All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I remember. I was implying the two are not similar.

You are right.  One was done on twitter.  The other, not so much.  Which one can you turn off?

5 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched the first episode of The Toys That Made Us on Netflix the other night and it is all about the beginning of Star Wars toys.  It was excellent.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I’m from Cincinnati so I’m familiar with the story of Kenner, but it was still interesting to see. My older brother has a lot of those original toys. 

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I've never been to one, but while Chicago isn't exactly in my backyard, it's much closer than the previous locations. I'll consider going.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Intriguing...I'm a Trek guy first, but this is something I think that has to be seen...I'm a little further north, just over the border these days, but my family is still in the 'burbs...might have to look into this...

If either of you two decide to go, let me know.  Such a huge convention isn't normally my thing and I hate to wait in lines and it sounds like you have to do a lot of that to see any panels but perhaps worth experiencing just once.  I've watched video from Celebration panels in the past so I know I will enjoy them.  And most likely excellent people watching.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

It's a shame these people can't be found and somehow be banned from ever watching a star wars film again - a bit like what happens to convicted football hooligans. It would be an apt punishment.

Or perhaps at least something like the ending of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back where they hunt down all the guys in their basements who have ever posted something negative about them on the internet?

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You think racist/misogynistic harassment is the same as some fans yelling at a white boy actor in the 90s?

To the point of one actor being viciously and hurtfully harassed to disillusionment, resignation, and disgust, yes.

To the point of viciously and hurtfully insulting not just one person but an entire group of people, no. 

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I kinda of want Disney to announce that all Star Wars films are cancelled and that all related merchandise is to be recalled and destroyed, never to be seen again, just to see the look on some peoples faces.

I imagine a lot of people claiming to be victimised with no sense of irony whatsoever.

I know the cancel all filmstrip stuff isn’t what anyone thinks will happen but can I use point out this plays right into those scumbags hands? They don’t want characters like Rose, and by destroying the franchise in response to their bigotry and racism you let them win, fuck that.

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I know the cancel all filmstrip stuff isn’t what anyone thinks will happen but can I use point out this plays right into those scumbags hands? They don’t want characters like Rose, and by destroying the franchise in response to their bigotry and racism you let them win, fuck that.

Oh I agree, I’m just beyond caustic today.

That's a shame about the harassment of the actor. She had no purpose in the film and made mind breakingly stupid decisions for what passed as the plot. But she did a fine job with the shit sandwich Johnson asked her to put extra nuts on.

Reminded me of Hayden Christensen, just left to flail in the breeze by the writer and never properly put in a position to succeed.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That's why I prefer the idea of them not being able to watch the films. Everyone else can continue watching them. 

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched the first episode of The Toys That Made Us on Netflix the other night and it is all about the beginning of Star Wars toys.  It was excellent.

That reminds me I need to finish that, got halfway through and had to leave. Pretty interesting stuff. I watched the Transformers one too.

I see the toys and am like damn, I had that and this and those..all gone.

22 minutes ago, dbunting said:

That reminds me I need to finish that, got halfway through and had to leave. Pretty interesting stuff. I watched the Transformers one too.

I see the toys and am like damn, I had that and this and those..all gone.

I know!

I gave away all my Star Wars, G.I.Joe, and Masters of the Universe vehicles and playsets I had when I was a kid. I had so much and they took up so much space (I know supreme privileged problems). But I had Castle Greyskull, Snake Mountain, The Fright Zone, Slime Pit, Point Dread and the Talon Fighter, Battle Ram, Attack Track, Roton, Wind Raider, Spydor, Dragon Walker, G.I. Joe headquarters, The U.S.S. Flag, Battle Platform, The Terror Drome, The Sky Striker, Sky Hawk, Night Raven, Tomahawk, Conquest, Rattler, Killer Whale, Hydrofoil, Mobat, Slugger, Water Moccasin, APC...

All that gone. :( 

At least I held onto all my Transformers and He-Man action figures and my G.I.Joes that didn't get lost or broken.

And seeing programs like The Toys That Made Us and reviews of vintage toys on You Tube, while bitter sweet I'm at least grateful to see them again and not just relying only on my memory what they were like.

48 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I know!

