Renly agree to support stannis

History

Renly wouldn't have the Reach with him. The Tyrells join Renly because he promised them a Tyrell queen and making Mace Hand of the King. Not to mention Stannis is married with the Florrents, having a second tier house married to the king while you as the House Paramount have a bad relationship with the crown isn't a great seat to be in.

It might drive the Tyrells into the arms of the Lannister earlier or get them to try and team up with Robb.

1 hour ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Renly wouldn't have the Reach with him. The Tyrells join Renly because he promised them a Tyrell queen and making Mace Hand of the King. Not to mention Stannis is married with the Florrents, having a second tier house married to the king while you as the House Paramount have a bad relationship with the crown isn't a great seat to be in.

It might drive the Tyrells into the arms of the Lannister earlier or get them to try and team up with Robb.

This

Also dont forget stannis in laws! The tyrells cannot sti back and allow a family that claims their overlordship of the reach to take the throne

6 minutes ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

Also dont forget stannis in laws! The tyrells cannot sti back and allow a family that claims their overlordship of the reach to take the throne

Oh yes, letting Selyse Florent is just begging for trouble from the Tyrells point-of-view. 

Not to mention Renly's and Stannis' relationship is really bad so I don't see him backing his big bro in any reasonably alternate timeline.

3 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

I don't know, I could see the Tyrells going along with Renly and Stannis, with a plot to kill Stannis like they did Joffrey, then crown Renly. Whether it would work given Mellisandre's presence I don't know.

3 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

The Tyrells join Renly because he promised them a Tyrell queen and making Mace Hand of the King

They could still promise Shireen's hand to Willas and aggree to give Mace position of Hand.

Ps: I can't remember that Renly offered Mace Handship

1 hour ago, Kandrax said:

They could still promise Shireen's hand to Willas

Not really making in easy on the next generation with that match. It isn't right but I suspect most westerosi would find the idea of a crippled king and a queen with a face ravaged by Greyscale pretty "unappealing".

1 hour ago, GallowsKnight said:

I don't know, I could see the Tyrells going along with Renly and Stannis, with a plot to kill Stannis like they did Joffrey, then crown Renly.

Maybe, more so if they could pin it on the Lannisters or some other groupe. Still it could go wrong in a lot of ways.

17 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

There's also the issue of religion. The church's seat of power is in the Reach, and their influence over the politics in that's region is hard to overstate. A king that worships a foreign demon god is unacceptable.

5 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

There's also the issue of religion. The church's seat of power is in the Reach, and their influence over the politics in that's region is hard to overstate. A king that worships a foreign demon god is unacceptable.

Might be a argument for the Tyrells joining with the Lannisters TBH. Sure Robb might be been raised in the light of the seven, but he still grew up in the heathen North. Backing him might cause problems for the Tyrells.

Although I believe they would prefer Robb to Stannis as the Faith of the Old Gods doesn't seem to evangelize the same way followers of the Red God does.

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

Loras would never fight against Renly, nor would Mace ever ask him too.

I having a hard time seeing Mace (and much more so Olenna) trading a Tyrell queen and blocking Florrent plotting for Loras not getting his feelings hurt.

33 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

I having a hard time seeing Mace (and much more so Olenna) trading a Tyrell queen and blocking Florrent plotting for Loras not getting his feelings hurt.

Loras' is the baby, feelings matter. It's also about honor, he's the shining white knight, how could he not support the man who knighted him? 

Margery was never gonna be queen until Renly became king. Olenna also never wanted to be part of the royal family.

The Tyrells would hate bending their knee to a Florant, but it's not that much different then a Tully bending the knee to a Frey, as Cat Edmure and Hoster were prepared to do (if Robb followed suit)

15 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Might be a argument for the Tyrells joining with the Lannisters TBH. Sure Robb might be been raised in the light of the seven, but he still grew up in the heathen North. Backing him might cause problems for the Tyrells.

Although I believe they would prefer Robb to Stannis as the Faith of the Old Gods doesn't seem to evangelize the same way followers of the Red God does.

The Faith of the Seven is nothing if not practical. Their quick proclamation of Aegon I despite the many issues surrounding his conversion is evidence of that. Robb Stark is a relative paragon of Andalization, so I don't doubt they'd they'd have any qualms about it.

Renly marrying Margaery as Stannis' heir and future king might convince the Tyrells to go along with it. Renly heavily influenced Loras who heavily influenced Mace. Extra insurance could be guaranteed by marrying Shireen to Willas or Garlan. The problems of course would be the Tyrells grudge against the Florents and Stannis' grudge against the Tyrells.

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Renly marrying Margaery as Stannis' heir and future king might convince the Tyrells to go along with it. Renly heavily influenced Loras who heavily influenced Mace.

If brothers goes before daughters in succession then sure .

Extra insurance could be guaranteed by marrying Shireen to Willas or Garlan.

Considering that the Tyrell know about Renly's inclination that seems like a must. 

The problems of course would be the Tyrells grudge against the Florents and Stannis' grudge against the Tyrells.

Oh yes.

----------

13 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Loras' is the baby, feelings matter. It's also about honor, he's the shining white knight, how could he not support the man who knighted him? 

In a world were success seems to demand coldheartedness and realpolitik I have a hard time seeing why Loras' feels would get any special treatment.

Archived