Robb instead of Catelyn

Canon Claude

@Dorian Martell's son, in the Regional Cuisine thread, you listed venison stew as your favourite Westerlands dish and Sister Stew as your favourite dish from Braavos.

Nowhere in GRRM's books is there a mention of venison in the Westerlands, or Sister Stew in Braavos. By your own argument, those words are fan-fic.

They both seem like valid choices to me, although it is unlikely the Braavosi would call it Sister's Stew, or use heavy cream. They would probably ship in ghee or oil instead of butter, too (the book doesn't mention any pasturage for cows around Braavos, or any dairy products in its cuisine.) And use mud, climber, leopard crabs instead of red, spider, and conqueror crabs. And there is so little mention of anything in the Westerlands in the books so far, the fact that there is no mention of venison or deer cannot be taken as proof that GRRM didn't intend venison or deer to exist there.

But that doesn't change the fact you have significantly altered the character of GRRM's Braavos by endowing it with this dish that is only found in the Sisters in his story, and introduced feral deer to your Westerlands. I'm sure you meant no disrespect to GRRM by posting your thoughts on the regional cuisine in that thread, but then, I'm sure nobody in this thread was intending to disrespect GRRM when they answered the OP. 

Headcanon, tinfoil, crackpot, hype, analysis are not fan-fic. Even when they outline a narrative. For example: 

I think Ned was just protecting the infant child and never even told his bestfriend (Robert) in fear he'd have him killed... seeing how his sister was "supposed" to marry Robert and that Rhaegar was in love with her. Robert would have cheated on her a lot anyway. We all know Robert was a whore. Hey.... that would give Jon a chance at having the throne himself! Right? RIGHTFULLY! And I believe if Dany knew this she'd let it happen, she only wants the throne for herself because of duty and she is the last in line. I don't think she just wants it for any selfish reasons and seein's how she can't have any children... Who would be better than Jon?!?!?!? Fertile and a Targaryen.

( @Stark Future, The Lyanna + Rhaegar = Jon thread)

His arc is to become cured of that which prevented him from being a true knight, his anger, and then to be a legendary true knight, and absorb all the torment, punishment and anguish that entails. Like having to forego acting on the love he feels for a married girl/woman, deciding between two contradicting oaths and becoming a liar and hypocrite for it and braving dragon's fire.

( @chrisdaw, Sandor Clegane's Future)

Not fan-fic, totally legit discussion of some very popular themes, contributions to the kind of buzz GRRM's publishers and himself, have encouraged fans to create.

If this thread was fan-fic, shouldn't you report the offending posts to a moderator?

I've never actually found the FAQ myself (if you know where it is, please throw me a link), but I have seen posts that quote it like this:

Q. Can I post fan fiction?

A. Definitely not. Short stories set in Westeros or using characters from "A Song of Ice and Fire" are not to be posted here (and if you've written one, don't even _mention_ the fact). GRRM doesn't approve of fan fiction, so we honor his wishes on the board concerning this. Taking this a step further, individuals who are aware of fan fiction elsewhere should not point users of the forum to it. This includes linking to fan fiction in your personal profiles, or linking to a site that links in turn to fan fiction. Failure to observe these rules will lead to a warning at minimum.

( @General Prince Stubbumgwu, Fanfic)

I've read GRRM's position on it, and his definition of it:

stories about characters taken from the work of other writers without their consent.

( George R R Martin, Not a Blog May 7 2010 - Somebody is Angry on the Internet)

The first thing I ever heard about Westeros.org was that the mods here were really strict about fan-fic and shut it down real quick, so if you are really bothered by what this thread is doing, you have given us fair warning - the next step is clear.

Of course I don't want to be banned from Westeros. or get anyone else banned. I'm posting this confident nothing in this thread would warrant that.  I have yet to see a thread that actually discusses fan-fic get more than a few posts before being shut down.

My issue is that your concerns are derailing the thread, and it seems to me a moderator could conclusively tell you (and, if need be, the rest of us) if your concerns are warranted,  unlike everyone else who posts in this thread, or would like to.

