Mel didn't want to burn Edric

Hugorfonics

And it was Melisandre who told me to send for you when Ser Axell wished to give you to R'hllor." He smiled thinly. "Does that surprise you?"

"Yes. She knows I am no friend to her or her red god."

"But you are a friend to me. She knows that as well." He beckoned Davos closer. "The boy is sick. Maester Pylos has been leeching him."

"The boy?" His thoughts went to his Devan, the king's squire. "My son, sire?"

"Devan? A good boy. He has much of you in him. It is Robert's bastard who is sick, the boy we took at Storm's End."

Edric Storm. "I spoke with him in Aegon's Garden."

"As she wished. As she saw." Stannis sighed. "Did the boy charm you? 

Melisandre saved Davos because Stannis needs a friend, unlikely. And why have Edric meet Davos? 

My theory is that Mel saw Davos telling Stannis to head north and fight her true enemy. Edrics burning was Melisandres bluff

I don't know about that, seems to much nothing to get to something... To me feels a little strange to Martin go this weird writers path, where he just disregard what happen before like that, Melisandre is truly keen to burning people with Kings blood.

Davos is already Stannis's most ardent and honest supporter. From the vary start we know Stannis wants his counsel even when it pains him to hear it. As such, Melisandre needs no such scheme if she wants Stannis to have Davos around. She just needs to get out of the way of their relationship. I see nothing here to indicate she is bluffing in asking for Edric's life to enhance her power. Even if she hates sacrificing the boy, she is willing to do it for the advantage of her power and vision. That does not mean she is a black and white character, but it does mean she is willing to do evil to accomplish what she sees as the greater good. Renly, Penrose, and others she kills should prove that.

2 hours ago, Chancho said:

I don't know about that, seems to much nothing to get to something... To me feels a little strange to Martin go this weird writers path, where he just disregard what happen before like that, Melisandre is truly keen to burning people with Kings blood.

I'm not totally convinced in my theory, but that passage has always bugged me. She has always been keen on burning Edric, though she seems keen to burn pretty much anything. But why would she free Davos? But right before arresting him allow him to see Edric?

20 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Davos is already Stannis's most ardent and honest supporter. From the vary start we know Stannis wants his counsel even when it pains him to hear it. As such, Melisandre needs no such scheme if she wants Stannis to have Davos around. She just needs to get out of the way of their relationship. I see nothing here to indicate she is bluffing in asking for Edric's life to enhance her power. Even if she hates sacrificing the boy, she is willing to do it for the advantage of her power and vision. That does not mean she is a black and white character, but it does mean she is willing to do evil to accomplish what she sees as the greater good. Renly, Penrose, and others she kills should prove that.

Melisandre wants to fight others. Stannis said he saw them in the snow, its not hard to put one and one together. Mel is not a battle commander, she didn't give any advice at Blackwater. If the news came from Davos however, the Kings Hand, it sways him. I can't think of any other reason Mel would allow Davos to live, let alone make sure he meets Edric. (Renly and Penrose were asking for it, maybe not it, but death in general)

In her chapter in dance, we can see that doubt sometimes beset her, i think this visions, are sometime small, sometima big puzzles, she gets a lot mixed up, based on her interpretation, so i think is fair to say sometimes she just takes a while to figure out, so the others behind the wall being the ENEMY, only maked sense to her after davos letter, something just clicked and she was able to figure this enemy finally. This visions seems heavy in metaphor, it's easy to her get lost, even tough she is mighty!

So what i mean is maybe she got one part, but the other was still on hold, she knows she need davos, but not why yet.

And she likes Davos truth be told... She knows he is Stannis champion 

5 hours ago, Chancho said:

In her chapter in dance, we can see that doubt sometimes beset her, i think this visions, are sometime small, sometima big puzzles, she gets a lot mixed up, based on her interpretation, so i think is fair to say sometimes she just takes a while to figure out, so the others behind the wall being the ENEMY, only maked sense to her after davos letter, something just clicked and she was able to figure this enemy finally. This visions seems heavy in metaphor, it's easy to her get lost, even tough she is mighty!

So what i mean is maybe she got one part, but the other was still on hold, she knows she need davos, but not why yet.

And she likes Davos truth be told... She knows he is Stannis champion 

"With mine own eyes. After the battle, when I was lost to despair, the Lady Melisandre bid me gaze into the hearthfire. The chimney was drawing strongly, and bits of ash were rising from the fire. I stared at them, feeling half a fool, but she bid me look deeper, and . . . the ashes were white, rising in the updraft, yet all at once it seemed as if they were falling. Snow, I thought. Then the sparks in the air seemed to circle, to become a ring of torches, and I was looking through the fire down on some high hill in a forest. The cinders had become men in black behind the torches, and there were shapes moving through the snow. For all the heat of the fire, I felt a cold so terrible I shivered, and when I did the sight was gone, the fire but a fire once again. But what I saw was real, I'd stake my kingdom on it."
"And have," said Melisandre.
The conviction in the king's voice frightened Davos to the core. "A hill in a forest . . . shapes in the snow . . . I don't . . ."
"It means that the battle is begun," said Melisandre. "The sand is running through the glass more quickly now, and man's hour on earth is almost done. We must act boldly, or all hope is lost. Westeros must unite beneath her one true king, the prince that was promised, Lord of Dragonstone and chosen of R'hllor."

If anything Stannis figured it out. I could get behind Mel needs Davos alive, just not sure why, however I don't understand why she would wish he meets Edric. That's just playing with fire (lol)
5 hours ago, SirArthur said:

Wait ? Devan is in this scene ? GRRM is trolling us all so much. 

Nah he's not there. Just talk of the party

45 minutes ago, Chancho said:

Yeah, right now i have no ideia, maybe she likes to tease davos, i wouldn't put that beneath her. Did she tease Cressen too?

Kinda. She could have saved him, just had to spill his drink or call the guards.

23 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

It was probably something she saw in her flames: bring Davos to Stannis before you do anything else, and that will lead you to the true goal, or something like that.

If she saw Davos kill mad Others, or give the redkiss to Mel, or anything really I could get behind. Davos is the man, probably a thousand reasons to save him.

But Edric. Her only goal in asos seems to burn him. Even when she gives Stannis leeches she tells him it's not the way. So her master plan is the first thing Davos does when he reaches court is talk to Edric. Davos is like the Eddard Stark of honor. It doesn't make sense, unless she was baiting Davos to come up with plan b.

(Though now that I'm thinking, it may be to loosen Stannis'grip on not sacrificing family members)

Archived