All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

25 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I would like to see a beginnings of the Jedi Order series of movies, something that shows the Jedi earn their reputation in the galaxy.

Yes, this would be interesting to me.  More interesting than Hans 'not Harrison Ford' Solo as a not-very-much-younger-guy.  But then I am counted here as a 'bad fan' as I have liked each new iteration less and less.

49 minutes ago, Vin said:

Why are you people so fixated on the fans being monolithic ? 

You can disregard the things you don't like and say that they played zero part in anything if you like but I'd say that's silly and ineffective . 

So this "controversy" transcended every market, culture, language, and border? Solo's numbers are down by a similar amount from Last Jedi in every single market it was released in. The idea that The Last Jedi was controversial in South Korea, South Africa, the Philippines, France, Russia, Argentina, Canada, Venezuela, Sweden, etc. is just laughable.

1 hour ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I would like to see a beginnings of the Jedi Order series of movies, something that shows the Jedi earn their reputation in the galaxy.

That sounds cool but I think it's too ambitious/risky for Disney to take on 

51 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, this would be interesting to me.  More interesting than Hans 'not Harrison Ford' Solo as a not-very-much-younger-guy.  But then I am counted here as a 'bad fan' as I have liked each new iteration less and less.

There's a lot of that around these days .

38 minutes ago, sperry said:

So this "controversy" transcended every market, culture, language, and border? Solo's numbers are down by a similar amount from Last Jedi in every single market it was released in. The idea that The Last Jedi was controversial in South Korea, South Africa, the Philippines, France, Russia, Argentina, Canada, Venezuela, Sweden, etc. is just laughable.

This isn't even an argument. 

13 minutes ago, Vin said:

That sounds cool but I think it's too ambitious/risky for Disney to take on 

There's a lot of that around these days .

Disney is making live action movies of pretty much all their popular animated movies. Nothing is too ambitious for them. It could also be a TV series instead. They could tone down the space battles, and focus on force users.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Disney is making live action movies of pretty much all their popular animated movies. Nothing is too ambitious for them. It could also be a TV series instead. They could tone down the space battles, and focus on force users.

True , the mouse is mighty enough that he could. I'd certainly love to watch such a series . 

4 hours ago, Vin said:

This isn't even an argument. 

Yes, it is. You are arguing that a controversy among American fans/political ideologies has affected the numbers, yet numbers are down by similar percentages in every market the film was released in.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Yes, it is. You are arguing that a controversy among American fans/political ideologies has affected the numbers, yet numbers are down by similar percentages in every market the film was released in.

It is also, as may others have pointed out including me, down by the same amount as the other two second entries.

6 minutes ago, sperry said:

Star Wars has always been smaller outside the US . 

1 minute ago, sperry said:

That would be an argument, if we were talking absolutes. But we are talking percentage drops, which accounts for that fact.

I'd be the first to admit that this argument is a bit weak but star Wars is also smaller as a phenomenon , it's not the childhood defining movie that it is for us fans .outside ,they're less attached , it's just a fun movie , who cares if the new ones suck? While a good chunk of us fans have star Wars as part of the development of their character (comic book and action figure collectors are mostly an American thing ) . And I think the outrage in the US is loudest and is not purely financial (someone who's not very invested in the franchise would be disappointed and just move on while someone who's heavily invested would feel like their world got shook) . At any rate feel free to disregard this , I just wanted to word it .

14 hours ago, felice said:

I think they did a pretty decent job of that with Rey in Last Jedi - better than in Force Awakens. But it would have been good if she'd had any other women to interact with.

Yes, that's fair. She was a terrible protagonist in Force Awakens, just flits from place to place while stuff is literally just given to her (a lightsabre), other people solve stuff (like Poe and the Death Star III) or she just magics her way out of trouble after five seconds (held captive by Darth Emo and her duel with Darth Emo).

The only other woman in it is Captain Phasma, who must be - even by stormtrooper standards - at the bottom end of the intelligence and willpower scale.

35 minutes ago, Vin said:

Star Wars has always been smaller outside the US . 

Isn't this the case with all franchises?

10 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

SOLO was released into an extremely crowded spring/summer movie season and they were probably two or three months late in marketing the film.  I think it's just that simple. 

I think there are many many factors involved, but I would say the biggest one was the marketing.

1 minute ago, Yukle said:

Isn't this the case with all franchises?

Not really. Transformers does better overseas. Marvel is pretty close to 50/50. I think Resident Evil oddly does well overseas.

The real difference is that when Star Wars came out the international arket was maybe 10-20% of overall sales; now it's closer to 50-60%. 

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

No there are a few that are bigger, actually. Fast and the Furious and Transformers.

Imagine a crossover between those two. :lol: 

Archived