How is Edric Storm being looked after?

Canon Claude

He’s hiding out in Lys, supposedly, with a number of King’s Men who smuggled him away at the last moment. So how can they keep hiding out? They couldn’t have been carrying much wealth, since they came from Dragonstone, and all the houses they belong to either swore fealty to the Iron Throne, lost their lands, or were killed. Are they serving as sellswords? Bodyguards? And meanwhile what’s Edric doing? I just hope we get answers to this situation at some point.

10 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

He’s hiding out in Lys, supposedly, with a number of King’s Men who smuggled him away at the last moment. So how can they keep hiding out? They couldn’t have been carrying much wealth, since they came from Dragonstone, and all the houses they belong to either swore fealty to the Iron Throne, lost their lands, or were killed. Are they serving as sellswords? Bodyguards? And meanwhile what’s Edric doing? I just hope we get answers to this situation at some point.

You start a topic asking a question while acknowledging that we don't have any answers... I think Kandrax' post is as good as any, Lys had a lot of whores, Edric is in Lys, he is a young man full of hormones, probably fucking whores, maybe making babies, lets call them double-bastard-baratheons (DBBs for short), all hail King Barras of Lys rightful king of the Andal, First men and Roynar? 

He probably has a lot of bastard followers since his companions will also make some offspring on the Lysene whores and a second Golden Company is born... but who am I to say.

4 hours ago, Deepbollywood Motte said:

Lys had a lot of whores, Edric is in Lys, he is a young man full of hormones, probably fucking whores, maybe making babies

I'm sure this is a part of it, but we currently have the most amount of characters in Essos than in previous books, so I feel like we'll find out they are doing something. Not saying that it'll be important to the story at all, but I figure a bastard of a Westerosi king is important enough to come into play again. I agree with the OP, sellswords are most likely how they are keeping food on the table. 

Do we know who was sent with him to protect him?

I think that Omer Blackberry (he's one of those people, that went with Edric to Essos), and Salladhor Saan are working for Blackfyres and Varys. So the boy was taken away not for the sake of saving him, but for the sake of preventing Stannis and Melisandre from using him as a sacrifice. It's not that Varys cares whether Edric will live or die, he just worried, that by sacrificing Edric to R'hllor, Melisandre will be able to make Stannis King of 7K. So either they already killed Edric, or they themselves are planning to use him later. Because Varys knows that fire and blood magic is real.

6 hours ago, Megorova said:

I think that Omer Blackberry (he's one of those people, that went with Edric to Essos), and Salladhor Saan are working for Blackfyres and Varys. So the boy was taken away not for the sake of saving him, but for the sake of preventing Stannis and Melisandre from using him as a sacrifice. It's not that Varys cares whether Edric will live or die, he just worried, that by sacrificing Edric to R'hllor, Melisandre will be able to make Stannis King of 7K. So either they already killed Edric, or they themselves are planning to use him later. Because Varys knows that fire and blood magic is real.

Maybe, but Blackberry is one of only about five guards. If he wanted to kill or capture Edric he'd have to go through Lewys the Fishwife, Gerald Gower, Triston of Tally Hill and Andrew Estermont. All are knights and at least Gower fought at and survived Blackwater, and is noted to have fought well there. It's more than likely the others fought there as well, especially Estermont.

27 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Maybe, but Blackberry is one of only about five guards.

But the ship belongs to Salladhor Saan. There was a Saan in the Band of Nine, during Fifth Rebellion of Blackfyres. So Salla is probably descendant of that pirate king. So aside from Blackberry, there is also an entire crew of the ship, that are also working for Salla, and thus for Blackfyres.

Also those people could have brought Edric, and those of his guards, that are not in cohorts with Blackfyres, into controled by Illyrio environment. Edric could be manipulated in the same manner, as were Dany and Viserys. They were made to think, that sent by the Usurper assassins, are chasing them. Even though, as it was sort of revealed later, Robert never sent killers to get rid of Targaryen duo (until that wine-trader). Jon Connington, the moment he came to Essos, also fell into clutches of Blackfyres. I'm absolutely sure, that his encounter with Myles Toyne, and subsequent joining to Golden Company was planned by Varys.

So in similar manner, when Edric and Co arrived to Lys, they unknowingly fell under Varys'/Illyrio's control. 

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

The kid is a bastard and is not threat to anyone's claim.  I don't know that he's worth the security detail that he has.  Those men could have tossed his keister to the streets and used the money to party with the hookers.

Best answer by far! I Almost fell from the escalator!

On 5/26/2018 at 9:52 AM, Canon Claude said:

He’s hiding out in Lys, supposedly,

I never really understood why posters think Edric is at Lys. Is it something that is written in the appendix?

I’ve had a bit of tinfoil floundering around in my befuddled mind ever since Jon Con said he meant to take Storms End by guile.

A Dance with Dragons - The Griffin Reborn     "If Storm's End is so impregnable, how do you mean to take it?" asked Malo.  "By guile." /

Basic definition of guile is cunning intelligence.

What say Davos is correct in his remembrance that he sent the lad Edric and his keepers to the Stepstones, a pirate’s haven.

A Dance with Dragons - Davos II      Some nights he thought he had been left to rescue Edric Storm … but by now King Robert's bastard boy was safe in the Stepstones, yet Davos still remained. Do the gods have some other task for me? he wondered./

Cue, bring back Rickon Stark from wherever he is, per Manderly’s request. Yet when and if Davos returns with his prize Manderly will not be at White Harbor. Manderly will be at WF perhaps flapping around like a walrus.

