‘The Name of The Rose’ TV Adaptation

AncalagonTheBlack

An international cast has been assembled for the upcoming series adaptation of “The Name of the Rose” . The 19-week shoot started in January, with studio scenes shot in the historic Cinecittà Studios in Rome.AMC Networks’ cable network as well as Sundance Now have joined the series, which will also air on Rai in Italy in 2019.

John Turturro and Rupert Everett have already been cast for the key roles, respectively, of William of Baskerville, the 14th-century Franciscan monk who investigates a series of grisly murders, and his antagonist, Inquisitor Bernard Gui. Rising young German actor Damien Hardung (“The Red Band Society”) had already been announced as playing Adso.

Sebastian Koch, star of Oscar-winning German film “The Lives of Others,” has now been confirmed, as have James Cosmo (“Game of Thrones”) and Richard Sammel (“Inglourious Basterds”).

The cast also includes  Michael Emerson (Lost, Person of Interest) , Fabrizio Bentivoglio (“Human Capital”), Greta Scarano (“Suburra”), Stefano Fresi (“I Can Quit Whenever I Want”), and Piotr Adamczyk (“Karol: A Man Who Became Pope”).

The screenplay was co-written by Andrea Porporati (Il dolce e l’amaro, La Piovra), Nigel Williams and Giacomo Battiato (L’infiltré, Karol: A Man Who Became Pope), who also directs the series.

IMDB has a cast list with characters they play (except for Sebastian Koch). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7572868/

If this is accurate and if they are at all faithful to the book, James Cosmo's role should be a major one, as he's listed playing Jorge.

Michael Emerson apparently plays the Abbot. The cast seems to include many Italian and German actors.

I've read the book a long time ago, so I can't remember who all of the characters are.
I wonder who "Anna" is - obviously it's an addition (possibly a flashback character? Someone from William's past maybe?), since the book takes place in an all male monastery and the only female character is a peasant girl from near by (here listed as "The Girl").

On 5/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, Annara Snow said:

IMDB has a cast list with characters they play (except for Sebastian Koch). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7572868/

If this is accurate and if they are at all faithful to the book, James Cosmo's role should be a major one, as he's listed playing Jorge.

Michael Emerson apparently plays the Abbot. The cast seems to include many Italian and German actors.

I've read the book a long time ago, so I can't remember who all of the characters are.
I wonder who "Anna" is - obviously it's an addition (possibly a flashback character? Someone from William's past maybe?), since the book takes place in an all male monastery and the only female character is a peasant girl from near by (here listed as "The Girl").

Re: Anna, i’d Imagine it’s either the contemporary author’s unnamed ‘beloved’ relevant to uncovering Adso’s work*, or it is another unnamed figure from William and Bernardo’s past encounters. 

*if they even include this aspect, which seems highly doubtful, though UE would approve. 

• 4 months later...

The series is in post-production.List of broadcasters so far:

BBC (UK)
Sundance TV (U.S. and Canada)
Sky Deutschland (Germanany)
OCS (France)
SBS (Australia)
Sky (New Zealand)
VRT (Belgium)
RTP (Portugal)
YLE (Finland)
NRK (Norway)
DR (Denmark)
RAI (Italy)
Ceska TV (Czech Republic)
ITI (Poland)

https://variety.com/2018/tv/global/mipcom-john-turturro-the-name-of-the-rose-uk-bbc-germany-sky-france-ocs-1202980107/

2 hours ago, The Lasr Storm said:

i was hoping this was about the Wars of the Roses :(

You've got The White Queen/The White Princess for that, and the latter part of The Hollow Crown if I understand correctly.

Name of the Rose on the other hand is a masterpiece of a book and a good adaptation could be quite something.

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You've got The White Queen/The White Princess for that, and the latter part of The Hollow Crown if I understand correctly.

Name of the Rose on the other hand is a masterpiece of a book and a good adaptation could be quite something.

ive watched them all many times.part 2 of THC deals with the wars, other stuff is Richard II and Henry V

On 10/22/2018 at 6:45 PM, polishgenius said:

Well, as long as you don't need any historical accuracy, Shakespeare's history plays and Shakespeare adaptations are good, and Philippa Gregory and adaptations of her novels are.... err.. bearable, I guess? Or not. The latter just about manages to be only slightly more accurate than Shakespeare, but that's like saying that something is less hot than the Sun - and the quality of writing is... better not commented on. Costuming, battle scenes etc. are also laughable. But at least there are some really good actors in those shows.

But I have no idea why we're even talking about this, since The Name of the Rose is a 1) famous literary work in its own right, 2) a great novel (unlike any of the P. Gregory stuff),  and 3) is set in an earlier part of the Middle Ages, in a different country, deals with different themes, and has nothing to do with the Wars of the Roses.

Yes, indeed:

The title of the book in its original language is Il nome della rosa; 

. . . .The book's last line, "Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" translates as: "the rose of old remains only in its name; we possess naked names."

. . .  a historical murder mystery set in an Italian monastery in the year 1327; an intellectual mystery combining semiotics in fiction, biblical analysis, medieval studies and literary theory. . . .

. . . sold over 50 million copies worldwide, becoming one of the best-selling books ever published.[1] It has received many international awards and accolades, such as the Strega Prize in 1981 and Prix Medicis Étrangère in 1982, and was ranked 14th on Le Monde's 100 Books of the Century list. . . .

But there is an amplitude of roses involved with the text and the tale"

Alternative reading of the novel's last line:

"Yesterday's rose stands only in name, we hold only empty names." This line is a verse by twelfth century monk Bernard of Cluny (also known as Bernard of Morlaix). Medieval manuscripts of this line are not in agreement: Eco quotes one Medieval variant verbatim,[13] but Eco was not aware at the time of the text more commonly printed in modern editions, in which the reference is to Rome (Roma), not to a rose (rosa).[14] The alternative text, with its context, runs: Nunc ubi Regulus aut ubi Romulus aut ubi Remus? / Stat Roma pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus. This translates as "Where now is Regulus, or Romulus, or Remus? / Primordial Rome abides only in its name; we hold only naked names."[15]

Also the title of the book may be related to a poem by the Mexican poet and mystic Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz (1651–1695):

Rosa que al prado, encarnada,
te ostentas presuntuosa
de grana y carmín bañada:
campa lozana y gustosa;
pero no, que siendo hermosa
también serás desdichada.

which appears in Eco's Postscript to the Name of the Rose, and is translated into English in "Note 1" of that book as:

Red rose growing in the meadow,
you vaunt yourself bravely
bathed in crimson and carmine:
a rich and fragrant show.
But no: Being fair,

A film has been made of the novel previously (1986), with a cast that included Sean Connery and Christian Slater.  Here's the trailer for that:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived