What ending of Game of Thrones do you absolutely not want to see?

Feologild

On 6/11/2018 at 3:08 PM, btfu806 said:

I also think that a part of this story will be the end of patriarchy and the beginning/continuing of matriarchy. I personally think GRRM likes that theme and D&D love that theme. I am fine with it, my worry is that it will be very PC/SJWfriendly/#metoo or whatever else, that relates to today. I just want it to make sense for the story and not be too much related to feminism today. If that at all makes sense....

Here's what's going to happen, according to anonymous sources. Euron returns to Cersei with the Golden Company, who are actually professional protestors from Essos, and they're dispatched to march North shouting "Hey Hey, Ho Ho, Daenerys has got to go!".  Meanwhile, Theon finds Yara in a Black Cell making out with the sand snake who isn't dead yet because she spent 11 years building an immunity to the poison. Yara however isn't immune, and with her dying breath, she tells Theon that Cersei must be stopped. He sneaks into the Red Keep disguised as Cersei's handmaiden, Kills Euron and strangles Cersei. Deciding that he liked the dress, He now self-identifies as Theona and declares herself Queen, thus fulfilling Maggy the Frog's Prophecy. 

Meanwhile, Jaime and Brienne are sent on a mission to find the Blackfish, because Blackfish lives matter. Jon secretly meets with the Night King who reveals why he must march past the border by showing Jon a copy of An Inconvenient Truth. Now utterly convinced that Dany is the true enemy because she is causing global warming, Jon agrees to help the Night King and says he never liked walls anyway. Dany, angered by Jon's collusion with the Night King, proceeds to burn all characters that had unresolved story arcs, but is defeated by Jon and the Night King's combined forces. Thus with all social justice issues in Westeros resolved, Jon rides north on a unicorn. The Night King's army overruns Westeros.

In the end, no one survives the carnage except for Ellaria and Tyene Martell, because they never had a story arc to begin with. They rule a kingdom of snowflakes as lesbian lovers.

I'd like for the show to end as I think the books will end so I don't want:

1. Jon and Dany to live and becoming King and Queen of Westeros and live happily ever after. I'm pretty sure they will both die in the books. At least Dany for sure, but it won't be in childbirth. God that's just fucking awful.

2. Either Cersei or Jaime to survive.

3. Sansa or Arya dying.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:16 AM, Morgana Lannister said:

As for book readers that think that the books will end up dramatically differently and look down on the show, I's say, yes the books would add complexity and some minor or middle of the road characters may not have the same Fate in both media, but the end has been said time and time again it will be pretty close.  Now if HBO decided to do a good -v- evil battle to simplify matters re Night King etc, yes they could do it and the ending could be roughly the same in terms of facts (i.e. who is alive and who isn't) but to me that simplification would take too much from the main theme.  Now, I do expect something pretty huge in terms of Night King revelation, although I think the show has already pointed there...

I absolutely agree. How can people think the general ending of the show will be different from the one in the books is beyond me. Unless they think Martin would rewrite it and change it from the ending he had during Season 1, but frankly that sounds like a terrible ideia (yet it might be true with the time he's taking to write winds lol)

21 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

I absolutely agree. How can people think the general ending of the show will be different from the one in the books is beyond me. Unless they think Martin would rewrite it and change it from the ending he had during Season 1, but frankly that sounds like a terrible ideia (yet it might be true with the time he's taking to write winds lol)

I think he is totally capable of changing the ending, but since I also think he will never get to the end, it's largely irrelevant, I expect the show end is the only end that will exist in reality.

36 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think he is totally capable of changing the ending, but since I also think he will never get to the end, it's largely irrelevant, I expect the show end is the only end that will exist in reality.

He is capable of it, but doing it just to be different than the show? I don't know. I think that would imply sacrificing some of what he's already written, and it isn't the show's fault they're on their final season already. But anyway I'm still on the fence about whether the next books will be published - by Martin at least - but I honestly don't care if they aren't either. I agree with you that the show's ending will probably be the only definite one. I mean there's not only the strong likelihood of we never having the next books, but also that their ending will be just as a mess as the show's, so.

And I don't know whether to tip my hat to, or feel sorry for, book stans who refuse to know anything about the show for fear of spoilers. That's some commitment right there. Very naive one but nonetheless....