Two things.

First, ----  did the Golden Company pass through the Stepstones on their travels?         I dunna remember.       It can be difficult to track down stuff considering the tale covers approximately 4,800 pages with multiple pov characters.

What say. Edric, the boy who likes to strut  & spout off about who his papa was, is now in the hands of the GC? Could JonCon have Edric in his grasp?

Second, -----  Aurane Waters, a bit of a sketchy sort of fellow, he is pardoned by the Lannister IT and ends up with the position of grand admiral. Aurane sails out of KL with his newly built ships. Rumor has it --- Aurane has set up shop at Stepstones.  If Davos is correct in his remembrance that Edric went to Stepstones could Aurane have use for the kid?

5 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I never really understood why posters think Edric is at Lys. Is it something that is written in the appendix?

I’ve had a bit of tinfoil floundering around in my befuddled mind ever since Jon Con said he meant to take Storms End by guile.

A Dance with Dragons - The Griffin Reborn     "If Storm's End is so impregnable, how do you mean to take it?" asked Malo.  "By guile." /

Basic definition of guile is cunning intelligence.

What say Davos is correct in his remembrance that he sent the lad Edric and his keepers to the Stepstones, a pirate’s haven.

A Dance with Dragons - Davos II      Some nights he thought he had been left to rescue Edric Storm … but by now King Robert's bastard boy was safe in the Stepstones, yet Davos still remained. Do the gods have some other task for me? he wondered./

Cue, bring back Rickon Stark from wherever he is, per Manderly’s request. Yet when and if Davos returns with his prize Manderly will not be at White Harbor. Manderly will be at WF perhaps flapping around like a walrus.

Two things.

First, ----  did the Golden Company pass through the Stepstones on their travels?         I dunna remember.       It can be difficult to track down stuff considering the tale covers approximately 4,800 pages with multiple pov characters.

What say. Edric, the boy who likes to strut  & spout off about who his papa was, is now in the hands of the GC? Could JonCon have Edric in his grasp?

Second, -----  Aurane Waters, a bit of a sketchy sort of fellow, he is pardoned by the Lannister IT and ends up with the position of grand admiral. Aurane sails out of KL with his newly built ships. Rumor has it --- Aurane has set up shop at Stepstones.  If Davos is correct in his remembrance that Edric went to Stepstones could Aurane have use for the kid?

Yes, Edric was listed in the appendix under House Baratheon as stated to be in Lys. 

There's a lot going on in the stepstones. Part of the Golden Company did get blown off course and land there. As you mentioned Aurrane's ships seem to be there as well. Davos also stated that Sallador Saan was taking his pirate fleet there in one of his internal dialogues. Not related, but Victarion resupplied his ships there as well. 

But I'm uncertain how Edric Storm would net the Golden Company Storm's End. Maybe if Courtnay Penrose was still castellan, but is garrisoned by Stannis loyalists now.  I think their solution is going to be much more simple. Rather than some elaborate ruse, they'll just be the Golden Company, a sellsword company, breaking the Tyrell siege. They then declare to the garrison that King Stannis hired them and the gates open quickly, I expect.

On 5/27/2018 at 2:23 PM, Megorova said:

But the ship belongs to Salladhor Saan. There was a Saan in the Band of Nine, during Fifth Rebellion of Blackfyres. So Salla is probably descendant of that pirate king. So aside from Blackberry, there is also an entire crew of the ship, that are also working for Salla, and thus for Blackfyres.

Also those people could have brought Edric, and those of his guards, that are not in cohorts with Blackfyres, into controled by Illyrio environment. Edric could be manipulated in the same manner, as were Dany and Viserys. They were made to think, that sent by the Usurper assassins, are chasing them. Even though, as it was sort of revealed later, Robert never sent killers to get rid of Targaryen duo (until that wine-trader). Jon Connington, the moment he came to Essos, also fell into clutches of Blackfyres. I'm absolutely sure, that his encounter with Myles Toyne, and subsequent joining to Golden Company was planned by Varys.

So in similar manner, when Edric and Co arrived to Lys, they unknowingly fell under Varys'/Illyrio's control. 

Edric and Co. have nothing to offer the cheese monger and the eunuch.  I don't see the motivation to go through that kind of effort to manipulate him.

18 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Yes, Edric was listed in the appendix under House Baratheon as stated to be in Lys. 

Thanks for that!

I have to wonder which is correct --- the appendix or Davos’ DwD remembrance.

I guess Edric is another cute little misdirection and another one of those Eddard’s baby momma drama’s martin threw into the story that goes nowhere.

:cheers:

19 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I have to wonder which is correct --- the appendix or Davos’ DwD remembrance.

I had the impression that Davos' thought meant that he figured Edric & Co. would have gotten as far as the Stepstones on their journey to Lys by then. :)

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Edric and Co. have nothing to offer the cheese monger and the eunuch.  I don't see the motivation to go through that kind of effort to manipulate him.

Varys knows, that blood and fire magic is real. He knows, that dragonseed's blood does have power. Edric has 12,5% of dragon blood, thru his great grandmother Rhaelle Targaryen. Melisandre was going to sacrifice Edric to achieve Stannis' goals. So by stealing Edric from Dragonstone, Varys/Illyrio simultaneously prevented Melisandre from making that sacrifice, and also now they can give Edric's blood or his life to R'hllor, and get from that what they want. But even if they themselves don't intend to use him as a sacrifice, preventing Melisandre from doing that, is still beneficial for them.

Archived