SOLO: A Spoiler Story (contains spoilers)

Werthead

40 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

1. I really liked the movie.

2. The hate for KK was raging long before Solo came out.

3. No criticism for Jon and Lawrence Kazan?  The wrote the thing after all.  From what I've read, L Kazdan was entirely supportive of her decision to sack Lord and Miller as they were taking excessive liberties with his script. 

So no, I don't agree.

For points 1 and 2 same as the other dude (deadlines)

For 3 : so your defence is that I didn't criticize everyone ? What's next , I should criticize the janitor on the set ? 

It goes top to bottom , when Amazon does great we call Jeff  a genius not the guys loading the merchandise , same when he fucks up . This is simple .

22 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

A bunch of people here liked Solo, so, just staying it stunk stated as fact oh fuck it im going to bed fuck y'all

Money talks ,mate . A flop by any other name ...  

Also you can't ignore reviews and call them to your defence however you like , they either matter or they don't and considering that the movie is doing poorly in both reviews and revenue ... I just don't see your angle of argument other than Kennedy is a woman so we're not allowed to criticize her and anecdotal examples.

And how can you say that the last Jedi didn't under perform when it dropped 300 + million from its' predecessor ?  That's not chunk change . 

Edit: if episode 9 under performs I wouldn't be so sure of her staying . Bob iger isn't an idiot, he knows this franchise can do so much better financially . I think it would be better to save face to "relegate" her to the financial aspects while handing over the artistic and creative aspects to someone else (Dave filoni anyone ?) , she's still be producer and high up but far enough that she wouldn't be the criticism sponge she is now . Also it would help if she and her buddy rian Johnson stopped calling the fans names because of some nasty people.

PS : I'm kinda peeved that this is in the solo thread instead of the all things star wars thread . I feel it would fit better there .

2 hours ago, Vin said:

For points 1 and 2 same as the other dude (deadlines)

For 3 : so your defence is that I didn't criticize everyone ? What's next , I should criticize the janitor on the set ? 

It goes top to bottom , when Amazon does great we call Jeff  a genius not the guys loading the merchandise , same when he fucks up . This is simple .

I don't care who you criticize.  I'm merely pointing out that a disproportionate amount of the online whining is directed at Kathleen Kennedy.  The harshest of it; it's no mystery to me where it comes from.  Just as the reason Kelly Marie Tran quit instagram is no mystery either.  

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Because TFA was a huge cultural event. Learn to read.

And Solo is not doing "poorly" in reviews.

These things have been gone over so many times I'm going to just assume you're an alt of someone.

How does one define a cultural event ? Stop hiding behind vague terms , insults and anecdotal examples.

I'll give you that one , 71 and 65 aren't terrible but they're nothing to write home about either .

All you've done this entire argument is make assumptions. Your first statement was to call me alt right etc. I guess it's fitting that it's your final conclusion as well .

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I don't give care who you criticize.  I'm merely pointing out that a disproportionate amount of the online whining is directed a Kathleen Kennedy.  The harshest of it; it's no mystery to me where it comes from.  Just as the reason Kelly Marie Tran quitting instagram is no mystery either.  

Yeah , I agree that there's probably a portion of the criticism Kennedy is receiving that's just awful for awful reasons by awful people,but to dismiss all criticism under this mantle is foolish and dangerous because it creates echo chambers . 

For example I have many criticisms for kasden for the shitty film he wrote but I didn't even get the chance to get to that because as soon as I mentioned Kennedy accusations of alt right popped up you'd think I shot jfk (obvious hyperbole is obvious) and I don't think that's right ,that's why I'm a bit hung up on this issue .

9 minutes ago, Vin said:

How does one define a cultural event ? Stop hiding behind vague terms , insults and anecdotal examples.

Seriously?

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and and agree that it was kind of a big deal.

https://ew.com/article/2014/12/05/star-wars-force-awakens-by-the-numbers/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_records_set_by_Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens

47 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Man, you  must really hate Blade Runner and Dark City and Dredd and all those other films that didn't make money.

Edit: This reminds me a bit of all the people who think Nintendo is going to go out of business ANY DAY NOW.

Liked blade runner , didn't watch dark city , dress was meh .the example you're looking for is shawshank redemption ;)

Let's not pretend that solo is something that it's not , it's a bad to meh summer sci-fi heist flick not some future cult pop sensation.

No one thinks that except uninformed people, Nintendo is here to stay but in it niche . It's not PlayStation . Star Wars should be like PlayStation but it's performing like Nintendo and that's the problem .

I dunno what alt means , sorry . Google says it's "Alanine transaminase" but I doubt it . 

firing and replacing directors based on "creative differences" sure seems creative and artistic to me . Are you seriously gonna argue that the producer had no input on the creative directions of this movie ? 

at this point I'm not sure what you're arguing , that everything is fine and dandy and The film is great ?that Kennedy and kasden and Johnson bear no responsibility for the lackluster performance ? I'd say that's wrong but you're entitled to your opinion . 

of course I know that the return of the series was huge but that's not a magic shield that you can here 300+ million dollars behind . A comparative example would be the prequels which are acknowledged to be shit but it was a "cultural event" as well (series returning and all that jazz) and the phantom menace did 400 while the clone wars did 300 . Shouldn't the drop off be similar since it all due to the "cultural event " factor ? (BTW this is off the top of my head so there might be room for you to wiggle out of the comparison)

PS : wacky font popped .

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Nintendo is not niche. It’s one of the fastest selling console launches of all time 

okay , that's my bad , niche is too limited a term but i think my point is clear .

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Alt implies you post here under a different name and for reasons I know are using this one to hide your identity.

nope , sorry to disappoint but alas i'm just a noobie . lurked on and off for a while and read most of the book related stuff before making an account . 

2 hours ago, Vin said:

PS : I'm kinda peeved that this is in the solo thread instead of the all things star wars thread . I feel it would fit better there .

[mod] This is the one thing this poster has said that I agree with, so - do this. Stick to the topic, please, and that topic is the film Solo. Wider discussion should be moved to the appropriate thread. [/mod]

16 hours ago, Vin said:

Right ... this is the part where everyone who disagrees or disapproves is an evil "insert label". 

Numbers don't lie , the force awakens coasted on nostalgia and novelty of the returning franchise

What numbers show this?

16 hours ago, Vin said:

, rogue one was decent but ultimately meh and did meh money wise

What numbers show that Rogue One was 'meh'?

16 hours ago, Vin said:

, the last Jedi under performed for the flag ship movie that it was and is arguably one of the worst in the series even competing with the prequels for the dishonor .

What numbers show that Last Jedi is one of the worst in the series?

16 hours ago, Vin said:

And solo is a straight up flop that no one asked for . This is star wars , making money from it should be the easiest thing in the world , heck it's not just the movies under performing , toys aren't selling and blu rays are sitting on the shelves . 

What numbers indicate that toys aren't selling and movie sales are lagging?

16 hours ago, Vin said:

Say what you want but this is clearly a sinking ship and you can't blame people for pointing at the captain . 

What numbers indicate that this is a sinking ship?

1 hour ago, كالدب said:

What numbers show this?

What numbers show that Rogue One was 'meh'?

What numbers show that Last Jedi is one of the worst in the series?

What numbers indicate that toys aren't selling and movie sales are lagging?

What numbers indicate that this is a sinking ship?

Couldn't for some reason copy the quote to the all things star wars thread like our venerable mod asked so I just pm'd you the links ,hope that's acceptable.

Have a nice day :)

Archived