SOLO: A Spoiler Story (contains spoilers)

Werthead

11 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I know I’m mostly alone on this but I really don’t want to see an old republic film. It just seems dull to me, though I suppose for people that aren’t familiar with the old EU it would all be new.

I think the broad support for such a film comes from an underlying desire by fans to see the series grow for once. Rich Evans once said that the dirty secret of Star Wars is that it seems big but it's really very small.

He was right, but by causality rather than principal. The people making the stories are too narrow minded to take the material where it wants to go.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

And I can't understand why the Clone Wars animated series is so maligned by so many Star Wars fans.

How many of those fans watched the movie and immediately wrote off the series based on that?

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Solo is being punished for the sins of its immediate predecessors and not succeeding or failing on its own merits, which is unfortunate.

?

In what way is Solo being 'punished for the sins of its immediate predecessors'? For one thing, this begs the question of whether those predecessors committed any sins. For another, it pre-emptively forgives any sins that Solo itself suffers from. And finally, it draws a link between the two for which there is no evidence and no need.

The slightly disappointing but not disastrous box office performance of a slightly disappointing but not disastrous film does not need to be explained away by reference to the three immensely successful films that preceded it.

I think the media loves to hype the "failure" of these films which only enforces the issue as it's negative PR.

At least DC fanboys/Disney conspiracy theorists can't claim media is in Disney's pockets - they love (and perhaps consumers do too) a failed movie story.

I guess one way this film is being punished by its predecessors is the simple comparison and people expecting all star wars films to perform in a similar way. It also depends on how many people really hated the last Jedi to the point where they are done with star wars. I suspect a lot of those people are still hardcore fans and will have lapped this film up. I don't think last jedi was divisive enough to make a huge dent in solo ticket events. There's probably as many people who liked last jedi who didn't watch solo because they knew it wasn't trying to change things up.

14 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

I fucking loathed Rogue One.

I stormed out of the theater the second the credits rolled.

I strolled out casually a few seconds after the credits started.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I know I’m mostly alone on this but I really don’t want to see an old republic film. It just seems dull to me, though I suppose for people that aren’t familiar with the old EU it would all be new.

I don't think you are alone at all. Personally I don't want any more prequel stories. I want to see the new people do new things. I'd like to see how Kylo Ren came to power.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I don't think you are alone at all. Personally I don't want any more prequel stories. I want to see the new people do new things. I'd like to see how Kylo Ren came to power.

The old republic will be new people doing new things though. Unless they follow the games and non canon storylines. Not that much different from how the new films/shows take elements from the old expanded material. The problem for a lot of people, including myself, is when it is just connecting the dots - it'd be too generous to say fill in the blanks with some of the ideas for films

On the flip side I'm not interested in seeing how Kylie ten got to where he was in TFA. Although im in full agreement if you mean how he might become the new ruler of the galaxy.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Personally I don't want any more prequel stories. I want to see the new people do new things. I'd like to see how Kylo Ren came to power.

... so you want a Prequel?

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

... so you want a Prequel?

That's a brilliant suggestion!

Because CGI has come on so far now, rather than do a lot of on-location shooting with puppetry for the aliens, the next production team can rely on green screen tech. Also, we'll make it darker than SW VII/VIII - it'll be a serious political drama. To show how serious it is, all the actors will be asked to talk slowly and carefully, and furrow their brows a lot to show how complex their feelings are. Because the female characters weren't popular in SW VIII, we'll improve things by having only two females in the films (and to do the story justice, this should be at minimum a trilogy) a Mother and a Love Interest to the anti-hero Kylo Ren. Neither will do much at all, so there's no worry about them spoiling things for the audience. But so that things don't get so Dark that no one will go to the cinema without a comfort blanket and cuddly rabbit, there'll also be a novelty alien with an ethnic accent to provide officially sanctioned moments of levity. 

I can't wait. :drool:

I'd like to see stories set before Old Republic. I'd like to see how the Jedi order came to be, how The First Jedi came about, and how the First Sith came about. 

Give us the myth behind Star Wars. 

And naturally, I'd also like to see the Sith come about - and not have them as purely evil. Go with the Stover interpretation - that the Sith rejected Jedi values not because of evil, but because of connection. That they wanted to draw on emotional values and love and family, and the Jedi rejected all of that - and the Sith found a different way. Show how that ended up both doing well and corrupting, especially as they were hunted by the Jedi.

