SOLO: A Spoiler Story (contains spoilers)

Werthead

2 hours ago, Switzeran said:

ANH - 9 (note this is contextual, using the term "one of the Greats"; ANH is definitely one of the great Hollywood films because of its influence and importance, but if you just viewed it purely as a film, it's more like a 7)

TESB - 9 (no context needed here, it's genuinely great)

ROTJ - 8 (I like Ewoks more than most.)

TPM - 4

AotC - 3

RotS - 4

TFA - 7

R1 - 8

TLJ - 6 

Solo - Haven't watched it.

Yep, totally agree with this assessment.  I'd like to add that the reason TESB works so well is because ROTJ ties in incredibly well with it and is just a superb second act.  TLJ may follow suit, though I have strong doubts that it will.  TESB was not well received, did poorly at the box office, and wasn't acknowledged as the masterpiece it is for years after its release.

R1 is also easily the best of the 'new' films.  The setting is perfect, the characters are great, and the details of the story in the previous movies were sparse enough to have it feel new.

43 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Yep, totally agree with this assessment.  I'd like to add that the reason TESB works so well is because ROTJ ties in incredibly well with it and is just a superb second act.  TLJ may follow suit, though I have strong doubts that it will.  TESB was not well received, did poorly at the box office, and wasn't acknowledged as the masterpiece it is for years after its release.

What?

1 minute ago, Slurktan said:

What?

Compared to ANH, sorry that should have been stated.  It grossed 30% less and even adjusting for inflation sits in the middle of the pack as far as Star Wars movies go.  Poorly was a strong word. 

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

Compared to ANH, sorry that should have been stated.  It grossed 30% less and even adjusting for inflation sits in the middle of the pack as far as Star Wars movies go.  Poorly was a strong word. 

You chose...(your words) poorly...

On 6/19/2018 at 9:35 PM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Well, my own scale is as follows:

0 - the worst film ever made

1 - diabolical. Truly fucking terrible

2 - so bad it made me angry

3 - solidly bad thoughout, but not offensive like a 2

4 - quite bad, but with moments of good

5 - equally good and bad. Meh.

6 - quite good but with some notable flaws

7 - solidly good, but nothing special

8 - very good and highly enjoyable

9 - one of the Greats

10 - the best film ever made

So according to this scale, Solo is a fairly comfortable 7 for me. It gets judged on my own experience, not on how “close” it is to other, better films. For that you’d need a much bigger scale.

Edit: added a 0 and changed 1. My scale was lop-sided!

Based on that...

Phantom Menace 4

Attack of the Clones 3

Revenge of the Sith 5

A New Hope 8

Empire Stikes Back 8

Return of the Jedi 6

Force Awakens 4

The Last Jedi 2

Rogue One 7

9 hours ago, aceluby said:

R1 is also easily the best of the 'new' films.  The setting is perfect, the characters are great, and the details of the story in the previous movies were sparse enough to have it feel new.

Meh. The characters are actually the weakest part of the movie for me.

Solo was a pile of garbage.  Pansexual Lando in love with his droid, what a pile of CRAP.

Kathleen Kennedy and Pablo Hidalgo and all the rest of those at Lucasfilm who are behind this  nonsense need to go.  Dave Filoni would be great to take over all operations, if he did a film about Ahsoka (best female character in SW IMO, easily my favorite SW character period) or anything else might bring Star Wars back from the brink of this lunacy.  Seeing a film take off from the end of the Rebels story line, with both Ahsoka and Sabine Wren (Sabine being my 2nd favorite SW character) being the protagonists...now THAT would fill seats. Or at the very least, be a successful tv series, live action or animated. 

I agree with others about Rogue One, I felt it was better than both TFA and TLJ, and by a long ways with the latter.  The 3rd act of Rogue One was fantastic, probably the best Star Wars space/land battle scenes ever, and will be hard to top.  I only wish we could have gotten more than one film from Felicity Jones, I felt she was fantastic, as was that entire cast.

I wish we would get an Obi Wan film with Ewan M starring - that would have the potential to be a great film as well, especially with a youngster Luke Skywalker together with him on Tat.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Meh. The characters are actually the weakest part of the movie for me.

Yeah, this issue made it really hard to give a shit about any of them at the end and the film hinges on this. The characters had the potential to be good but the screenplay left them as sketches leaving the actors performances to do the heavy lifting. The robot was the only one I felt bad for when he croaked.

TFA made me care about all the new characters so the runtime can't be blamed. The structure of rogue one was sound though as well as the action.

While I do think filloni should be allowed a larger role in the making of the films I'm not sure his directing a film would fill seats. The general WTF to the solo villain reveal shows the crossover from filonis TV show audience and general star wars film audience is low.

28 minutes ago, red snow said:

TFA made me care about all the new characters so the runtime can't be blamed. The structure of rogue one was sound though as well as the action.

