Privileged Frey "Branches

Corvo the Crow

To clarify,  I am thinking of each wife(either of Walder or a son) wifr and her children as one branch.

Some branches,  are more priviliged than others;

Rosby Branch: Walder sent off Perwyn and Olyvar with Robb and married Roslin to Edmure

Mariya Darry's Branch: Fat Walda got to marry Roose and Gatehouse Ami has become lady of Darry over Jeyne Darry and her sons. Little Walder is also taken as a ward by Robb. 

Why are these two branches are given such privileges over others and are there any other branches like these?

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

To clarify,  I am thinking of each wife(either of Walder or a son) wifr and her children as one branch.

i'm not really sure that is true

Rosby Branch: Walder sent off Perwyn and Olyvar with Robb

as well as Stevron, who in charge of the Freys, Black Walder, Martyn Rivers (who replaced the Blackfish as the leader of the Riverlands outriders when he went West) and likely others. 

I'm not sure how this is evidence of favoritism though. Aenys and Hosteen lead the Frey contingent with Roose and that is a higher ranking position than Perwyn's within Robb's host. 

Olyvar is a son of Walder, not yet a knight and the right age to go to war. It makes sense why he was picked over younger siblings or nephews of the same age.  Two of his younger nephews from different branches were sent to Winterfell as wards, so it is hard to call it a case of Walder favoring one branch over another.

Olyvar was born in 281, in actual fact a lot of his younger nephews are already squires in prestigious positions. 

and married Roslin to Edmure

Is this really favoritism? Edmure has been stripped of his lands and faces an uncertain future as a guest of the Crown or the Lannisters. 

Mariya Darry's Branch: Fat Walda got to marry Roose

Roose's decision, not Walder's. 

and Gatehouse Ami has become lady of Darry over Jeyne Darry and her sons.

That was Kevan Lannister's choice, not Walder's. Besides, Jeyne Darry, who is stand to inherit Riverrun, the grander prize.  Besides Ami has the stronger claim on the Darry lands, her mother is Jeyne's older sister. 

Little Walder is also taken as a ward by Robb. 

As was Big Walder, from the Blackwood/Paege branch. 

Why are these two branches are given such privileges over others and are there any other branches like these?

I think you are looking too much into it. 

Stevron's branch, being the heirs of the title, are the ones with true seniority but after that it is down to a mixture of age, experience and value in determining importance. 

15 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

I think you are looking too much into it. 

Stevron's branch, being the heirs of the title, are the ones with true seniority but after that it is down to a mixture of age, experience and value in determining importance.  

Stevron, Emmon and Aenys are all from his first wife so they would all be the main branch but you are possibly right.

I don't think the situation involves granting privileges to one branch or another. I think each branch or set of descendants is part of a larger strategy by Walder Frey to create an alliance with the major houses (and many lesser houses) of Westeros. I wrote about a possible strategy in a recent thread. A highlight from the longer comment:

I suspect that each of Aegon IV's mistresses and each of Walder Frey's wives represents a deliberate decision to produce a batch of children with given characteristics. Or perhaps each is a way to ally with the potential future king or warden, ensuring that Freys will come out on the winning side no matter what. We see a similar widespread production of children with varying characteristics in Oberyn Martell.

And from a comment later in the same thread:

The three Freys in the pie are Rhaegar (a grandson, by Aenys Frey, from the Royce marriage), Jared (a son, from the Swann marriage) and Symond (a son from the Crakehall marriage). Crakehalls and Swanns are associated with the kingsguard. Rhaegar is the name of a guy who died before he could become king. This may be a clue that Walder Frey's real ambition was the Iron Throne (or some throne) but Manderly is now putting a stick in the spokes of this plan.

The Frey pie and the Manderly / Stoneheart parallel helps to make sense of Catelyn's murder of Aegon / Jinglebell as her dying gesture: Aegon represents Lord Walder himself. It makes sense that this harmless, foolish exterior hides a "king" underneath.

Here's the full post and link to the other thread:

32 minutes ago, Seams said:

I don't think the situation involves granting privileges to one branch or another. I think each branch or set of descendants is part of a larger strategy by Walder Frey to create an alliance with the major houses (and many lesser houses) of Westeros. I wrote about a possible strategy in a recent thread. A highlight from the longer comment:

I suspect that each of Aegon IV's mistresses and each of Walder Frey's wives represents a deliberate decision to produce a batch of children with given characteristics. Or perhaps each is a way to ally with the potential future king or warden, ensuring that Freys will come out on the winning side no matter what. We see a similar widespread production of children with varying characteristics in Oberyn Martell.

And from a comment later in the same thread:

The three Freys in the pie are Rhaegar (a grandson, by Aenys Frey, from the Royce marriage), Jared (a son, from the Swann marriage) and Symond (a son from the Crakehall marriage). Crakehalls and Swanns are associated with the kingsguard. Rhaegar is the name of a guy who died before he could become king. This may be a clue that Walder Frey's real ambition was the Iron Throne (or some throne) but Manderly is now putting a stick in the spokes of this plan.

The Frey pie and the Manderly / Stoneheart parallel helps to make sense of Catelyn's murder of Aegon / Jinglebell as her dying gesture: Aegon represents Lord Walder himself. It makes sense that this harmless, foolish exterior hides a "king" underneath.

Here's the full post and link to the other thread:

Do you think that the Frey's have Blackfyre ancestry?

On 5/27/2018 at 6:12 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Rosby Branch: Walder sent off Perwyn and Olyvar with Robb and married Roslin to Edmure

Mariya Darry's Branch: Fat Walda got to marry Roose and Gatehouse Ami has become lady of Darry over Jeyne Darry and her sons. Little Walder is also taken as a ward by Robb. 

Branches of Frey are very distinct, though I think differences came from different abilities inherited from mothers (Walder's wives) and from support of houses of Walder's wives.

I think most prominent branches are descendants of Royce (heirs to the Twins, Black Walder, Emmon Frey), Crakenhall  (Hosteen, Little Walder, Fat Walda, Amerei)  and Blackwood (Big Walder, Lothar).

Emmon  is only Frey who married above his status.  Some of descendant of first Walder's wife (Royce) have Targaryen names - Walder's children Aenys and  Maegelle, grandsons - Aegon Jinglebell,  Aegon Bloodborn and Rhaegar. I am not sure if they were named  due to Walder's ambitions or to the ones of his Royce wife.

7 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Do you think that the Frey's have Blackfyre ancestry?

Walder's father was described to be elegant looking in contrast to his son. So he is maybe descendant of Aemon Blackfyre via some bastard.

5 hours ago, Pukisbaisals said:

Maegelle

She is granddaughter 

33 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Walder's father was described to be elegant looking in contrast to his son. So he is maybe descendant of Aemon Blackfyre via some bastard.

Well that is likely because the only times we have seen Walder Frey, both past and present, is when he in diapers. He may well have looked more elegant when he was in his prime. 

I don't buy the idea that the Frey's are some offshoot of the Blackfyres. Daemon was born in 270, Walder himself was born in 208 but he has three sisters, the one who was getting married and two others who are present at the Tourney with their own husbands. 

There is simply not enough logical time for Walder's father to be a child of one of Daemon's bastards. 

Walder is a typical Westerosi nobleman.  Better in some ways but typical.  He supports his children but he sorts the bastards from the trueborns like any lord would do.  He would not put forth a bastard girl to pair with Robb and Edmure.  His political interests carry more than favoritism.

Archived