SOLO: A Spoiler Story (contains spoilers)

Werthead

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Just saw the film, a bit late to the party. It was good, a solid 7/10. It wasn’t groundbreaking but I didn’t need or even really want it to be.

Agree. Why would anyone think that this could possibly be ground breaking or amazingly new? They had to write it within the history we know. It was billed as Solo, so of course it's a story about him and what shaped who he was when we met him in ANH. A jaded smuggler who looks out for himself.   I think they went way out on a limb with Maul (and don't like it) so it's not like it was played entirely safe.

To me it was a fun movie set in Star Wars world and I was ok with it. I would rather have seen a movie set in the current time line so that story is advanced but oh well.

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Just saw the film, a bit late to the party. It was good, a solid 7/10. It wasn’t groundbreaking but I didn’t need or even really want it to be.

I would have said more or less the same when I came out of the theater. It gets better on subsequent viewings. I think its genuinely funny and easily the funniest Star wars film.

Well I see I missed the actual discussion of the movie as the thread descended into more of the same it's a flop no it's not no you shut up aahhhh SJW they ruined my childhood. But whatever, I just saw it so I'll share my thoughts anyway.

First off, I really enjoyed the film and came out of the cinema thinking that was £4.99 (wtf at these prices?! I don't think I have ever paid so little to see a film in recent years) well spent. The movie was tons of fun, genuinely funny, and I thought the entire cast was great. The weakest was Erenreich (not sure on the spelling) as Solo for me, but I certainly didn't feel he was bad or anything, it was more to do with my association of Ford with the role I think.

Some highlights - the whole "train heist" sequence was awesome. Only met the characters involved briefly but I felt for them all and was moved when they died. Plus, the action and score ramped up the excitement for me and made the scene memorable. 

The overall look of the film. Some pretty awesome shots and generally everything just looked so sumptuous and pleasing to the eye. 

Droid rebellion. :lmao: hopefully I needn't say more. I gave a couple of unattractive belly laughs at those scenes.

Donald Glover as Lando was great. So suave and the epitome of schmoozy gangster. 

Was it flawless? No. A few things I wasn't satisfied by:

Kira's story being skimmed over. She did some bad things, apparently, and was ashamed of her past....I really wanted to know more about this to flesh the character out some more. Will say here that I though Emilia Clarke did a wonderful job, and it was nice to see her not deadpanning and actually showing g some range.

Darth Maul. That was a big meh and eye roll for me because well, a) he really should be dead, and b) they really really went out of their way to hit you over the head with the fact that THIS IS A CAMEO AND HE IS DARTH MAUL LOOK AT HIM NEEDLESSLY IGNITE HIS LIGHTSABRE! Could have done without that, but it's small fries in the grand scheme of things.

They killed off Thandie way too early 

And because I have to share this small anecdote, as I was coming out of the cinema I was walking with this lovely old couple who had been to see the film too and he was telling her that he really enjoyed it and thought it was stunning and did she remember when they went to see ESB together? Which was lovely, and then they ended up on my bus home and chatted with me all the way back and the whole thing was just lovely. Anyway, needless anecdote but had to share

26 minutes ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

Kira's story being skimmed over. She did some bad things, apparently, and was ashamed of her past....I really wanted to know more about this to flesh the character out some more. Will say here that I though Emilia Clarke did a wonderful job, and it was nice to see her not deadpanning and actually showing g some range.

It feels a bit like some of the host backstories in Westworld where they talk about how they're haunted by all the bad things they've done, but the writers hadn't actually written any of the details about what they were haunted by. Admittedly, if they were going with the plot about Han being naive about her it would have been difficult to give too much detail about what she'd been up to in the meantime. I did think Clarke did a good job considering that the character felt a bit underwritten.

1 hour ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

Some highlights - the whole "train heist" sequence was awesome. Only met the characters involved briefly but I felt for them all and was moved when they died. Plus, the action and score ramped up the excitement for me and made the scene memorable. 

