All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

10 hours ago, felice said:

Holdo was an idiot for not telling the crew what the plan was, or even that there was a plan

We've surely been through this before, but Holdo very clearly did tell those of the crew who needed to know what her plan was. Several people knew. They just weren't principal cast members.

Holdo also, in effect, tells Poe that there is a plan. Their dialogue on this is pretty plain, to me, and I remain amazed that people don't get that. 'Hope is like the sun: if you only believe it it when you see it...' What else is that supposed to mean, other than 'there is more going on than I can tell you, but trust me'?

2 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

Holdo also, in effect, tells Poe that there is a plan. Their dialogue on this is pretty plain, to me, and I remain amazed that people don't get that. 'Hope is like the sun: if you only believe it it when you see it...' What else is that supposed to mean, other than 'there is more going on than I can tell you, but trust me'?

It could mean "I still have hope even though I can't see any reason for it"? And that line doesn't happen till pretty late in the film, when they're already preparing to evacuate. What reason is there to keep it secret at that point, even in the face of mutiny? There's nothing to suggest that Holdo has any reason not to trust everyone with her plan, and if one of them was a traitor, they'd be able to alert the empire from the secret base after they get there. And it's an awful plan anyway; presumably she was intending to just keep flying the ship away until it ran out of fuel, in which case the First Order would board it and discover everyone was gone, and quickly find the only possible place they could have gone, and there's no ram damage to the Order fleet. Best case scenario, more rebels make it to the base, and get killed a bit later on because there's not enough room for them on the Falcon.

4 minutes ago, felice said:

It could mean "I still have hope even though I can't see any reason for it"?

Possibly? It seems very unlikely though. Her delivery does not suggest that at all, the context doesn't fit that, and frankly I can't see any sensible reason to include that sentiment as a line of dialogue between Holdo and Poe. 

4 minutes ago, felice said:

And that line doesn't happen till pretty late in the film, when they're already preparing to evacuate.

It doesn't happen particularly late in the film. And it happens before Poe decides to go rogue, which is the point. Even before that, the first time he meets Holdo and demands to know the plan, she doesn't react as if she doesn't have one. Her dialogue and body language in that scene, too, is basically saying 'why should I tell you the plan?', not 'I have no idea what to do'. 

Poe ultimately rebels, by the way, not because he thinks Holdo has no plan but because he fails to understand what her plan actually is and assumes (in the absence of key information) that it's a bad plan. I can't recall any indication that Poe ever believes Holdo simply doesn't have a plan. So this whole thing is the reddest of red herrings. 

5 hours ago, felice said:

I think they did a pretty decent job of that with Rey in Last Jedi - better than in Force Awakens. But it would have been good if she'd had any other women to interact with.

A missed opportunity with the fish women.

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

I bet they'll be a fiveish year gap between IX and X. They can release a spin-off or two per year in the interim. But they should try to keep up the notion that the main Star Wars movies are event movies. 

I keep wondering whether they'll try an avengers style event with the spin offs. They all seem to be in the same era at the moment (including rumoured ones) and I wonder if they'll try and concoct a team up. It wouldn't make much continuity sense with solo fett and Kenobi but it's something they could try with other films. 

I wonder whether the main films will remain Skywalker themed? I feel they should otherwise it's hard to distinguish them besides the numbering.

If 9 ends with kylo as new galactic overlord it would be good to leave it 5+ years so they can do another almost next gen installment.

5 hours ago, felice said:

I think they did a pretty decent job of that with Rey in Last Jedi - better than in Force Awakens. But it would have been good if she'd had any other women to interact with.

Or anyone to interact with really ;) I can give the movie a pass on that because the way her story was structured made her isolated for nearly the entire film. I only lament the fact that this means we will never get the Rey/Leia interaction I have been craving :( (

on the subject of Leia, the tantalising hint of shared history between her and Holdo left me wanting more, and I would have loved to see some of that shared history. Alas :( 

4 hours ago, Vin said:

I still think they should've used admiral Akbar for that . I'm still pissed that they killed him off screen .

Why? What could this possibly add except fanwank material. 

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

I keep wondering whether they'll try an avengers style event with the spin offs. They all seem to be in the same era at the moment (including rumoured ones) and I wonder if they'll try and concoct a team up. It wouldn't make much continuity sense with solo fett and Kenobi but it's something they could try with other films. 

I wonder whether the main films will remain Skywalker themed? I feel they should otherwise it's hard to distinguish them besides the numbering.

If 9 ends with kylo as new galactic overlord it would be good to leave it 5+ years so they can do another almost next gen installment.

I hope they move on from the Skywalker focus. Sure, keep them as important persons, but let someone else have the limelight. That’s why I still hope Rey’s parents being “no-one” remains true. 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I hope they move on from the Skywalker focus. Sure, keep them as important persons, but let someone else have the limelight. That’s why I still hope Rey’s parents being “no-one” remains true. 