My problem with Rogue One is that it is two different movies jammed together after act 2.  That's likely due to Edwards essentially being replaced as director but I'm curious as to what was going on with Edwards's act 3.  It may not be good or anything, just curious.  I'm also curious to see what the Miller and Lord version of Solo was (which was apparently 95% done) just to see what it was.  Similarly I'd like to see Zack Snyder's Justice League just to see what was there.  (I'm more curious on that one how it could possibly be worse than the monstrosity we got)

If your major problem with Solo is the extremely brief suggestion of a relationship between two supporting characters that may or may not actually be romantic, I think your problem does not lie with what's on the screen, but with your personal agenda. 

Characters, being pansexual, or any-sexual - great, should be encouraged, and celebrated.  Cheaping out by creating one of these characters as a robot...that's my issue with it, and it's crap.  Should have made that more clear.  Kennedy et al are half assing it IMO, if you want to make a statement, make it.

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

My problem with Rogue One is that it is two different movies jammed together after act 2.  That's likely due to Edwards essentially being replaced as director but I'm curious as to what was going on with Edwards's act 3.  It may not be good or anything, just curious.  I'm also curious to see what the Miller and Lord version of Solo was (which was apparently 95% done) just to see what it was.  Similarly I'd like to see Zack Snyder's Justice League just to see what was there.  (I'm more curious on that one how it could possibly be worse than the monstrosity we got)

I'm with you on the curiosity side of things. Would make a great learning tool for the craft of directing. Let's add antman to the list too (although no footage was ever directed in that one). It's just a shame it costs too much to do post production on what was shot of the other films although for rogue one the trailer suggests a lot had even made it that far.

1 hour ago, SerHaHa said:

Characters, being pansexual, or any-sexual - great, should be encouraged, and celebrated.  Cheaping out by creating one of these characters as a robot...that's my issue with it, and it's crap.  Should have made that more clear.  Kennedy et al are half assing it IMO, if you want to make a statement, make it.

There is that "convenient" element of the first female droid happens to turn up when they decide to have a pansexual character present too. Because sadly it would be more "offensive" to some of the robot was make in any way.

9 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Kathleen Kennedy and Pablo Hidalgo and all the rest of those at Lucasfilm who are behind this  nonsense need to go.  Dave Filoni would be great to take over all operations, if he did a film about Ahsoka (best female character in SW IMO, easily my favorite SW character period) or anything else might bring Star Wars back from the brink of this lunacy.  Seeing a film take off from the end of the Rebels story line, with both Ahsoka and Sabine Wren (Sabine being my 2nd favorite SW character) being the protagonists...now THAT would fill seats. Or at the very least, be a successful tv series, live action or animated. 

This right here is exactly why the hate is there for anything that happens with Star Wars, same as Game of Thrones. They need to not mess with the original characters and only move forward with new ones so no one can say hey, that's not how Luke would've done this, or Han would have walked like this and Chewie would've gone back home....

Everyone, including me, has their favorite characters built up in our heads for years, and think that they know exactly what should be done and if they would just listen to us it would all be great. I fall into the same category and have to pull myself out of it.

And the whole pansexual thing, really? There are freaking humans buying robots in real life to marry and have sex with! Not make believe, but real humans. Dolls, people marrying their pets..i mean damn at least the droid had it's own thoughts! 

Yeah I’m not sure why the idea that someone could fall in love with a droid who clearly has her own thoughts and personality is so alien (is that an unintentional pun?). I’m not sure if we are all just talking at crossed wires here and Im on the same page as Ser HaHa though, because I also feel it wasn’t executed particularly well, though my problem wasn’t with L3 being a droid but the way it was written. Wasn’t really clear whether I was supposed to take the whole thing as a joke (Kira and L3’s talk) or much more seriously. But the idea itself was a good one

3 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

Wasn’t really clear whether I was supposed to take the whole thing as a joke (Kira and L3’s talk) or much more seriously.

I took that conversation as L3 projecting - she had a crush on Lando, not vice versa. He obviously did genuinely care for her, though; perhaps more than she realised.

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah those filthy pansexuals are ruining my space wizards film and also America!

Yeah, like that scene in the movie where Lando was all,

WHUMP,WHUMP,WHUMP,WHUMP,WHUMPWHUMPWHUMPWHUMPWHUMPWHUMP

And L3 was totally like,

CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!CLANG! CLANGCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANG!!!

And let's not forget chapter 6 of the Calrisian Chronicles:

PAN-life: An Inquiry Into Cultural Orthodoxy and the TDL-3.5 That Made Me a Man.

Those scenes they must have shown when I wasn't looking ruined everything.  Ruined! 

13 hours ago, red snow said:

There is that "convenient" element of the first female droid happens to turn up when they decide to have a pansexual character present too. Because sadly it would be more "offensive" to some of the robot was make in any way.

L3-37 isn't the first female droid in the star wars universe.

10 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

Yeah I’m not sure why the idea that someone could fall in love with a droid who clearly has her own thoughts and personality is so alien (is that an unintentional pun?). I’m not sure if we are all just talking at crossed wires here and Im on the same page as Ser HaHa though, because I also feel it wasn’t executed particularly well, though my problem wasn’t with L3 being a droid but the way it was written. Wasn’t really clear whether I was supposed to take the whole thing as a joke (Kira and L3’s talk) or much more seriously. But the idea itself was a good one

Anyone see the movie "Her"?

Archived