All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

1 hour ago, red snow said:

The rolls from the insides of wrapping paper (or bizarrely long kitchen roll from kid perspective) were ideal props for lightsaber duels with my brothers

Until they were rendered to shreds. :fencing:

The branch hut some well intentioned (but sadly over optimistic) teacher built on our school field made for a good stand in for the ewok huts on Endor. Until, being the brats we were, our school, um, destroyed it...

What about flashlights? Sure you had to imagine the sabers connecting but nothing beat carrying one around in your pocket or inside your belt, then drawing it out and flicking the switch and in your head hearing the snap, hiss as the light came on.

Then your mom or dad would catch you and you'd be in trouble because flashlights were "not a toy!"

I do remember finding some really nice long sticks once and a friend and I playing jedi duel with them. We acted out each movie saber battle. My friend was Vader and first I was Obiwan and we'd fight until I held my lightsaber straight up and he'd hit me in the arm and I'd fall to the ground. Then I'd be Luke on Bespin and we'd play until he "cut" my hand off. Funny though, when we got to the third movie my friend would complain he was tired of being Vader. 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:33 PM, Mosi Mynn said:

No worries :)

Just to clarify: I think AOTC is the worst Star Wars film.  I could hardly sit through it.

I would rank the prequels thusly:

1) The Phantom Menace

2) Revenge of the Sith (and it's only so high because AOTC is so so bad)

10)  Attack of the Clones

RotS is the best prequel by a country mile, it has some amazing scenes in it, Order 66 and all the Jedi deaths being a personal favourite.

(My main complaint with it is they had to fit so much into one film because they blew the other two on pod racing and a love story)

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Relax, I wasn’t being overly serious. It is true I didn’t have any of the Star Wars Toys And just made do with imagination but the privilege thing was just a joke

I recall once or twice I was a dual-wielder with an orange and a yellow, that’s was fun. Iirc that iteration was a bounty hunter

I didn’t actually like SW when I was little, I only started to like it in my teens, I’m somewhat of a traditionalist though I’d not have considered having an imaginary pink lightsaber :P.

3 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

RotS is the best prequel by a country mile, it has some amazing scenes in it, Order 66 and all the Jedi deaths being a personal favourite.

(My main complaint with it is they had to fit so much into one film because they blew the other two on pod racing and a love story)

There was a love story?

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

There was a love story?

Anakin and Obi Wan

Broke Kenobi's heart. Lived his days as a hermit afterward.

12 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Anakin and Obi Wan

Broke Kenobi's heart. Lived his days as a hermit afterward.

I don’t know, I think Obi Wan was quite a character around the cantinas, drowning his sorrows and cutting off limbs.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:55 PM, Lord Sidious said:

RotS (what are they getting revenge for?) is pretty much unwatchable for me because of Anakin.  His fall was done so so badly.  And the last fight with Obi Wan, and how Obi Wan leaves him, is cringey in the extreme.

I love this franchise... and its given me so much from the time I was 13 and saw a New Hope in theaters... (the Vader scene towards the end of Rogue One was among the best things I've ever seen ever.... ever.)... but that doesn't mean that --given the nature of fandom-- that its beyond editorial critiques, provided perspective is applied....  

I stared watching Clone Wars about a week ago. While I do have some major issues, there are quite a few interesting bits in terms of obscure characters and details of the main story. It is beyond me why only the first two seasons are on Netflix. I suppose it’s one of the many discriminations of the entertainment industry we must suffer in the EU. 

26 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I stared watching Clone Wars about a week ago. While I do have some major issues, there are quite a few interesting bits in terms of obscure characters and details of the main story. It is beyond me why only the first two seasons are on Netflix. I suppose it’s one of the many discriminations of the entertainment industry we must suffer in the EU. 

Also shitty the final season was never made any n large part because of Disney's acquisition and them wanting their own material. I guess they at least allowed filloni to follow it up with rebels instead of completely binning clone wars

RotS is the best prequel by a country mile

I think it's easily a weaker film than TPM: it has a decidedly weaker score (although a lot better than AotC's), far inferior lightsabre fights, horrific dialogue ("I can't...bear...to...watch!"), another fucking Yoda lightsabre fight (NO), a revolting over-use of CGI where it is unnecessary, Natalie Portman giving up even the vaguest pretence of trying any more, General Grievous (who is almost as irritating as Jar-Jar) and ridiculous shoehorned-in references to the rest of the franchise where it doesn't make sense. It also has that problem with AotC of scenes going on really long for no real purpose.

The fight between Mace Windu and the Emperor where he accidentally ages himself by Force lightening himself in the face for no discernible reason is probably the worst scene in the entire saga to data, bar absolutely none. It goes beyond cringe. If you killed George Lucas and presented the scene as mitigation in your trial, you'd probably walk, probably with damages from Lucasfilm thrown in as well.

The best scene in the film is the one with no dialogue, which I think sums it up very well.

TPM on the other hand has the best score of the entire series, one of the best lightsabre fights (even if the choreography is a bit OTT, but they sell it), it's pretty snappily edited and paced with short scenes that don't drag on (even if the film is structurally weird and has a lot of redundant scenes of the Emperor talking to the Federation dudes via hologram for no reason as they're not discussing any new information), Liam Neeson is pretty good, the pod racer set piece is decent and the movie has Brian Blessed in it being Brian Blessed, which is a key and often-underrated point. It also has some fantastic sets and locations, and some key use of real locations and models rather than relying too much on greenscreen and CGI (there's still a fair bit but nothing as bad as its two sequels).

It does have Jar-Jar and Annoying Child Anakin, which means it can never be a good film, but I think at this point it is inarguably superior to AotC (which has no redeeming features whatsoever) and a strong case can be made for it versus RotS. I think a key swing factor is that TPM doesn't really have to do much apart from showing Anakin meeting Obi-Wan and us seeing the Republic at its height and the Jedi when they were more common place, and it nails those low-hanging goals. RotS has to live up to a hell of a lot more expectations and doesn't only fail, it's an near-unmitigated disaster.

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I think there was more, but the licence expired and Disney pulled them. They'll pull the rest as soon as they can. All of Disney's content (and, if the deal closes, all of Fox's) is going on their new streaming service launching next year.

I ended up buying the Clone Wars on Blu-Ray in the end, and have been collecting Rebels as it comes out, as there's pretty much no other reliable way of getting to see them in the UK.

26 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, Wert, I think we fundamentally disagree about just everything Star Wars related.

Yeah, other than Order 66 being the best scene (if that’s what he was referring to) I don’t agree with much of that post either. RotS is by far the best of the prequels, imo. Definitely the one I’ve watched the most anyway. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, other than Order 66 being the best scene (if that’s what he was referring to) I don’t agree with much of that post either. RotS is by far the best of the prequels, imo. Definitely the one I’ve watched the most anyway. 

Either that or Anakin being put into the suit.

He's right about AotC having the weakest score though. The last 40 mins or so of that one are all music tracked in from TPM, it's weird.

Anyone who thinks Revenge of Sith is the 'best' prequel is the kind of person who liked Rogue One.

And the kind of person who liked Rogue One is brain dead. 

Not even trying to be mean. These are just trufs.

Archived