A few questions regarding Roose Bolton

Euron III Greyjoy

I'm re-reading A Dance with Dragons, or to be more specific re-listening to them, (The audiobooks are great by the way, I would really recommend them.) and I just have a few questions regarding Roose Bolton. I have a few ideas on the matter for myself, but I created this topic just in case I'm being a complete idiot and missing something obvious. 

1. In one of the Theon (Reek) chapters, Roose talks to Theon about how Ramsay will kill any children he has with Fat Walda, and then later states how when he dies he knows that Ramsay will have no chance at holding the North. If this is the case then what the fuck was the point in betraying Robb, and wanting to become Warden of the North in the first place? Whilst we don't know anything about his wants, I just presumed that he wanted to better the Bolton legacy by making his House Wardens of the North, but he shows little care about the prospect of his house dying out. Is his plan just to kill Ramsay at some point? But in that case why even bring up the whole "Oh Ramsay will probably kill any children I have" conversation in the first place if he has no reason to worry about it. Also surely he could have killed Ramsay already if he was going to. 

2. In another chapter Theon notices that Roose looks scared after Wyman Manderly throws a fit and starts laughing at and insulting Freys. Is this just a case of Roose realising that he is fucked? Going with my first point, I really don't see what Roose's plan was here. I mean really what was he expecting? The Northern Lords know or at the very least suspect that he was heavily involved in the Red Wedding, and most of them lost kin there. Did he really expect them to roll over and just accept him knowing this? Did he expect them to buy that "Robb turned into a wolf and killed everyone" bullshit that the Freys concocted? Due to him being such a mastermind I suspect that he has some kind of hidden plan we don't know of yet, but if that's the case then why did he look nervous?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, EloImFizzy said:

I'm re-reading A Dance with Dragons, or to be more specific re-listening to them, (The audiobooks are great by the way, I would really recommend them.) and I just have a few questions regarding Roose Bolton. I have a few ideas on the matter for myself, but I created this topic just in case I'm being a complete idiot and missing something obvious. 

1. In one of the Theon (Reek) chapters, Roose talks to Theon about how Ramsay will kill any children he has with Fat Walda, and then later states how when he dies he knows that Ramsay will have no chance at holding the North. If this is the case then what the fuck was the point in betraying Robb, and wanting to become Warden of the North in the first place? Whilst we don't know anything about his wants, I just presumed that he wanted to better the Bolton legacy by making his House Wardens of the North, but he shows little care about the prospect of his house dying out. Is his plan just to kill Ramsay at some point? But in that case why even bring up the whole "Oh Ramsay will probably kill any children I have" conversation in the first place if he has no reason to worry about it. Also surely he could have killed Ramsay already if he was going to. 

2. In another chapter Theon notices that Roose looks scared after Wyman Manderly throws a fit and starts laughing at and insulting Freys. Is this just a case of Roose realising that he is fucked? Going with my first point, I really don't see what Roose's plan was here. I mean really what was he expecting? The Northern Lords know or at the very least suspect that he was heavily involved in the Red Wedding, and most of them lost kin there. Did he really expect them to roll over and just accept him knowing this? Did he expect them to buy that "Robb turned into a wolf and killed everyone" bullshit that the Freys concocted? Due to him being such a mastermind I suspect that he has some kind of hidden plan we don't know of yet, but if that's the case then why did he look nervous?

I think he planned to have Tywin alive for a few more years, that plus Frey aliance and Ryswells, Karstarks and Dustin aid, would give him a solid ground to start the Bolton "reign" being able to opose or freeze his dissidents... With time he could build more and more of a grip... The Crown-Freys have hostages, he could get rid of the Karstark heir to get a new Karstark loyal bannerman.

His plans was messed by Stannis going north, Tywin dying and Manderly not beign so clement as they tought.

I think there was no room for Ramsay in all that, because he is a liability... So i think after he gets "Arya" pregnant he was suposed to be dealt with...

Archived