How do you like your tea? Or coffee? Almond milk or soy, sir? Two sugars, ma'am?

Yukle

This is one that I have often wondered. I feel legitimately surprised when I find out people's hot drink habits (or lack thereof). I'm pretty sure I read too much into it.

For tea I prefer black tea with milk (orange pekoe preferred). But I also like English and Irish breakfast as well. Sometimes green tea, if I'm at a restaurant where it suits the food. But I'm notoriously picky about preparation. I use loose leaf whenever I can and I roll my eyes when a restaurant gives me a tea bag (would you give someone instant coffee for $4?!). Tea bags I try to avoid using because of the extra material cost of them, but I still do sometimes. Which is why I also use a Keep Cup when I go to cafes, no matter the drink. Or, if I'm having it there, I obviously use one of their cups.

Mostly though, with tea, it just has to be prepared correctly. Milk goes in the cup first, if I'm having any. And I let it brew in the pot before drinking. If it goes cold, I fill up from the pot and then add hot water to my cup and not the pot.

I don't really drink coffee much. If it's all that's on offer then I usually have a mocha or just go without.

What about you? Can I take your order?

I like coffee with either a small splash of cream or milk, no sugar.  

I prefer pour-over style coffee, I used to prefer the French press but I guess tastes change.  

And no I don't buy it on the go -- I have a thermos!

Not big on tea, sometimes I'll make a lot of mate instead of coffee to mix it up a bit.  In which case no cream or sweetener.  

I like my tea with a splash of honey. I avoid tea bags and go with loose leaf. No particular preference on black vs green tea, but the prep is important. Don't want the water so hot it burns the leaves, but if it's not hot enough the tea cools down to fast for me to enjoy it. Right temperature is blend dependent which has made me want a kettle with a thermostat built in.

I drink instant coffee, strong and black.  Don't drink hot tea much but enjoy iced tea straight, no sugar, tho sometimes a little bit of lemon juice.  Unsweetened iced tea has a dried grassy taste that I like. 

27 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

I like my tea with a splash of honey. I avoid tea bags and go with loose leaf. No particular preference on black vs green tea, bit the prep is important. Don't want the water so hot it burns the leaves, but if it's not hot enough the tea cools down to fast for me to enjoy it. Right temperature is blend dependent which has made me want a kettle with a thermostat built in.

Interesting. Is boiling too hot for you? I have to have it boiling.

4 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Interesting. Is boiling too hot for you? I have to have it boiling.

Yeah boiling is too hot. In my experience water just after it reaches boiling burns the leaves and leaves you with bitter tea. Currently I let my kettle boil then leave it for a few minutes to cool before using it. Black teas can be made with water closer to boiling, but greens should be a little cooler.

25 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Seattle's Best Coffee, black. I drink 2 cups at home, then carry off the rest of the pot in 2 sealed metal cups.

I knew I liked you for some reason, black is the only way to drink coffee.

Seattles Best is the correct coffee.

I can drink iced Tea or Sun Tea from the bags, most often its Iced Tea via the pitcher. I usually drink about 1 and half gallons a week, im sipping on a glass morning and night. I would never dream of adding anything to it though, strictly straight for me with the tea, but I can have coffee black or with a small amount of cream.

I can usually handle forgetting about any grocery item, but I will go into panic mode if I forget the tea.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I can drink iced Tea or Sun Tea from the bags, most often its Iced Tea via the pitcher. I usually drink about 1 and half gallons a week, im sipping on a glass morning and night.

I can have ice tea in summer. I like it then. :) In winter it doesn't feel as refreshing.

I've had to do the maths in my head from archaic into metric system; 1 and a half gallons is about six inches, or nineteen rods, isn't it? Which must make it about 6 litres.

^^^ I came up with about 5.7 litres so yeah I probably drink close to 6 litres or more weekly.

As for hot tea, the only time I partake is when its served with the meal like at a lot of Pho or Asian restaurants ive been to.

8 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I like coffee with either a small splash of cream or milk, no sugar.  

I prefer pour-over style coffee, I used to prefer the French press but I guess tastes change.  

And no I don't buy it on the go -- I have a thermos!

Not big on tea, sometimes I'll make a lot of mate instead of coffee to mix it up a bit.  In which case no cream or sweetener.  

Larry knows how to make coffee.   "POUR OVER" Means a holder for a filter that sits on your (my) cup.  That filter should contain 3/4 cup of very fine ground, dark roast coffe.  1 cup of hot, but not boiling, water should be poured through the grounds.  SLOWLY.  Add a dash of cream if you must.  Sugar is an abomination to coffee.

Tea is for bedtime.  I'm fine with whatever as long as it isn't fragrant hot water.  No cream EVER.  NO SUGAR.  Optional lemon.

I drink my coffee as I taught myself from start, black. No sugar, thank you, if it can be avoided, and milk only if it's already in when bought ready from shop. And no temperature control. Living in EU means that when my last coffee machine broke, new one I bought had built in going-off timer. As someone who keeps forgetting I have coffee to get (...speaking of which...) that means I'm happy if I get it still hot at home.

7 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

I like my tea with a splash of honey.

In the rare instance I have tea, honey is my choice too.

9 hours ago, Yukle said:

Mostly though, with tea, it just has to be prepared correctly. Milk goes in the cup first, if I'm having any. And I let it brew in the pot before drinking. If it goes cold, I fill up from the pot and then add hot water to my cup and not the pot.

:eek: 

9 hours ago, Yukle said:

This is one that I have often wondered. I feel legitimately surprised when I find out people's hot drink habits (or lack thereof). I'm pretty sure I read too much into it.

For tea I prefer black tea with milk (orange pekoe preferred). But I also like English and Irish breakfast as well. Sometimes green tea, if I'm at a restaurant where it suits the food. But I'm notoriously picky about preparation. I use loose leaf whenever I can and I roll my eyes when a restaurant gives me a tea bag (would you give someone instant coffee for $4?!). Tea bags I try to avoid using because of the extra material cost of them, but I still do sometimes. Which is why I also use a Keep Cup when I go to cafes, no matter the drink. Or, if I'm having it there, I obviously use one of their cups.

I don't really drink coffee much. If it's all that's on offer then I usually have a mocha or just go without.

What about you? Can I take your order?

<_< This is why you guys still need the monarchy. 

I drink, I guess what you call "black tea"? We just call it tea. With a drop of milk. Just a drop. Not too much. And no sugar. Nice and strong, mash the teabag a bit with the spoon. 

I don't drink coffee, and find the continual opening of coffee shops, coupled with closing of pubs, very irritating. 

Oh and I drink green tea in Asian restaurants because it's often free.

In this heat, iced!

We Brits tend to brew black tea as bitter as possible and then add milk to soften the bitterness. The vast majority on this island would have it no other way and view any other way as some form of monstrous evil. As I am not fond of milk I tend towards the rebellious few that sees the sense in brewing with water off the boil to avoid the bitterness that the milk is basically used to offset.

Good quality tea leaves are a must!

Nothing beats a well made cup of silver needle white tea, especially in summer. Expensive though.

Also, pu-erh is wonderful as an after-meal drink on a chilly December evening, just before moving on to the single malt scotch (as you do).

Archived