The overall look of the film. Some pretty awesome shots and generally everything just looked so sumptuous and pleasing to the eye. 

Droid rebellion. :lmao: hopefully I needn't say more. I gave a couple of unattractive belly laughs at those scenes.

Those sequences were great. The Kessel run was also a lot of fun.  Actually, there were a lot of great scenes in that film.

1 hour ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

HE IS DARTH MAUL LOOK AT HIM NEEDLESSLY IGNITE HIS LIGHTSABRE! 

And because I have to share this small anecdote, as I was coming out of the cinema I was walking with this lovely old couple who had been to see the film too and he was telling her that he really enjoyed it and thought it was stunning and did she remember when they went to see ESB together? Which was lovely, and then they ended up on my bus home and chatted with me all the way back and the whole thing was just lovely. Anyway, needless anecdote but had to share

That's kind if his thing.

I absolutely agree about Thandie Newton.

I was going to say "ESB?" but it just hit me. That's cool.

3 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

Darth Maul. That was a big meh and eye roll for me because well, a) he really should be dead, and b) they really really went out of their way to hit you over the head with the fact that THIS IS A CAMEO AND HE IS DARTH MAUL LOOK AT HIM NEEDLESSLY IGNITE HIS LIGHTSABRE! Could have done without that, but it's small fries in the grand scheme of things.

On a personal note, a friend of mine was cast in the movie, John Tui credited as playing the role of Korso (he also played Bolg in The Hobbit movies). He had pretty much all of his scenes with Thandie Newton. They go to the red carpet event for the movie opening, rubbing shoulders with all the VIPs etc. They are siting next to each other while the movie is playing and John is in exactly zero scenes in the movie (possibly a non-speaking soldier in the foxhole scene), and Thandie's scenes are severely cut. Had no idea the movie had edited them both that severely. They share a look, both feeling a bit deflated.

The only indirect reference to his character in the movie is the line where Rio Durant says their crew is low on numbers (i.e. some of the crew is now dead, which includes the not seen Korso) when trying to convince Woody to bring Han and Chewie into the crew.

Them's the breaks I guess. Get paid for the work, get to work with a director like Ron Howard, but not getting any screen time doesn't do your career any favours.

The Darth Maul thing made total sense to me, because I really liked the Clone Wars TV series and watched every season. So it was a great nod to that from my perspective. And that one scene pretty much makes the Clone Wars TV series part of the Star Wars movie canon now, which is great! So for me, Darth Maul was pretty much the best scene in the movie because it reminded me of the last time I genuinely enjoyed a Star Wars production. The pity of it (because Solo is going to be a big flop financially and they won't continue with this possible story arc) will probably be that no movie will ever explain why Darth Maul is nowhere to be seen (i.e. finally does get dead) in A New Hope. I do feel like Darth Maul does set things up for an Obi Wan movie where as his last act as a Jedi before becoming a recluse on Tatooine he hunts down and takes out Darth Maul, finishing the job he started in The Phantom Menace.

52 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh yeah. not to get spoilery but that Obi Wan movie you describe can't happen because of things that happen on Rebels

Is Rebels referenced in the Star Wars movies, the way Clone Wars has now been? If not, then Rebels could be regarded as not canon for the purposes of available plots for future movies.

I think despite really enjoying Clone Wars, after watching this series I wasn't ready to get straight into another Star Wars TV series, and the first episode didn't grab me. So I never watched it.

52 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is Rebels referenced in the Star Wars movies, the way Clone Wars has now been? If not, then Rebels could be regarded as not canon for the purposes of available plots for future movies.

I think despite really enjoying Clone Wars, after watching this series I wasn't ready to get straight into another Star Wars TV series, and the first episode didn't grab me. So I never watched it.

Oh yes. It's super extra canon. I mean, Lucasfilm has said so, uh, a lot, plus i mean its had James Earl Jones and Billy Dee Williams and uh, other spoilery cameos. And the ship and dropd are in R1, and I could go on, but its 100 percent canon.