I agree they don't have to be the focus but I feel they need to feature or have a very clear passing of the torch. Otherwise my point remains of how we ever distinguish the episodes from all the other films besides name.

I guess one option is to only have events set in the "future" timeline in the episodes? Eg we only know where the star wars galaxy is heading via the episodes?

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

I agree 100%. They need to move this story on from the past. Kylo is part Skywalker though so he will be a subtle nod to them? The series has to stop living on the past success if it wants to stay relevant. 

I like the thought someone had above, Kylo "wins" in 9.  Then do two Star Wars "stories" developing a new resistance and smaller battles with some Fin, Rey, Poe in them separately and then come back to the main story in 10 bringing them all back together.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I agree 100%. They need to move this story on from the past. Kylo is part Skywalker though so he will be a subtle nod to them? The series has to stop living on the past success if it wants to stay relevant. 

I like the thought someone had above, Kylo "wins" in 9.  Then do two Star Wars "stories" developing a new resistance and smaller battles with some Fin, Rey, Poe in them separately and then come back to the main story in 10 bringing them all back together.

Could also work with a time jump between 8 and 9 maybe? The First Order is almost victorious, but the spark of rebellion lives on. Time jump to episode 9 where the Resistance has gained ground...perfect opportunity for tv series or interlude films covering the interim

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Could also work with a time jump between 8 and 9 maybe? The First Order is almost victorious, but the spark of rebellion lives on. Time jump to episode 9 where the Resistance has gained ground...perfect opportunity for tv series or interlude films covering the interim

The cartoons and comics certainly like those gaps to operate within so can see them continuing that aspect.

I guess a lot of this depends on whether Kathleen Kennedy leaves and who replaces her

25 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Why? What could this possibly add except fanwank material. 

Because I thought holdo was annoying and boring and all she did was be a mini antagonist for Poe and then sacrifice herself . Why try to introduce a whole new character (badly imo) to do something that you can do with a previous resource that's already a well known figure to the fans (so they'll care when he dies) especially since they were killing him anyway . It would've been more cohesive and better imo . I'd be curious to know why you think the holdo choice is better ? 

Also ,If fanwank is bad then what's up with this whole Boba fett movie then ? Aren't the movies made for the fans ? 

Just to add to ways Star Wars is profiting for Disney, let's not forget the Star Wars lands/expansions they are building in Orlando and California. And the super expensive immersive themed hotels adjacent to the expansions.

Star Wars IP is more than movie ticket sales. It's park tickets. Chewie purses. 3rd round of Blue Milk at the cantina. The photo of you with BB8. And ice cream Yodas.

19 minutes ago, Vin said:

My 2 cents on the direction they should take with the new movies is to go to the distant past not the future. Do the old republic ! Could use more light saber action .

Definitely but we were talking if how to keep the episodes as special events. Distant past is a great venue for the various spin offs though and certainly filled with more potential than the films about solo etc

22 minutes ago, red snow said:

Definitely but we were talking if how to keep the episodes as special events. Distant past is a great venue for the various spin offs though and certainly filled with more potential than the films about solo etc

Oh , OK . Honestly I'm not sure how you can keep demand high if you pump them out so fast ,especially with the controversy . You need to give people time to forget . But a TV show is definitely a great idea however I think a good starwars TV show that's not animated is gonna need a huge budget on par with GOT if not more . There's been talk of Disney working on their own streaming service down the line to compete with Netflix and stream their own movies and I think that can be a great outlet for this .

Sadly I'm not seeing anyone from Disney mention the old republic .

10 minutes ago, Vin said:

Oh , OK . Honestly I'm not sure how you can keep demand high if you pump them out so fast ,especially with the controversy . You need to give people time to forget . But a TV show is definitely a great idea however I think a good starwars TV show that's not animated is gonna need a huge budget on par with GOT if not more . There's been talk of Disney working on their own streaming service down the line to compete with Netflix and stream their own movies and I think that can be a great outlet for this .

Sadly I'm not seeing anyone from Disney mention the old republic .

The idea that this is driven by a "controversy" over the last jedi is pretty well refuted by the fact that Solo bombed internationally across all markets far worse than it did domestically. The answer for its failure is in the far more mundane combination of box office fatigue (exacerbated in international markets where consumers have less disposable income on average), poor marketing, and the fact that the film was just pretty mediocre. 

6 minutes ago, sperry said:

The idea that this is driven by a "controversy" over the last jedi is pretty well refuted by the fact that Solo bombed internationally across all markets far worse than it did domestically. The answer for its failure is in the far more mundane combination of box office fatigue (exacerbated in international markets where consumers have less disposable income on average), poor marketing, and the fact that the film was just pretty mediocre. 

Why are you people so fixated on the fans being monolithic ? 

You can disregard the things you don't like and say that they played zero part in anything if you like but I'd say that's silly and ineffective . 

Archived