I gave away all my Star Wars, G.I.Joe, and Masters of the Universe vehicles and playsets I had when I was a kid. I had so much and they took up so much space (I know supreme privileged problems). But I had Castle Greyskull, Snake Mountain, The Fright Zone, Slime Pit, Point Dread and the Talon Fighter, Battle Ram, Attack Track, Roton, Wind Raider, Spydor, Dragon Walker, G.I. Joe headquarters, The U.S.S. Flag, Battle Platform, The Terror Drome, The Sky Striker, Sky Hawk, Night Raven, Tomahawk, Conquest, Rattler, Killer Whale, Hydrofoil, Mobat, Slugger, Water Moccasin, APC...

All that gone. :( 

At least I held onto all my Transformers and He-Man action figures and my G.I.Joes that didn't get lost or broken.

And seeing programs like The Toys That Made Us and reviews of vintage toys on You Tube, while bitter sweet I'm at least grateful to see them again and not just relying only on my memory what they were like.

I remember having Tauntan, Millenium Falcon, Darth Vaders Tie fighter, X wing fighter, Hoth, and a land speeder. And pretty much every original Star Wars figure, multiples of many of them. Tons of Storm troopers so I could set up battles in my bedroom. All gone. Transformers, I even had one of those little yellow VW robot car that predated Bumble Bee, damn thing is valuable now! Some He Man stuff, but I was getting old for it then.  The one toy that bums me out the most was my Shogun warrior. I got it and was just in awe, I was 5 years old. Played with it once, shot the tv with the star that shot out, my aunt took it away and I never saw it again. Devastated me.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I remember having Tauntan, Millenium Falcon, Darth Vaders Tie fighter, X wing fighter, Hoth, and a land speeder. And pretty much every original Star Wars figure, multiples of many of them. Tons of Storm troopers so I could set up battles in my bedroom. All gone. Transformers, I even had one of those little yellow VW robot car that predated Bumble Bee, damn thing is valuable now! Some He Man stuff, but I was getting old for it then.  The one toy that bums me out the most was my Shogun warrior. I got it and was just in awe, I was 5 years old. Played with it once, shot the tv with the star that shot out, my aunt took it away and I never saw it again. Devastated me.

Star Wars I didn't have that much of comparatively to G.I.Joe/He-Man/Transformers. I had the Hoth playset with the gun turret tower and probe droid, had an X Wing fighter, Slave-1 (with frozen Han Solo) and Jabba The Hutt and his throne. I had Obiwan, Vader, C-3PO, R2, R2 with extending scope, Bespin Luke, Bespin Han, Hoth Leia, Chewbacca, Bespin Lando, Jedi Knight Luke, Yoda, Boba Fett, Storm Trooper (just one), IG-88, Bosc, Dengar, Bib Fortuna, Imperal Guard, Bespin Guard, ugnaught, Hoth Rebel Trooper, Nien Nunb, Barada, Medical droid, Gonk droid, R2-D4, Hammerhead, and Walrus Man.

I know Boba Fett is the figure with all the awesome, but he was only my second favorite SW toy, Bespin Han was my favorite.

I think I still have the Gonk droid somewhere. That's all that remains of my SW toys.

Well, I actually still have all my Star Wars and GI Joe toys. My parents downsized, so I took all my old toys home thinking my boys would play with them. Nope. Now I'm torn what to do with the toys. Don't want to sell them. But we are kind of strapped for storage in this house. I'm about to do a general toy cull since most of the toys (new and "vintage") are doing nothing but filling a large closet.

The one thing that is going into the heap this summer is a 2x2x3 foot GI Joe wooden base I built as a kid. It's the PITT. Top/roof looks like a normal army base but working vehicle elevator leads down to a 6 story underground base. Think it ever got used? Nope. Not a tablet or Xbox. I hate to toss it, but I'm tired of walking around it.

Everything else will probably end up on ebay...

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Well, I actually still have all my Star Wars and GI Joe toys. My parents downsized, so I took all my old toys home thinking my boys would play with them. Nope. Now I'm torn what to do with the toys. Don't want to sell them. But we are kind of strapped for storage in this house. I'm about to do a general toy cull since most of the toys (new and "vintage") are doing nothing but filling a large closet.

The one thing that is going into the heap this summer is a 2x2x3 foot GI Joe wooden base I built as a kid. It's the PITT. Top/roof looks like a normal army base but working vehicle elevator leads down to a 6 story underground base. Think it ever got used? Nope. Not a tablet or Xbox. I hate to toss it, but I'm tired of walking around it.

Everything else will probably end up on ebay...

Make sure you take lots of photos of them and the sets. And when no-one is looking play with them before selling them.

When I was a kid I used to look forward to Halloween as one of the local shops would put a star wars toy display in the window.

Archived