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh yeah. not to get spoilery but that Obi Wan movie you describe can't happen because of things that happen on Rebels

Yeah, I don't see that Obi wan guest appearance happening unless it's a live action remake.

I guess there's still some potential for Maul in the time between solo and rebels. If (probably a big if) they continue to mine movies in the pre new hope era then Maul as a criminal overlord seems worth expanding upon. Particularly given where he is in rebels.

And yes, rebels is easily as canon as clone wars thanks to rogue one. Probably the larger force mythology in rebels will make it even more so down the line

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I recommend you give it another try. It gets better. 

And besides it being connected to Rogue One and the OT, it also led to much speculation by fans about certain characters ageing into certain characters in the new trilogy. That was not the case, yet, but they left room for connections.

They've even stated/retconned that the white bearded commando in RotJ was in fact Captain Rex from Clone Wars who shows up in Rebels with a white beard. Rebels is indeed super extra cannon.

Has anyone watched the Forces of Destiny shorts? Most are pretty lame (thank God they're short) but a few tie prequel/sequel characters back to the original trilogy. 

Not really spoiler but I'll tag it:

Maz helped get the Boussh uniform for Leia. Boussh was a real bounty hunter whose identity Leia borrowed (which may not be new, but new to me).

4 hours ago, Eriksen's New Mascot said:

They've even stated/retconned that the white bearded commando in RotJ was in fact Captain Rex from Clone Wars who shows up in Rebels with a white beard. Rebels is indeed super extra cannon.

Has anyone watched the Forces of Destiny shorts? Most are pretty lame (thank God they're short) but a few tie prequel/sequel characters back to the original trilogy. 

Not really spoiler but I'll tag it:

Hide contents

Maz helped get the Boussh uniform for Leia. Boussh was a real bounty hunter whose identity Leia borrowed (which may not be new, but new to me).

That wasn't new except the Maz part.

My guess is they'll combine Solo 2 with the Obi Wan movie. Get Obi Wan tangentially involved with the Jabba job where Obi Wan doesn't meet Han (and yet does meet Chewie as one could argue they clearly know each other in A New Hope) and then at the end-ish they recreate the scene from Rebels with Obi Wan and Maul.

What's funny is that per Star Wars (ANH), Han still hasn't met any Jedi until Obi-Wan (hokey religions and ancient weapons), so he can't meet up or face Maul in any way without breaking canon. 

I mean, how can someone give this sorry excuse of a movie 7/10 points if movies like the Godfather or Inception or Heat (both latter ones being heist movies of sorts) garner universally 9 or 10 points of 10. That would be only 2 or 3 points off - and that lets me ... uhm ... flabbergasted.

The best SW movie, The Empire strikes back is on my book a 7, barely. And I like SW, I am a genuine fan, but realize that even if you lower the standards of Sci-fi or fantasy movies by 2, it would be a 9/10. This movie is the heart and soul of SW. But giving Solo the same points is just way too much.

It is a 4, within Sci-Fi a 5 or 6 - maybe.

21 minutes ago, Proposition Dirk said:

I mean, how can someone give this sorry excuse of a movie 7/10 points if movies like the Godfather or Inception or Heat (both latter ones being heist movies of sorts) garner universally 9 or 10 points of 10. That would be only 2 or 3 points off - and that lets me ... uhm ... flabbergasted.

The best SW movie, The Empire strikes back is on my book a 7, barely. And I like SW, I am a genuine fan, but realize that even if you lower the standards of Sci-fi or fantasy movies by 2, it would be a 9/10. This movie is the heart and soul of SW. But giving Solo the same points is just way too much.

Stopped reading when you put Inception in the same sentence as The Godfather and Heat. Holy fuck...

40 minutes ago, Proposition Dirk said:

Because people typically don't grade all the movies ever made on the same scale. And people have preferences in terms of what they typically watch. For example, I don't give a shit about Godfather, because I don't care for those type of movies, therefore all Star Wars movies would rank higher than it.

Archived