SOLO: A Spoiler Story (contains spoilers)

Werthead

1 hour ago, Switzeran said:

The days of $100 million big studio VFX films is long gone. There's no way you're making a Star Wars movie for much less than $200 million.

Yup.  More than anything, it seems like fans don't get how to normalize/adjust for budgets.  Box office mojo should have a column for that.

19 hours ago, Relic said:

Man, is this Solo movie THAT bad that you guys are talking about shitty ass Deadpool instead? 

A slight derail from discussing how if Disney owned the fox properties it would probably have to reduce the number of blockbusters released or lower expectations.

Does anyone know what Disney's cut of ticket sales were? I know they had quite aggressive strategies with last Jedi. Maybe it means they get more of the box office but it may also mean some cinemas put it in smaller screens if they get more from the ticket sales of avengers or Deadpool? If I was running a cinema it would play into my decision especially with a film that had little buzz/hype.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

That can’t be right, Solos budget pre reshoots was reportedly around 120mil.

Pretty sure that that was an estimate of where the total production budget would be _before_ post. Given that they were fired before production wrapped, it seems reasonable enough. These VFX heavy films cost half as much again when you throw in post-production. So ... yeah, I could buy that if Solo had gone very smoothly, it'd have been in the $180 million+ ball park.

But $120 million in total? Iron Man cost $140 million in 2008, $162 million in 2018 dollars (and that's with Robert Downey Jr. reportedly being paid a pittance up front.) Anyone who claims the film was on-track for $120 million total production budget probably has a bridge in Brooklyn they want to sell.

ETA: This study is quite the eye opener.

8 hours ago, Switzeran said:

The days of $100 million big studio VFX films is long gone. There's no way you're making a Star Wars movie for much less than $200 million.

Maybe not $100 million, but in the $100-150 million range (both Ant-Man and Deadpool 2 were in that range). The real question is whether Disney will bother doing that if they already have a dozen films in a year that will make billion-dollar box office returns for each (or close enough to it). Other studios, though, can and will do that - they're not all imitating Disney's "only release 8-12 big movies in theaters a year" strategy.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Does anyone know what Disney's cut of ticket sales were? I know they had quite aggressive strategies with last Jedi.

Probably the same or similar to Last Jedi. I.E. They get on net 65% of the box office cut versus the usual 50-55%, and they get a guaranteed number of screenings. That means the theater chains are very possibly not making a profit at all (or even losing money) on ticket sales for such showings, and making their money on concessions (although they've always made most of their profit off concessions).

Honestly, a Star Wars done cheap would be pretty interesting depending on the subject. I still want a wasteland Fury Road version of the forest moon of endor following its total ecological collapse after the second Death Star blew up, with cannibalistic warboy Ewoks. 

So from what I've heard from friends and people online the star wars community wants Kennedy out and maybe someone like Dave filoni in . I personally agree . What do you think it would take after this flop for iger to take action ? Cause this movie is projecting 350 domestically and even less out ,which is dreadful to say the least and might not cover the full investment ( if we include marketing and consider that they don't take 100% of box office ) 

6 minutes ago, Vin said:

So from what I've heard from friends and people online the star wars community wants Kennedy out and maybe someone like Dave filoni in . I personally agree . What do you think it would take after this flop for iger to take action ? Cause this movie is projecting 350 domestically and even less out ,which is dreadful to say the least and might not cover the full investment ( if we include marketing and consider that they don't take 100% of box office ) 

The Star Wars "community" wants no such thing. Alt Right Incel MRA types do.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right ... this is the part where everyone who disagrees or disapproves is an evil "insert label". 

Numbers don't lie , the force awakens coasted on nostalgia and novelty of the returning franchise, rogue one was decent but ultimately meh and did meh money wise , the last Jedi under performed for the flag ship movie that it was and is arguably one of the worst in the series even competing with the prequels for the dishonor . And solo is a straight up flop that no one asked for . This is star wars , making money from it should be the easiest thing in the world , heck it's not just the movies under performing , toys aren't selling and blu rays are sitting on the shelves . 

Say what you want but this is clearly a sinking ship and you can't blame people for pointing at the captain . 

Calling people bigots for not liking a movie is just lame and reeks of echo chamber mindsets 

They're not gonna fire Kennedy over one under-performing movie. (and one divisive one.) I do think they'll play it safer though, which is a shame. 

7 hours ago, دبكال said:

Honestly, a Star Wars done cheap would be pretty interesting depending on the subject. 

I'm sure we will get these, but on the upcoming Disney streaming service.

7 hours ago, دبكال said:

I still want a wasteland Fury Road version of the forest moon of endor following its total ecological collapse after the second Death Star blew up, with cannibalistic warboy Ewoks. 