In fact, show why the Sith hate the Jedi and wish their revenge on them. Show the Jedi hunting down and murdering the Sith, murdering their families, murdering whole planets for the greater good. 

As said in the post above, they essentially had to shoot the movie twice.  Yes there are car ads and mobile phone ads and what not.... they do not  add up to the advertising budget of a hollywood big budget movie.  Everything I've read and such points to a blockbuster generally doubling its budget due to advertising.  So Solo didn't just cost 250 million, it cost roughly 500 million.  And merchandising ain't the cash cow it used to be..

The reshoots seem to have added over $50-75 million to the film, taking it from $200 million to over $250 million. The film certainly didn't cost $500 million on the production budget alone, that's insane. $500 million is the bottom floor of what the film needs to take to break even considering marketing costs.

The reshoots began during the primary shoot and a lot of scenes were salvaged intact, and the changes happened before post began in earnest, so effects-wise the film wasn't really affected. The script was also not changed, so both pre and post-production costs were not impacted. The biggest hurdle was reshooting all of the scenes with the bad guy (originally Michael K. Williams as a CG character, replaced by Paul Bettany, so they actually saved money there), including the big party scene, and then going back and doing pickups on a lot of earlier scenes. They may have reshot the spaceport scene as well, which would have been a huge expense due to the number of extras.

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

That's a brilliant suggestion!

Because CGI has come on so far now, rather than do a lot of on-location shooting with puppetry for the aliens, the next production team can rely on green screen tech. Also, we'll make it darker than SW VII/VIII - it'll be a serious political drama. To show how serious it is, all the actors will be asked to talk slowly and carefully, and furrow their brows a lot to show how complex their feelings are. Because the female characters weren't popular in SW VIII, we'll improve things by having only two females in the films (and to do the story justice, this should be at minimum a trilogy) a Mother and a Love Interest to the anti-hero Kylo Ren. Neither will do much at all, so there's no worry about them spoiling things for the audience. But so that things don't get so Dark that no one will go to the cinema without a comfort blanket and cuddly rabbit, there'll also be a novelty alien with an ethnic accent to provide officially sanctioned moments of levity. 

I can't wait. :drool:

Wow, that was a very sarcastic response, well done! Now had you read the entire thread and remembered I clearly stated I would have preferred the Marvel approach to story telling, give us a Kylo centric movie, maybe another one with other characters, then give us TFA so we know and care about the characters since they would have been built up more.

Another side note, again, as I have stated in this thread, I hate the CGI heavy movies with cute cuddlies for the kiddies to like.

I hope that the drooling face was truly meant to be a statement of how your comment was dripping with sarcasm!

19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And naturally, I'd also like to see the Sith come about - and not have them as purely evil. Go with the Stover interpretation - that the Sith rejected Jedi values not because of evil, but because of connection. That they wanted to draw on emotional values and love and family, and the Jedi rejected all of that - and the Sith found a different way. Show how that ended up both doing well and corrupting, especially as they were hunted by the Jedi.

In fact, show why the Sith hate the Jedi and wish their revenge on them. Show the Jedi hunting down and murdering the Sith, murdering their families, murdering whole planets for the greater good. 

I'd watch that movie for sure, especially is there were ZERO characters that we have seen before. Don't do it and then try to get cute and have a young Yoda or teenage Chewbaca show up. 

26 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You had me at Stover.  

15 hours ago, mormont said:

?

In what way is Solo being 'punished for the sins of its immediate predecessors'? For one thing, this begs the question of whether those predecessors committed any sins. For another, it pre-emptively forgives any sins that Solo itself suffers from. And finally, it draws a link between the two for which there is no evidence and no need.

The slightly disappointing but not disastrous box office performance of a slightly disappointing but not disastrous film does not need to be explained away by reference to the three immensely successful films that preceded it.

I mostly say that on the basis of the amount of shade being thrown at the whole Star Wars venture before and after Solo came out, and the glee with which some Star Wars fans on Youtube are celebrating the poor box office of Solo as a potential breaking point for the current top brass in control of Star Wars.

And Solo is pretty much heading towards disastrous box office results. It's is a virtual certainty that Solo will come in at under 50% of the box office of Rogue One globally, and lower still for US box office. That's a disaster for Solo. 

Archived