All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

19 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Is that a reasonable extrapolation?  CGI has gotten a lot cheaper over the years.  Past a certain point there were a lot lower barriers to entry for competition.  Maybe a level assumption is reasonable but id want a deeper dive on the data to say for sure.

It's a more than reasonable extrapolation. CGI has gotten cheaper like-for-like over the years, but modern CGI is at a much higher resolution, there's a lot more of it and it's integrated into live action shots far more seamlessly than it was twenty years ago. So not only are ILM doing more films per year overall (15 in 2018 to 11 in 1997), they are doing vastly more work in each of those films at a much higher level of detail. ILM's render farm, for example, is the biggest in the world at a size (and cost of running) that dwarfs where they were twenty years ago. Some costs have also gone up significantly: memory is more expensive due to global shortages since the 2013 dual earthquakes that took out one of the world's biggest RAM production facilities in Taiwan; graphics tech is also more expensive thanks to cryptocurrency mining, although ILM aren't exactly buying off-the-shelf cards.

The other main measure of success is the size of the company: since 1997 ILM has expanded from one facility in LA to five globally (two in Vancouver and one each in Singapore and London), which you only do to meet increasing demand.

Weta, which is considerably smaller than ILM, made "hundreds of millions" of dollars in revenue in 2016, for example, which indicates that ILM would have made significantly more.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:19 PM, Corvinus of Teranga said:

His escape from Jakku was, for sure, weak. But we weren't going to get a bigger reference to the Clone Wars than the one we got, which was when Kylo Ren questions whether or not the First Order could do better with a clone army. Because, ultimately, only bad guys can be in charge of clones. It is known.:P

Rebutted thusly.

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's a more than reasonable extrapolation. CGI has gotten cheaper like-for-like over the years, but modern CGI is at a much higher resolution, there's a lot more of it and it's integrated into live action shots far more seamlessly than it was twenty years ago. So not only are ILM doing more films per year overall (15 in 2018 to 11 in 1997), they are doing vastly more work in each of those films at a much higher level of detail. ILM's render farm, for example, is the biggest in the world at a size (and cost of running) that dwarfs where they were twenty years ago. Some costs have also gone up significantly: memory is more expensive due to global shortages since the 2013 dual earthquakes that took out one of the world's biggest RAM production facilities in Taiwan; graphics tech is also more expensive thanks to cryptocurrency mining, although ILM aren't exactly buying off-the-shelf cards.

The other main measure of success is the size of the company: since 1997 ILM has expanded from one facility in LA to five globally (two in Vancouver and one each in Singapore and London), which you only do to meet increasing demand.

Weta, which is considerably smaller than ILM, made "hundreds of millions" of dollars in revenue in 2016, for example, which indicates that ILM would have made significantly more.

Well, looking at the portfolio of recent and current projects on their website, they are definitely busy.  Looking at their career page, they are definitely hiring.  In the absence of hard data, my guess is these guys are doing OK.

The reviews on Glass door.com are a bit on the low side, but not extraordinarily so.  Most of the criticism centers on long hours and pay not keeping up with cost of living in the bay area, though I imagine that's common for companies there.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Ya know, since they are now connecting the new cinematic universe to the animated series and prequels in a deliberate way, it occurs to me that Temuera Morrison is probably old enough to play an elderly Rex in a new film.

Just saying.

They should update the RotJ special edition with him as the bearded rebel commando on Endor.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:13 AM, Eriksen's New Mascot said:

They should update the RotJ special edition with him as the bearded rebel commando on Endor.

As with Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, there is only one version of Return of the Jedi.

(I'm not seriously advocating an new Extra Special Edition. This is just playing "What if's" while the Colombia/Japan game is on commercial break)

Given that we know Hera and Chopper were kicking around during and after the original trilogy, Ghost could be added to the Battle of Endor too.

Some of the previous discussions made me want to re-watch The Phantom Menace. I think I'll try to continue with Attack of the Clones, as terrible as it is.

I'll bring up some of Lucas's mistakes which I didn't catch or think about before, that kinda touch on the entire saga.

A guy on Twitter recently pointed out a plot hole in A New Hope, but which is, in effect, caused by the prequels – if Obi-Wan was trying to hide on Tatooine, why dress like a Jedi (as we see most of the Jedi dress in similar robes); some people argued that the Jedi’s typical robes are common clothes designed to blend in; many other characters wear similar outfits. The Phantom Menace proves the guy’s point – first, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are immediately recognized by a protocol droid as being Jedi, and when on Tatooine, Qui-Gon changes his outfit to better blend in with the locals, ON TATOOINE.

