of left field and frankly just poorly done and is just sequel bait.  

EDIT Let me rephrase out of left field for anyone who hasn't watched the TV shows.  Very much obvious to those who have.

The ending was by far the best part in my opinion. I don't really see how they could have hinted more at the sequel baiting twist that occured, without ruining the surprise

Solo spoilers:

Spoiler

Plus the name Crimson Dawn and Bettany's facial scarring are nice and subtle reference to Maul in and of itself

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

The Boba Fett movie is back on.

Unless it's Kasdan's idea - that an unknown, taciturn badass turns up between trilogies, murders the prequel trilogy Fett and steals his identity, thus restoring the unknown ambiguity of the character - I'm not sure I want to know.

Although the Twitter idea of Taika Waititi directing a more melancholy-but-funny movie about an aged Temuera Morrison version of Fett is also starting to grow on me.

Kasdan's idea while personally preferred is pretty much doomed unless they cast another actor of Maori descent. Otherwise it looks pretty bad given the general lack of representation.

I'd love a taika waititi version. He could possibly play the lead too.

Edit: correcting my phone's autocorrect.

Daniel Logan is all grown up. Wow. 30 now.

No clue to his acting ability, but it'd be cool to see him continue the role, like other Star Wars actors have done over the years.

ETA: Ok, he's done almost nothing except voicing Fett Clone Wars and playing "Captain Fett" in a Sharknado movie.  He has truly embraced his destiny.

Archived