SOLO: A Spoiler Story (contains spoilers)

Werthead

20 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

The silver C-3PO model in one of the Lucasized Star Wars versions is clearly supposed to be a 'female'.

Don't forget this sassy little number

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/WA-7_service_unit

That maternity droid with a giant shoehorn for a hand that delivered Luke and Laia in Ep. III, I'm not so sure about that one.

If you include the rest of the new cannon, I'm pretty sure Clone Wars, Rebels and the comics have more than a few as well.

My phone typos are terrible at the moment. (Dead laptop). Should have been "if the droid was male in any way".

It doesn't matter too much if L3 wasn't the first female droid (although I don't recall one ever having such a prominent role) but more the possibility more people would have been upset at the notion of lando being attracted to a male droid. They should have gone with him being attracted to a genderless droid. I suspect such notions as gender probably go out the window anyhow when dealing with some of the less humanoid star wars species.

I agree it was strange how the scene with L3 and Kira was played as a joke.

I still think the more evidence we get of droids bring sentient (and bring capable of love is as much an indicator as demanding freedom) the more unsettling I find the treatment of droids in the star wars universe. Like I've said before, if they are sentient then even the good guys use droids as slaves and think very little of droids beyond being useful tools or at best pets (or more like working dogs)

Did the EU ever have any force wielding droids? That would be even more damning.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

Did the EU ever have any force wielding droids? That would be even more damning.

Not that I can recall.  I know specifically in the Thrawn series C'Boath says that droids are simply holes in the force. I want to say there is a part in the TOR MMO where they might have discovered force wielding droids but nothing comes out of it.

However I'd say R2 has it in the same way Han does.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Not that I can recall.  I know specifically in the Thrawn series C'Boath says that droids are simply holes in the force. I want to say there is a part in the TOR MMO where they might have discovered force wielding droids but nothing comes out of it.

However I'd say R2 has it in the same way Han does.

Good point regarding R2 and Han.

That video does not paint the Jedi in a good light when the expel a member for suggesting droids can be sentient.

The sentient silicon shards is a bit of a get out as it doesn't really prove/disprove the droid question. 

• 3 months later...

Finally rented this. It was kind of mediocre -- not terrible, but not excellent outside of some select moments. The other new films are certainly better, the OT certainly are, but I suppose it's not as bad as the prequels (not a very high bar, I know). Donald Glover was definitely the highlight, without question. Enfys Nest was a nice twist (and, Wookipedia tells me, was created in part as a reaction to Arya Stark on GoT, per Joe Kasdan, so that's kind of neat that GRRM has once again indirectly been an influence on a Star Wars film...), the actress had good presence and I liked the character design for her and the Cloud-Rider crew (have they showed up in any cartoons?). Nice Warwick Davis cameo, too.

The big issue: first act went _way_ too long. By my count, it took 40 minutes before you actually got into the real story, and even after that there were significant pieces of time where nothing interesting was really happening (either visually or dramatically). This film could have been way tighter. And then, after that, well, a lot of it was just kind of by-the-numbers. The most interesting potential story was that of Qi'ra, and the writers chose to make her very passive.
Also, Beckett's crew were far too sketched in -- especially Val (his wife) and Rio (the pilot) -- for their deaths to matter a jot, so it was all rather bland and perfunctory.

Alden Ehrenreich was fine, I got used to his not-Harrison-Fordness after awhile. L3 was amusingly interesting, and I'd actually be perfectly interested in a prequel to the prequel featuring young Lando and L3. Clarke was fine, but again, her character was very passive in an odd way and I think they should have pushed the femme fatale angle more than they did. I mean, yeah, that'd be cliché, but it would have livened up proceedings if she was genuinely working at cross-purposes to Han rather than always in his corner.

• 5 months later...

I have owned this on BluRay for months and only just watched it last night after seeing people comment on it in the MCU thread.  I really enjoyed it more than I was lead to believe. It is disappointing to me that it is sure to die here and not get a sequel.

I didn’t see it in the theater and I think part of that was Star Wars fatigue.  Had this released at Christmas like the last three movies, I feel there would have been a bigger audience for it.

I kinda looked at this like GOT tv series. People who read the books before the show ever came out had the world built in their heads, what they looked like, sounded like, fav characters etc.. so when the show doesn't match it, and goes in different directions it's very off putting.  Most people who saw Solo knew the characters and how we believe they should be / act and when it's not what we want it makes it hard to really get into. I don't want any more prequel stuff. Take me into new places and new people so I can grow with them. To me the best of all the new ones was Rogue One and most of that was all new people with a fantastic appearance at the end.

I think like a lot of people who enjoyed this movie, it is only possible by trying to forget this has anything to do with Han Solo. If it was a simple story set in the SW universe then everyone would be pretty happy with it.

Its when it’s doing callbacks to the OT or knowing winks that you start to get irritated. Like the Lucas prequels, you don’t really want to see your heroes as teenagers being idiots, it’s not fun.

I enjoyed it. Cool sets, net designs, good cast, good action pieces, etc...

Overall though, Kylo Ren has it right regarding the future of Star Wars - let the past die! New characters, new places, new ideas. It's such a great, evocative world - I really hope the future series from Johnson, Favreau, etc... explore this. I'll never understand the obsessive need to revisit endlessly the same details and minor characters. I'd be delighted if 3Po and R2D2  were never seen on screen again for starters - just pandering throwbacks who were tired by the time RotJ came out. Same w/ a Boba Fett movie. 

Archived