Ok now if nothing else I want to see a badass murderous bounty hunting Ewok somewhere down the line. The Battle of Endor changed him, man. 

True , I don't think they'll fire her either but I do think episode 9 will be crucial if she wants to keep her job . Lukas films was a massive investment and at this point Disney is not breaking even .

At any rate call me biased but I just don't like someone who's a self confessed non-fan running my beloved franchise and running it badly imo .

2 minutes ago, Vin said:

Right ... this is the part where everyone who disagrees or disapproves is an evil "insert label". 

Numbers don't lie , the force awakens coasted on nostalgia and novelty of the returning franchise, rogue one was decent but ultimately meh and did meh money wise , the last Jedi under performed for the flag ship movie that it was and is arguably one of the worst in the series even competing with the prequels for the dishonor . And solo is a straight up flop that no one asked for . This is star wars , making money from it should be the easiest thing in the world , heck it's not just the movies under performing , toys aren't selling and blu rays are sitting on the shelves . 

Say what you want but this is clearly a sinking ship and you can't blame people for pointing at the captain . 

Calling people bigots for not liking a movie is just lame and reeks of echo chamber mindsets 

I have a much more positive view of the recent movies. Part of that is that the bar was so low. Comparing even the worst of the Disney movies to the prequels is just insane. I was one of the people saying "no one asked for / needed this" when Solo was announced, and I liked it well enough.

Your post seems to ignore the fact that they've made billions from these movies. I read somewhere that they already recouped their investment in Star Wars With The Last Jedi. 

I don't know anything about the toys, but the film market has changed a lot since Revenge of the Sith. Fewer people are bothering to go to theaters. There's more competition (the super-hero genre barely existed back then, for one.) I think we all know that Blu-Ray sales (and to a lesser extent theater attendance) is down because of online streaming. 

But I agree we shouldn't assume anyone who is hostile to the recent movies is a douche. But sadly so many of them are, and they are extremely vocal...on the internet anyway.  

13 minutes ago, Vin said:

True , I don't think they'll fire her either but I do think episode 9 will be crucial if she wants to keep her job . Lukas films was a massive investment and at this point Disney is not breaking even .

At any rate call me biased but I just don't like someone who's a self confessed non-fan running my beloved franchise and running it badly imo .

Disney broke even a while ago.

Also, that's your OPINION that its being run badly, some of us enjoy the new films very much, thank you.

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I have a much more positive view of the recent movies. Part of that is that the bar was so low. Comparing even the worst of the Disney movies to the prequels is just insane. I was one of the people saying "no one asked for / needed this" when Solo was announced, and I liked it well enough.

Your post seems to ignore the fact that they've made billions from these movies. I read somewhere that they already recouped their investment in Star Wars With The Last Jedi. 

I don't know anything about the toys, but the film market has changed a lot since Revenge of the Sith. Fewer people are bothering to go to theaters. There's more competition (the super-hero genre barely existed back then, for one.) I think we all know that Blu-Ray sales (and to a lesser extent theater attendance) is down because of online streaming. 

But I agree we shouldn't assume anyone who is hostile to the recent movies is a douche. But sadly so many of them are, and they are extremely vocal...on the internet anyway.  

Yeah I agree , nothing comes close to the turd the phantom menace was .I dunno, I didn't enjoy solo at all , it was boring imo. 

No ,I'm not really ignoring it ,here's the example ,the force awakens made 2 billion , that doesn't mean Disney made 2 billion , that's just total global sales , you have to deduct the theater's cut , the distributors cut the production costs , the marketing costs ...etc. in other words if it hadn't made two billion it would have been a disaster . They will break even soon tho .

Don't get me wrong , I WANT these movies to do well ! Heck ,I own stocks in Disney lol 

Yeah ,I dunno it just seems that everyone gets high on virtue signaling and shaming opposite opinions these days .

56 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

This is the heart of the Star Wars community

and Michael French is one of the most stand up guys you'll ever meet no one should ever say he's alt right, incel, whatever.

The community is divided but it's still the community. But it's legitimate opinions vs. legitimate opinions.

Yes it sucks major donkey balls that the MRA's and incels and Alt right are taking advantage of the SW needs new direction side just because it suits their needs.

But if someone gripes about SW but does so only on plot, writing, and character development, even some pissy things producers and directors are saying about the fans, the other side needs to not bring up the whole scumbags of the alt right into the equation.

45 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

This is the heart of the Star Wars community

and Michael French is one of the most stand up guys you'll ever meet no one should ever say he's alt right, incel, whatever.

The community is divided but it's still the community. But it's legitimate opinions vs. legitimate opinions.

Yes it sucks major donkey balls that the MRA's and incels and Alt right are taking advantage of the SW needs new direction side just because it suits their needs.

