SOLO: A Spoiler Story (contains spoilers)

Werthead

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

They covered this very well in the video game TIE Fighter, and it'd be nice to see them do something similar in a movie.

Oh yeah Tie Fighter did a great job of letting us be the baddies, but i'd prefer a more grey area of the world/galaxy to be portrayed. I mean we see from Solo that people often sign up to serve in the Navy/army just to escape the poor situation they find themselves in. There's gotta be millions of stories worth telling for people who don't really care for the Empire of the Rebellion, as long as they get fed and paid.

A story following a band of such soldiers, people who are mostly indifferent about the big fight but are stuck in a never ending war for the empire's great machine would be interesting.

I'll give it a 7.5, but I'm also pretty satisfied with it. They likely should have cut it at least a little. Many of the characters were great, and Lando in particular. The Kessel Run was fantastic. I'd definitely go to a sequel, if only to see Han, Chewy, and Lando again.

It was definitely cheesy to have Han found the rebellion, in essence. Although it was interesting to see some of the original proto-rebels.

I was really glad to see the crime syndicate Crimson Dawn playing a major part in one of the movies. It's neat to see some of the other power players in the galaxy that aren't the empire or the rebellion/republic. 

11 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

5. The droid riot on Kessel was amusing, although I expect Star Wars going forward will put zero thought into the whole "droid slavery" thing and treat L3-37 as just some weird anomaly. 

I'm not really familiar with the cannonicity of droid AI's but there are plenty of occurrences of droids with especially quirky personalities.  Maybe this is a result of going too long without a mind wipe?  I don't know.

I especially loved how L3 basically causes an uprising with a throw away line to a single droid.  That was well done.

also,

I personally loved the movie.  It was a bit shambolic in a few places but it was still great fun.  Easily the funniest star wars movie and it gets better on repeat viewings.  I'm aware of the production history and I think far too much gets made of that.  As a movie goer, I care about what's on the screen, not how it got there.  I think far too many people are reviewing the production history when they talk about this film, as they did for Rogue One.

One complaint I have, and its a minor one, is the score.  I really liked the way the trailers were scored: Like the typical Star Wars orchestral stuff but with some distorted synth and acoustic guitar and a few other interesting elements thrown in.  Almost a spagetti western kind of feel.  I would have kept that for the film.

Another thing that bugged me bit was characters that got killed off way too early.  I would have liked to have seen Val and L3 stick around a while longer.

As for the box office, again, I think the online community pays way too much attention to this.   Is it "Star Wars fatigue"? maybe.  Maybe its that this movie is playing opposite DP2 and Infinity War.

As a fan, all you should care about in that regard is "did the film make enough to warrant another installment." Online arguments about breaking records and total grosses are so tedious.  I would remind anyone that Paramount spent the better part of a decade crapping out Transformer films that collectively grossed billions, sold billions more in merch and even spawned theme park attractions.  All this despite the fact that they were unfailing shitty movies.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

That really wasn't the Han I wanted to see. I wanted to see the smuggler, the one who always shoots first, who does some good things some times but always has an angle for himself. That Han was few and far between in this movie, and was instead sanitized and made safe.

Well first off, he DID shoot first with Beckett.

My understanding is that this film takes place 10 years before ANH. Throughout this film Han is young, cocky but idealistic in what he wants. The cracks begin to show, however, when he is betrayed first by his mentor then by the woman he loves. I came away from the film thinking that the next 10 years will be a continuation of double crosses and personal losses that will turn him into the jaded smuggler we see in ANH that always has an angle for himself and always shoots first. He essentially turned into Beckett. But the idealistic kid we see in this film is still in there. Why else would he have come back to help that other "kid" on a suicide mission?

On 5/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, Corvinus said:

I don't know why that's a mistake. The movie shows that to get to Kessel you need to get out of lightspeed, navigate through the maelstrom a bit, then go into lightspeed again. (It may be multiple short jumps) All in all a distance of 20 parsecs. Han takes a shortcut, therefore doing it in 12. After they escape the gravity well, the Falcon goes to lightspeed, but they were still in the maelstrom. 

Really liked the movie. Probably influenced by seeing with my two boys who were enthralled. Fun ride. I dug Lando and Han and Chewie. I was super confused by Darth Maul until seeing he came back from the dead. Thought Woody was great in his role. 

Quitinf above because it makes no sense to me and sounds like fan retcon. In ANH Han says 12 parsecs to make the point the Falcon is fast. Not to make the point that he happened to be in the Falcon when he discovered a shorter route through the Maelstrom 

I thought it was fun. 7/10 is about right to me. The first act was pretty weak, but once they met the mobster and Lando things picked up. Donald Glover and the droid were the highlights of the movie for me, though I also liked the many double crosses at the end. Emilia Clarke and Harrelson were quite good, though the Han actor was just fine. Overall, I think it's better than Rogue One but worse than TLJ and TFA.

I think the Han we get here fits pretty well with the Han of A New Hope. That Han was never an immoral bad guy- he never thinks about betraying Luke and co. to the empire, as the Codebreaker did in TLJ. The version we get in Solo is a younger, more impulsive, and idealistic version of ANH.

Darth Maul being alive was definitely surprising and also dumb. I see now that he plays a role on the TV shows. But he was cut in half and fell down a pit. Really?

21 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

@Iskaral Pust

I don't know what you mean by social agenda other than, maybe, the Empire is evil? I did like how they showed that the Empire is fairly corrupt and maintained lots of connections to organized crime. Not that there was a lot there. 

Otherwise the whole thing with the Marauders was far too underwritten to ascribe any social agenda, let alone liken this to the "SJW cultural ocean" (???). An extra Picard faceplam there. 

