Ancalagon El Pistolero

‘The Name of The Rose’ TV Adaptation

An international cast has been assembled for the upcoming series adaptation of “The Name of the Rose” . The 19-week shoot started in January, with studio scenes shot in the historic Cinecittà Studios in Rome.AMC Networks’ cable network as well as Sundance Now have joined the series, which will also air on Rai in Italy in 2019.

John Turturro and Rupert Everett have already been cast for the key roles, respectively, of William of Baskerville, the 14th-century Franciscan monk who investigates a series of grisly murders, and his antagonist, Inquisitor Bernard Gui. Rising young German actor Damien Hardung (“The Red Band Society”) had already been announced as playing Adso.

Sebastian Koch, star of Oscar-winning German film “The Lives of Others,” has now been confirmed, as have James Cosmo (“Game of Thrones”) and Richard Sammel (“Inglourious Basterds”).

The cast also includes  Michael Emerson (Lost, Person of Interest) , Fabrizio Bentivoglio (“Human Capital”), Greta Scarano (“Suburra”), Stefano Fresi (“I Can Quit Whenever I Want”), and Piotr Adamczyk (“Karol: A Man Who Became Pope”).

The screenplay was co-written by Andrea Porporati (Il dolce e l’amaro, La Piovra), Nigel Williams and Giacomo Battiato (L’infiltré, Karol: A Man Who Became Pope), who also directs the series.

IMDB has a cast list with characters they play (except for Sebastian Koch). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7572868/

If this is accurate and if they are at all faithful to the book, James Cosmo's role should be a major one, as he's listed playing Jorge.

Michael Emerson apparently plays the Abbot. The cast seems to include many Italian and German actors.

I've read the book a long time ago, so I can't remember who all of the characters are.
I wonder who "Anna" is - obviously it's an addition (possibly a flashback character? Someone from William's past maybe?), since the book takes place in an all male monastery and the only female character is a peasant girl from near by (here listed as "The Girl").

Edited by Annara Snow

On 5/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, Annara Snow said:

IMDB has a cast list with characters they play (except for Sebastian Koch). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7572868/

If this is accurate and if they are at all faithful to the book, James Cosmo's role should be a major one, as he's listed playing Jorge.

Michael Emerson apparently plays the Abbot. The cast seems to include many Italian and German actors.

I've read the book a long time ago, so I can't remember who all of the characters are.
I wonder who "Anna" is - obviously it's an addition (possibly a flashback character? Someone from William's past maybe?), since the book takes place in an all male monastery and the only female character is a peasant girl from near by (here listed as "The Girl").

Re: Anna, i’d Imagine it’s either the contemporary author’s unnamed ‘beloved’ relevant to uncovering Adso’s work*, or it is another unnamed figure from William and Bernardo’s past encounters. 

*if they even include this aspect, which seems highly doubtful, though UE would approve. 

Edited by James Arryn

Looks like it's being produced for Sky, which makes me somewhat apprehensive. I'm definitely not going to buy a subscription just for this show.

Sounds pretty good.  I saw the Sean Connery movie adaptation a long time ago and it was decent enough.  A longer adaptation as a series would be interesting.