But if someone gripes about SW but does so only on plot, writing, and character development, even some pissy things producers and directors are saying about the fans, the other side needs to not bring up the whole scumbags of the alt right into the equation.

Yeah, but there is this insane idea that there is even more than 1 percent of the people who watch these films that are upset in this matter and deamnd KK quit, etc. Mormont had a great post about it relating to the whole "boycott Solo" bullshit movement but I can not for the love of God find the post right now. And it's fine if people have legitimate gripes/whatever but the whole we need to fire KK thing is way out of hand and really out of touch.

18 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, but there is this insane idea that there is even more than 1 percent of the people who watch these films that are upset in this matter and deamnd KK quit, etc. Mormont had a great post about it relating to the whole "boycott Solo" bullshit movement but I can not for the love of God find the post right now. And it's fine if people have legitimate gripes/whatever but the whole we need to fire KK thing is way out of hand and really out of touch.

It's in the same vein as "fire Zack Snyder" was with the DCEU, in the way of anger at (in their view) mistreatment of the characters, disappointment in writing and directing style, and yearning for a new direction. I'll readily admit that the people upset with WB/DC are/were more than the people who want KK gone, I'll also give you that 1% is about right for the boycott SW people, but the people who are dissatisfied with SW and think it needs or may need a change at the top, re: KK out, Rian Johnson's trilogy definitely needing to be scrubbed, is far greater than 1% though still probably less than 50%. A community in a bit of turmoil though nonetheless.

These are people who are still going to see Ep IX and if it's good may revise their opinions on KK, but if it disappoints they will allow that to cement their opinions.

I respect Mormont and I respect you Darth, but I'm confident in what I posted above.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:19 AM, La Albearceleste said:

Oh dear. You've fallen into the trap here, and lost perspective.

No, these people are not the reason Solo's BO has been slightly disappointing. They are the same people, it seems, who said the same things and claimed the same 'victory' for their 'boycott' after TLJ. As I noted earlier, I hadn't even been aware that they were 'boycotting' Solo, and I doubt one person in ten thousand who was thinking of going to see Solo was aware of it either. Possibly not even one in a hundred thousand. If their 'boycott' (and I keep putting it in quotes because I don't believe that even half of the idiots involved actually boycotted the film) caused a drop of even 0.1% of the box office, I would be astonished. They may be patting themselves on the back, but that's because they're delusional. I see no reason why the rest of us should buy into that delusion.

The idea that their harassment of Kelly Marie Tran somehow proves there are a lot of these nasty little bullies is utterly absurd. You don't need more than a dozen dickheads to harass someone off social media. One can be enough. To suggest that this sickening behaviour somehow adds substance to the idea that the boycott has an impact is not only stupid, it's playing into the hands of the tiny number of jerks who do this. This is precisely what they want to do - persuade people that they are important by behaving in the most detestable manner possible. It's a childish tactic and I can't believe anyone would fall for it.

25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I quoted him above the quote of you.

And the difference between a sad little white boy and a legitimate criticism is ME! I'll fucking bury the Disney's Marvel's Star Wars movies. But one thing you won't see me do is call for Kathleen Kennedy's head. 'Cause even though I described her as putting Star Wars on the streetcorner I also acknowledged that it's her fucking job to do so and she's done it very well. 

Disney doesn't care what you stupid fat pigs think of the film, long as the dough is rolling in 'cause you keep eating the slop. And the -only- even marginal disappointment has been Solo which had a cavalcade of issues contributing to its 'demise' which is simply not breaking a Billion.

KK is going to keep her job. She deserves to keep her job. The fool with no grammar is a lil 4Chan sadboi.

Eh, I think trying to marginalize the opposition and pretend that everything is dandy is delusional and won't fix the issues in this franchise . Something is obviously wrong since these movies are under performing and drawing bad opinions ,and someone is responsible for this "something wrong" , why can't it be Kennedy ? Person at the top gets the brunt of praise when things go right and most of the criticism when things go wrong . It's normal . Accountability and responsibility are a thing . 

This attitude of "if you don't like it it's because you're X " is nothing but polarizing , juvenile and condescending to people's ability to think on their own . Colbert and his types should be ashamed .

"Why can't it be Kennedy"?

It can be. But when the first target of your impotent whining is a woman almost entirely divorced from the actual production of the films, echoing the deepest pits of nastiness on the internet, instead of assessing the issues in a logical and causality based argument then you've sold any and all credibility.

I haven't noticed you mention a single thing you don't like about the films other than "I don't like 'em!"

I'm gonna guess it's because you're incapable of the basic diagnostic processes besides making fucking stupid "SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRRRRRRRRRIORRRR" rants and you're possessed of just enough base cunning to know not to lead with such a statement.

Archived