All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Poe especially. 

Poe is easily the worst of the new characters. An absolute Jar Jar. That JJ thought not actually killing him off and retaining the character is yet another nail in the coffin that is the Star Wars Abrahms experience. 

10 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/04/guess-where-star-wars-makes-real-money-not-in-the-theaters.html

The article is a few years old but you get the idea.

In the infographic mid way down, going forward everything below the blue bits at the top; that all belongs to disney now.

Edit: Many of the blue bits belong to them as well.

So you think Disney has made it's money back in 5 years based on a graph that covers everything that has happened in the 36 years prior.   This is the problem with your post.  Where is the actual numbers?  You are pointing at what Lucas made, not what Disney has.  If Disney has made even 3 billion off toys that's great!  But show me some actual numbers, not fantasy camp.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't think the toy numbers where down until recently, but I'm also not sure how you calculate profit from that.

Per this article, Disney has done over $4bn from ticket sales of Star Wars _alone_. 

And then they have video games, merchandising, theme park attractions, the TV shows, music, and all sorts of other things. While I don't know for certain how much they've made, they've had 5 years of this where the average toy sales were well over 1bn per year. 

6 minutes ago, كالدب said:

Per this article, Disney has done over $4bn from ticket sales of Star Wars _alone_. 

And then they have video games, merchandising, theme park attractions, the TV shows, music, and all sorts of other things. While I don't know for certain how much they've made, they've had 5 years of this where the average toy sales were well over 1bn per year. 

Except they haven't done $4 billion dollars from ticket sales.  At all as shown in my post above. Which calls into question the rest of your info.  Besides the basic grammar errors and such in that article point to its quality.

31 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

So you think Disney has made it's money back in 5 years based on a graph that covers everything that has happened in the 36 years prior.   This is the problem with your post.  Where is the actual numbers?  You are pointing at what Lucas made, not what Disney has.  If Disney has made even 3 billion off toys that's great!  But show me some actual numbers, not fantasy camp.

What, people suddenly stopped buying merch?  I show you a credible source that demonstrates that box office receipts are just one revenue stream out of many and your response is "prove to me that it's not different now".  Christ, this is getting tedious.

No I'm not going to dig through Disney's quaterly reports or scour the internet for figures that might not exist to convince you.  This is a totally uncontroversial concept to every single person except you.

14 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Except they haven't done $4 billion dollars from ticket sales.  At all as shown in my post above. Which calls into question the rest of your info.  Besides the basic grammar errors and such in that article point to its quality.

Still fixating on ticket sales. Keep tooting that horn, Sunshine.  Someone'll listen.

Let's see, who's more credible: Business Insider or some internet so-and-so with "Hideous C.H.U.D." in his handle.

Gee, I dunno...

26 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

You can try this one if you like. It's a pretty common article.

Here's a Fool article estimating that Disney makes $500m per year on licensing in addition to making about $1bn in profit from the first two movies. If that were true, they'd also be in the black now (especially as the $500m per year doesn't include deals with WB, Netflix for movies, the Rebels series, the books, and the video games). 

And here's an article indicating that TLJ (so far) made about $400m in profit from the theatrical run; this doesn't include dvd and streaming sales.

For those wanting numbers this article mentions 4 billion in merchandise which even with only a percentage getting back to Disney sounds like major income https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/01/18/with-star-wars-toys-the-force-is-strong-but-retail-sales-arent

Although the article does point out that sales are also dropping so it's another thing Disney need to consider - the films possibly aren't driving sales anymore. That said the article is correct in pointing out the last Jedi did not feature many new characters that would appeal as toys beyond the puffin things and hardcore adult collectors. Force awakens clearly had a whole bunch of new characters but I guess kids don't need another kylo, Finn or Rey. In that sense I can imagine rogue one was a better film than last Jedi in terms of several new toys

Film profit: roughly $1.5 billion ($800 million TFA, $400 million TLJ, $300 million R1) box office.

Blu-Ray income from the USA alone: $151 million TFA, $66 million R1, $57 million TLJ (The Force Awakens is the third-biggest selling Blu-Ray of all time, btw). Worldwide you can comfortably more than double that, add in a lot from streaming and TV rights as well. DVD sales would likely be a massive increase on that. Disney take almost all the profit from these sales direct. Combined home media and streaming sales likely heavily exceed $1 billion.

Toy income: $700 million in fiscal year 2015-16, a bit less in 2016-17 and a lot less in 2017-18 (although it's still the second-biggest brand at retail). Total sales seem to be in the $1.5 billion range (Red Snow, the $4 billion sale was for all of Disney's properties combined, including Marvel/Pixar etc). Lucasfilm's cut is 20% (as seen in the recent Netflix toy documentary), so about $300 million in profit to Disney.

Video game income: The major sales juggernaut here is Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefront II, which have sold 22 million copies between them and generated c. $1.5 billion in revenue. Disney's cut I've heard is as high as 50%, which seems insane but not impossible (and explains the increasingly weird creative accounting EA is doing on the games, declaring Battlefront I a failure even though it exceeded projections). 30% is much more likely, which would give Disney $500 million from those two games alone. There's also all of the profit Disney has made from The Old Republic since 2012 and the income from re-releases of older games, which is not negligible but probably not hugely significant.

Additional income: the books, comics, the Fantasy Flight board games and roleplaying games, the adult-oriented collectibles (which don't shift many units but have huge margin), profits from the international sales of Rebels and The Clone Wars, profits from international sales of Episodes II-VI etc.

Conclusion: Star Wars has certainly made well clear of $3 billion in pure profit for Disney and likely close to the $4 billion break-even point. That's less than six years to make a return on one of the biggest entertainment deals in history, which isn't too shabby at all.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

What, people suddenly stopped buying merch?  I show you a credible source that demonstrates that box office receipts are just one revenue stream out of many and your response is "prove to me that it's not different now".  Christ, this is getting tedious.

No I'm not going to dig through Disney's quaterly reports or scour the internet for figures that might not exist to convince you.  This is a totally uncontroversial concept to every single person except you.

Still fixating on ticket sales. Keep tooting that horn, Sunshine.  Someone'll listen.

Let's see, who's more credible: Business Insider or some internet so-and-so with "Hideous C.H.U.D." in his handle.

Gee, I dunno...

Why do you feel the need to insult?  Are you that childish?  I haven't said anything demeaning at all and yet.  Regardless I'll be ignoring you from now on.  No use.

As for the Business insider article it said it made 4billion off ticket sales from Force Awakens. Last Jedi and Rogue One.  Unless you are taking the actual gross (which is not profit) then it is literally impossible to come at that figure.  So yes you should take internet so and sos numbers.

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Film profit: roughly $1.5 billion ($800 million TFA, $400 million TLJ, $300 million R1) box office.

Blu-Ray income from the USA alone: $151 million TFA, $66 million R1, $57 million TLJ (The Force Awakens is the third-biggest selling Blu-Ray of all time, btw). Worldwide you can comfortably more than double that, add in a lot from streaming and TV rights as well. DVD sales would likely be a massive increase on that. Disney take almost all the profit from these sales direct. Combined home media and streaming sales likely heavily exceed $1 billion.

Toy income: $700 million in fiscal year 2015-16, a bit less in 2016-17 and a lot less in 2017-18 (although it's still the second-biggest brand at retail). Total sales seem to be in the $1.5 billion range (Red Snow, the $4 billion sale was for all of Disney's properties combined, including Marvel/Pixar etc). Lucasfilm's cut is 20% (as seen in the recent Netflix toy documentary), so about $300 million in profit to Disney.

Video game income: The major sales juggernaut here is Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefront II, which have sold 22 million copies between them and generated c. $1.5 billion in revenue. Disney's cut I've heard is as high as 50%, which seems insane but not impossible (and explains the increasingly weird creative accounting EA is doing on the games, declaring Battlefront I a failure even though it exceeded projections). 30% is much more likely, which would give Disney $500 million from those two games alone. There's also all of the profit Disney has made from The Old Republic since 2012 and the income from re-releases of older games, which is not negligible but probably not hugely significant.

Additional income: the books, comics, the Fantasy Flight board games and roleplaying games, the adult-oriented collectibles (which don't shift many units but have huge margin), profits from the international sales of Rebels and The Clone Wars, profits from international sales of Episodes II-VI etc.

Conclusion: Star Wars has certainly made well clear of $3 billion in pure profit for Disney and likely close to the $4 billion break-even point. That's less than six years to make a return on one of the biggest entertainment deals in history, which isn't too shabby at all.

Thanks Wert.  All I was asking for was numbers.

Edit:  And Red Snow, thanks.

18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a21343712/george-lucas-star-wars-7-9-plot/

It's not much but as they say in the article I think it's the first time Lucas has talked about what his version of 7,8,9 would have been. 

Hamill has spoken a lot of what Lucas's plans were, they were put in a much more flattering light then that lol.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I don’t think you remember Jar Jar very well then.

A generally terrible character on many different levels, who yet remained essentially a one trick pony, without bringing anything to the overall story or plot, for good or for ill...?  Wait, Poe did even less than that. Maybe I am remembering Jar Jar incorrectly...

3 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

These discussions actually made me re-watch The Phantom Menace. Poe is nowhere near as bad as Jar Jar. Not even in the same galaxy. Poe is simply the closest Star Wars character to the MCU characters.

You'd have to elaborate on this, because it doesn't seem obvious at all.  Close to which characters?  There is life and development in pretty much all of the major MCU stable of characters.

3 hours ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Poe is fine as a character. It's not his fault Rain Johnson thought it'd be a good idea to isolate him on a boring ship and send all the other characters worth mentioning to sleep or Mon Vegas.

He should have never been on that ship.  He should have never made it out of the first movie.

The only redeeming aspect of Poe I've ever encountered, particularly with regard to TLJ, is that he was a physical manifestation of the fanboy audience and their wants and needs from the film.

Archived