Although I'm not trying to restrict your options. If you want to make "Robb instead of Catelyn" 'fanfics' (ie. posts) appear to be the hottest topic on the board by arguing the point for another page or two with people who don't see it your way, you have that choice too. 

5 hours ago, Walda said:

@Dorian Martell's son, in the Regional Cuisine thread, you listed venison stew as your favourite Westerlands dish and Sister Stew as your favourite dish from Braavos.

I did.

5 hours ago, Walda said:

Nowhere in GRRM's books is there a mention of venison in the Westerlands, or Sister Stew in Braavos. 

Venison is found all over the realm and Bravos is climate wise very similar to the sisters. 

5 hours ago, Walda said:

By your own argument, those words are fan-fic.

You are confusing a lack of options in a forum post with fan fic. Trust me, they are different 

5 hours ago, Walda said:

They both seem like valid choices to me, although it is unlikely the Braavosi would call it Sister's Stew, or use heavy cream. They would probably ship in ghee or oil instead of butter, too (the book doesn't mention any pasturage for cows around Braavos, or any dairy products in its cuisine.) And use mud, climber, leopard crabs instead of red, spider, and conqueror crabs. And there is so little mention of anything in the Westerlands in the books so far, the fact that there is no mention of venison or deer cannot be taken as proof that GRRM didn't intend venison or deer to exist there.

This is in fact fan fic, actively changing the story to make it work for you. And if you are wealthy enough, you can get butter in Braavos.

5 hours ago, Walda said:

But that doesn't change the fact you have significantly altered the character of GRRM's Braavos by endowing it with this dish that is only found in the Sisters in his story, and introduced feral deer to your Westerlands. I'm sure you meant no disrespect to GRRM by posting your thoughts on the regional cuisine in that thread, but then, I'm sure nobody in this thread was intending to disrespect GRRM when they answered the OP. 

A reply with limited options is not fan fic.  Rewriting a story where different characters do things so different that it fundamentally changes the story is fan fic.

6 hours ago, Walda said:

Headcanon, tinfoil, crackpot, hype, analysis are not fan-fic. Even when they outline a narrative. For example: 

Analysis is not crackpot, neither is speculation. Tinfoil, crackpot and head canon of things already written is in fact fan fic.

6 hours ago, Walda said:

Not fan-fic, totally legit discussion of some very popular themes, contributions to the kind of buzz GRRM's publishers and himself, have encouraged fans to create.

True. But this thread is literally one where the story has to be rewritten to work. Lets keep the discussion about the op

6 hours ago, Walda said:

If this thread was fan-fic, shouldn't you report the offending posts to a moderator?

The mods have better things to do 

6 hours ago, Walda said:

The first thing I ever heard about Westeros.org was that the mods here were really strict about fan-fic and shut it down real quick, so if you are really bothered by what this thread is doing, you have given us fair warning - the next step is clear.

Yes, and I am doing that next step. 

6 hours ago, Walda said:

Of course I don't want to be banned from Westeros. or get anyone else banned. I'm posting this confident nothing in this thread would warrant that.  I have yet to see a thread that actually discusses fan-fic get more than a few posts before being shut down.

Yet here we are..........

6 hours ago, Walda said:

My issue is that your concerns are derailing the thread, and it seems to me a moderator could conclusively tell you (and, if need be, the rest of us) if your concerns are warranted,  unlike everyone else who posts in this thread, or would like to.

You mentioned me, not the other way around. So start from there. You could be discussing the op, yet here you are.........

6 hours ago, Walda said:

Although I'm not trying to restrict your options. If you want to make "Robb instead of Catelyn" 'fanfics' (ie. posts) appear to be the hottest topic on the board by arguing the point for another page or two with people who don't see it your way, you have that choice too. 

Choices go both ways. you are an equal participant with me. Own it.
Also, I should be thanked for making otherwise droll threads "hot"

Archived