Werthead mentioned that Palpatine’s disfiguration is the worst scene in the entire saga; I can’t agree with that after just re-watching the weirdly edited scene where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan run away from the droidekas, using Force Speed apparently, an ability never to be used again.

If anyone feels to continue to complain about fuel being an issue, and a big plot device in The Last Jedi, remember that the reason why the main characters go to Tatooine where they encounter the #1 character of the prequels is also because of fuel.

One of Lucas’s first mistakes in A New Hope was building up the Stormtroopers, with Obi-Wan’s line Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise, only to bring them down again and again, because of plot. He continues this trend by giving this line to Cpt. Panaka: Our security volunteers would be no match against a battle-hardened Trade Federation army:lol:

An interesting line than Anakin says about pod racing – he’s the only human that can do it. So, that puts the whole saga into perspective; why aren’t there more fighter pilots from other species?

2 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Some of the previous discussions made me want to re-watch The Phantom Menace. I think I'll try to continue with Attack of the Clones, as terrible as it is.

I'll bring up some of Lucas's mistakes which I didn't catch or think about before, that kinda touch on the entire saga.

A guy on Twitter recently pointed out a plot hole in A New Hope, but which is, in effect, caused by the prequels – if Obi-Wan was trying to hide on Tatooine, why dress like a Jedi (as we see most of the Jedi dress in similar robes); some people argued that the Jedi’s typical robes are common clothes designed to blend in; many other characters wear similar outfits. The Phantom Menace proves the guy’s point – first, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are immediately recognized by a protocol droid as being Jedi, and when on Tatooine, Qui-Gon changes his outfit to better blend in with the locals, ON TATOOINE.

Werthead mentioned that Palpatine’s disfiguration is the worst scene in the entire saga; I can’t agree with that after just re-watching the weirdly edited scene where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan run away from the droidekas, using Force Speed apparently, an ability never to be used again.

If anyone feels to continue to complain about fuel being an issue, and a big plot device in The Last Jedi, remember that the reason why the main characters go to Tatooine where they encounter the #1 character of the prequels is also because of fuel.

One of Lucas’s first mistakes in A New Hope was building up the Stormtroopers, with Obi-Wan’s line Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise, only to bring them down again and again, because of plot. He continues this trend by giving this line to Cpt. Panaka: Our security volunteers would be no match against a battle-hardened Trade Federation army:lol:

An interesting line than Anakin says about pod racing – he’s the only human that can do it. So, that puts the whole saga into perspective; why aren’t there more fighter pilots from other species?

Have you never seen the Plinkett reviews? Watch them. Legit more entertaining than any SW movie but the Holy Trilogy.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, Obi Wan in Ep 4 is said to be a hermit. They don’t exactly get out much.

Also, he's cunningly changed his name from Obi-Wan to Ben. Who would think that a guy called Ben Kenobi, who dresses like a Jedi, would have anything to do with Obi-Wan Kenobi, the famous Jedi? 

1 hour ago, La Albearceleste said:

Also, he's cunningly changed his name from Obi-Wan to Ben. Who would think that a guy called Ben Kenobi, who dresses like a Jedi, would have anything to do with Obi-Wan Kenobi, the famous Jedi? 

And on a planet connected to his former apprentice no less! I mean, the Empire can’t have been trying too hard to track him and Yoda down really. Yoda fair enough, does a decent job of hiding, but obi-wan...eh, not so much

Vader never knew about Luke and Leia so why would he know the whereabouts of Obi Wan in an entire galaxy? Vader was powerful but not an all knowing god. I mean hell it took him a while to even sense that he was on the Death Star with him. 

2 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

And on a planet connected to his former apprentice no less! I mean, the Empire can’t have been trying too hard to track him and Yoda down really. Yoda fair enough, does a decent job of hiding, but obi-wan...eh, not so much

I guess there's hiding in plain sight? Maybe Vader wasn't exactly gunning for a rematch given how badly the first duel went.

The issue is if they do a film with Kenobi getting up to all kinds of mischief during the hermit years it will make it harder to stretch disbelief that the emperor or Vader didn't do more to find and stop him

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Vader never knew about Luke and Leia so why would he know the whereabouts of Obi Wan in an entire galaxy? Vader was powerful but not an all knowing god. I mean hell it took him a while to even sense that he was on the Death Star with him. 

He knew obi wan was alive though. My point was they can’t have looked too hard for him considering the obviousness of his “disguise” and where he chose to hide.

eta: in contrast to his children who he thought were dead, and hence had no reason to look for

Archived