All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

15 hours ago, red snow said:

Make sure you take lots of photos of them and the sets. And when no-one is looking play with them before selling them.

When I was a kid I used to look forward to Halloween as one of the local shops would put a star wars toy display in the window.

Who says I'm not playing with them now?

Pew pew...

I used to love large displays of things. Towns, train sets, toys, etc. If I had the space (that was out of sight I guess), I'd probably do that. 

1 minute ago, Myrddin said:

Who says I'm not playing with them now?

Pew pew...

I used to love large displays of things. Towns, train sets, toys, etc. If I had the space (that was out of sight I guess), I'd probably do that. 

Yeah I used to set up the entire bedroom as a Star Wars scene. I'd have the Empire on one side and Rebels on the other with ships on the bed and dresser as if they were in the air, then land speeders, Tantaun, Hoth set on floor with the figures all facing off. Until someone would walk by and the floor would shake and all the figures would start falling over!

But Jace's figure was the best of them all.

As an aside, my older brother had no idea how to play with the Star Wars figures. He'd have one in each hand and walk around, make them fight and that was it. I was like dbunting and had ongoing stories in my head that spanned multiple days and a cast of thousands! Ok, cast of dozens + every other figure I could get my hands on to fill out ranks. Figures "borrowed" from my brothers' rooms, Playmobil, superheroes, etc were who they needed to be. My younger brother played like this too.

My boys? Like my older brother. When they did play with the figures, they'd have 2-4 and that was it. Too many seemed to confuse them. Not sure if I was the different one or if times have changed.

I won't get into how much I enjoyed the short lived Disney Infinity game...

Kids! Git off my lawn but leave your toys!

18 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Well, I actually still have all my Star Wars and GI Joe toys. My parents downsized, so I took all my old toys home thinking my boys would play with them. Nope. Now I'm torn what to do with the toys. Don't want to sell them. But we are kind of strapped for storage in this house. I'm about to do a general toy cull since most of the toys (new and "vintage") are doing nothing but filling a large closet.

The one thing that is going into the heap this summer is a 2x2x3 foot GI Joe wooden base I built as a kid. It's the PITT. Top/roof looks like a normal army base but working vehicle elevator leads down to a 6 story underground base. Think it ever got used? Nope. Not a tablet or Xbox. I hate to toss it, but I'm tired of walking around it.

Everything else will probably end up on ebay...

That's what storage units are for.  Kind of an inner child man cave. Throw some of those glow-in-the-dark stars all over the walls and ceiling and geek out.

My cousin and I were both into it back then. I remember we would even let Vader and Luke fly. We would use fishing poles and tie the string around their waist to raise them up and down like they were levitating. Poor Han Solo....we decided to do the opposite of the carbon freeze after ESB. We dug a little hole, then a trench leading to it, poured in gasoline and poof! Carbon version of Solo! Take that for kissing Leia you bastard!

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So much privilege here. ;)

As far as I can remember, the only Star Wars toy I've ever had was some version of Luke's green lightsaber. 

I remember being very young and screaming at my mom at the Woolco to buy me a Darth Vader action figure.  I was screaming at her all the way out the door.  She was being uncooperative all the way out the door.  I was totally being "that kid".  Onlookers must have been horrified.

As I screamed at mom to "BUY ME THIS  PLEEEASE MOM!!!", I was pleasantly surprised to discover "THIS"  was in my hand and my grubby little hand was outside of the store and outside of the mall.  I shut up just then.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.  Try to blame me.

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So much privilege here. ;)

As far as I can remember, the only Star Wars toy I've ever had was some version of Luke's green lightsaber. 

Please, I just ran around with my imaginery pink lightsaber making the sounds and all myself. Though on ocassions i’d be Leia instead and pretend to have a blaster.

There we’re still ongoing storylines in this imagination...

You guys do realize that those of us "privileged" people still spent a lot of swinging sticks/broom handles while making buzz sounds? I built so many playsets and vehicles and blasters and stuff out of cardboard (and later wood) it's not even funny.

Sometime when I was in high school, I recall a gripping duel with my brother, where he had a plastic broom stick and went Darth Maul on me, and I had a thin PVC pipe and went Obi-Wan. I think we were swinging hard enough, that the broomstick bent, and that's where our duel of the fates ended.

45 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

You guys do realize that those of us "privileged" people still spent a lot of swinging sticks/broom handles while making buzz sounds? I built so many playsets and vehicles and blasters and stuff out of cardboard (and later wood) it's not even funny.

Relax, I wasn’t being overly serious. It is true I didn’t have any of the Star Wars Toys And just made do with imagination but the privilege thing was just a joke

6 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Pink lightsaber? That sounds kinda dope. My imaginary saber was black.

I recall once or twice I was a dual-wielder with an orange and a yellow, that’s was fun. Iirc that iteration was a bounty hunter

Thank you for that. One moment I was sharing fond childhood memories and then I felt like I was being flipped off for having toys. Overly sensitive, I guess. :blushing:

I'm fine with everything said and take it with the levity it was meant.

So saying that, I know I was privileged as a kid, I know I was spoiled rotten. I've grown to be contrite about it now but also what was done was done. I have good memories and I'm going to share them as well as be grateful for the happy childhood I had.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Please, I just ran around with my imaginery pink lightsaber making the sounds and all myself. Though on ocassions i’d be Leia instead and pretend to have a blaster.

There we’re still ongoing storylines in this imagination...

The rolls from the insides of wrapping paper (or bizarrely long kitchen roll from kid perspective) were ideal props for lightsaber duels with my brothers

Archived