Apparently the alt right types(I'm not calling any one HERE that) are mad about L3, which kind of baffles me. To me it almost felt like they were making FUN of the whole SJW thing.

I see. Of course L3 could easily be taken as a satire of SJW types and read in a way much more consistent with the usual (tired) conservative critique about political correctness. I mainly thought L3 was mildly amusing. 

I keep thinking about it and this movie was just so disjointed. Oliver Twist? Check. All Quiet on the Western Front? Check. Train heist? (Back to the Future III???) Check. 

And what's the arc for Han?

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Apparently the alt right types(I'm not calling any one HERE that) are mad about L3, which kind of baffles me. To me it almost felt like they were making FUN of the whole SJW thing.

Ugh.  I don't mean to derail this topic but you should see the crap that populates my youtube feed when I watch star wars related stuff.  Apparently there is a very vocal population of YouTubers who believe that Kathleen Kennedy's vagina is ruining their childhoods or something.  And yes, they are losing their minds  about L3-37.  Literally every incarnation of Star Wars has featured strong female characters.  Why the excitement now? Beats me.

While I might agree agree that the recent Star wars material has had a few missteps, I don't see how that's all on Kathleen Kennedy.  Why is it that very little of this venom is directed at JJ Abrams or Lawrence Kazan or Rain Jonson? The list of reasons is possibly short...

While I'm on it, I get really annoyed when I see commentary about this movie where some clever so-and-so says "did anyone really ask for this movie?" Jesus what a dumb question.  Yeah, I totally get that everyone is really impressed with their own opinions these days but, aside from deciding on whether or not to spend your money you do not get a vote.   

5 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Ugh.  I don't mean to derail this topic but you should see the crap that populates my youtube feed when I watch star wars related stuff.  Apparently there is a very vocal population of YouTubers who believe that Kathleen Kennedy's vagina is ruining their childhoods or something.  And yes, they are losing their minds  about L3-37.  Literally every incarnation of Star Wars has featured strong female characters.  Why the excitement now? Beats me.

While I might agree agree that the recent Star wars material has had a few missteps, I don't see how that's all on Kathleen Kennedy.  Why is it that very little of this venom is directed at JJ Abrams or Lawrence Kazan or Rain Jonson? The list of reasons is possibly short...

While I'm on it, I get really annoyed when I see commentary about this movie where some clever so-and-so says "did anyone really ask for this movie?" Jesus what a dumb question.  Yeah, I totally get that everyone is really impressed with their own opinions these days but, aside from deciding on whether or not to spend your money you do not get a vote.   

Oh my friend, I am well aware of the toxic Star Wars fan community. Just tell them you're sorry L3 triggered them and ask them if they need a a safespace, they love that. :P

And yeah, I mean, I loved TLJ, but at least the people who rage against Rian Johnson are raging against the right person. The people who want to have KK killed(and I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately), well, I think their motives lie elsewhere. :(

Ph and some of the KK hate goes back to some offhand comment she made about not caring what the fans want. Which of course Lucas has never said you know, for the last 20 years or so. *rolls eyes*

Edit: Someone told me there was also a boycott due to Lando being pansexual(like tha'ts even brought up in the film) but, well, people on the internet.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I very much agree with that.  Problem for me was that it was just not needed, but to each their own.  I thought the character was terrible but she didn't really impact the movie in any way so in the end I just don't much care if she was terrible.

I saw it again and liked it more the second time, mostly because I really enjoyed that it should have been called a Chewbacca story because he is great and is the heart of the movie.

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh my friend, I am well aware of the toxic Star Wars fan community. Just tell them you're sorry L3 triggered them and ask them if they need a a safespace, they love that. :P

And yeah, I mean, I loved TLJ, but at least the people who rage against Rian Johnson are raging against the right person. The people who want to have KK killed(and I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately), well, I think their motives lie elsewhere. :(

I can actually understand some of the TLJ hate, as I didn't like it the first time I saw it either.  The pacing was strange or the directions it took were weird to me or something.  While I still have problems with it (Bombers in space? C'mon) on repeat viewings I've come to like it a lot.

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ph and some of the KK hate goes back to some offhand comment she made about not caring what the fans want. Which of course Lucas has never said you know, for the last 20 years or so. *rolls eyes*

Or GRRM for that matter.  If people got to vote, the Red Wedding would not have happened.  How much hate mail do you think he got for that?

Not really comparable, Kennedy and Martin. 

The latter started a series and then abandoned it out of laziness or jealousy, the former has Star Wars on the street corner without condoms just to get that extra $5 from the odd John who likes to raw dog it in lieu of spinning a six shooter.

Kennedy's just doing her job though.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Apparently the alt right types(I'm not calling any one HERE that) are mad about L3, which kind of baffles me.

They're offended by the anti-slavery message, even presented as something of a joke. I wish I was joking.

1 hour ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Not really comparable, Kennedy and Martin. 

The latter started a series and then abandoned it out of laziness or jealousy, the former has Star Wars on the street corner without condoms just to get that extra $5 from the odd John who likes to raw dog it in lieu of spinning a six shooter.

Kennedy's just doing her job though.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/954/323/394.jpg

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I can actually understand some of the TLJ hate, as I didn't like it the first time I saw it either.  The pacing was strange or the directions it took were weird to me or something.  While I still have problems with it (Bombers in space? C'mon) on repeat viewings I've come to like it a lot.

Or GRRM for that matter.  If people got to vote, the Red Wedding would not have happened.  How much hate mail do you think he got for that?

I was kind of indifferent to L3, though I thought the driod rebellion was hilarious when they all started just smashing shit.

Archived