Season 7 Mel and Varys

One-eyed Misbehavin

“I’ve done my part. I’ve brought ice and fire together. . . . My time whispering in the ears of kings has come to an end. . . . Neither of us is common folk anymore. . . . Oh, I will return dear Spider. One last time. I have to die in this strange country, just like you.”

At dragonstone Varys is told this by Mel. I have to say Varys didn’t seem thrilled with the notion 1 bit. But I’m simply asking why? I can certainly see Mel dying via final act of life (sacrifice) but Varys? He will certainly not stick his neck out one bit, he’s in a relatively safe position all things considered as Dany’s advisor. Unless he betrays Dany or maybe Tyrion it’s just odd to think the show version would ever be in such a vulnerable position. Has to be betrayal right?

Yeah this was a super weird scene... it played as if Varys never once considered he would die at any point (valar morghulis) because why would he be disturbed about the idea of dying in Westeros, which he referred to as "our country" in S5 in an impassioned speech to Tyrion.  Perhaps he was just disgusted by Mel's witchery and divining the future as Varys hates magic/zealots.  It seems like we will need to hear whatever the voice called out to Varys when he was cut (probably not in the books, just a show only thing) and it may have to do with him sacrificing himself to save the Boatsex Baby the way he could not save Rhaenys and Aegon.  As for Mel, I imagine it being something where she self-immolates as a way to create a fire shield to keep the white walkers from passing and give Jon and company some needed time to make an escape from a dire situation.

17 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Varys's reaction would make sense only, if he planned to leave Westeros forever. Without any specific time given for his death, his reaction makes no sense.

He could be extremely wary of a prophecy told to him by a fire witch due to his past with fire magic.

But saying he will die in this strange country could very well mean when he’s 90 and just so happens to die in westoros, so I see your point.

Archived