8 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

He is capable of it, but doing it just to be different than the show? I don't know. I think that would imply sacrificing some of what he's already written, and it isn't the show's fault they're on their final season already. But anyway I'm still on the fence about whether the next books will be published - by Martin at least - but I honestly don't care if they aren't either. I agree with you that the show's ending will probably be the only definite one. I mean there's not only the strong likelihood of we never having the next books, but also that their ending will be just as a mess as the show's, so.

And I don't know whether to tip my hat to, or feel sorry for, book stans who refuse to know anything about the show for fear of spoilers. That's some commitment right there. Very naive one but nonetheless....

He might or he might not, he already said he's put in a big twist for a character that the show killed...that seems like he's doing it in response to the show, like 'hey, you shouldn't have killed X, and I will write it to show why'...to me this is bad, the author being influenced by the show like that.  But, again, I don't think we will ever know what ending he has/had/will have/would have done, because at this point, I feel we will be very lucky to get Winds of Winter in the next 2+ years.  From what I have seen and read about Winds, it doesn't seem like it's going to advance the plot too much, so I again would speculate that once Winds comes out, it will be more clear he needs 2 more books not just one, and I cannot see that happening now, I simply can't see him return to a level of motivation/results in terms of writing speed that he has not had for almost 20 years.

As far as the ending, I don't want to see any more Starks die, or wolves, that's about it.  I will live with the rest, I could even live with the secret prince and homeless princess hooking up to rule and restarting the Targ dynasty, but I still doubt this happens.  

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

He might or he might not, he already said he's put in a big twist for a character that the show killed...that seems like he's doing it in response to the show, like 'hey, you shouldn't have killed X, and I will write it to show why'...to me this is bad, the author being influenced by the show like that.  But, again, I don't think we will ever know what ending he has/had/will have/would have done, because at this point, I feel we will be very lucky to get Winds of Winter in the next 2+ years.  From what I have seen and read about Winds, it doesn't seem like it's going to advance the plot too much, so I again would speculate that once Winds comes out, it will be more clear he needs 2 more books not just one, and I cannot see that happening now, I simply can't see him return to a level of motivation/results in terms of writing speed that he has not had for almost 20 years.

As far as the ending, I don't want to see any more Starks die, or wolves, that's about it.  I will live with the rest, I could even live with the secret prince and homeless princess hooking up to rule and restarting the Targ dynasty, but I still doubt this happens.  

Yeah I agree.

8 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Martin has already said things like he won't change his plot just because some fans have guess it (I personally think that refers to Jon's parentage...) so I think it highly unlikely that he would do that.  I fear, however, that although I have hated some of the numerous characters sprouting out of seemingly nowhere in the books have taken so much of the book space, probably to be red herrings (Aegon is my vane on that one) but this is just an opinion, the show may simplify the ending with the Others too much... but we shall see...

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

As for the twist, my two cents aided by my malfuncitioning crystal ball is that, the show killed off a character he hadn't said to D&D much for or against his/her survival, so off they went and killed said character and as George was writing a twist came to him and "just had to include it" not to piss the show runners off or the readers or anyone.  It is his creation he can do what he likes.  Yet, will be this character with the twist be alive at the end of Martin's books (if we get them).  If he didn't warn the show people well in advance of his/her survival, probably of amusing but little overall plot consequence either way.

I can sympathise with writers' block although I am just an ordinary person who from time to time dable in a little bit of that but George is super ambitious with his super large cast.  I have to say, I wouldn't be here if I didn't think him a genius but I personally believe that part of his "writer's block" is due to having had a cast that would have suffice (and more populous than most) but his imagination took him further and further, and more main characters (many introduced late) who needed friends and foes and servants and on and on it went and now it must feel to him like a jungle that cannot be tamed, or not easily...

Although I like some of his new plots and characters, some feel repetitive to me and on a smaller scale.  Say Quentin, we had Tyrion and Sam for the desire to please father, okay Quentin is not a dwarf or fat, more middle of the road, but we take the point.  To me no need to re-invent the wheel with a character like them 2 but a bit less "is ugly the word?"  Needless to say that Quentin needed mates and sidekicks, so the cast expands and expands.

I get that more than 1000 live in Planetos but must we have a whole biography and lineage of all of them???  

I guess this is my main criticism to the books in general.  Never felt it in the first few, and I am now re-reading but I felt the last one was like almost a different world. Yes, there were chapters on my main and favs and the people I love or love to hate, and some important plot additions at times, but I truly got lost with the overwhelming number of new commers and my heart, unless they touched a special fibre, did not truly (sorry) have the time for them I would have given them mayhaps in a separate story.

I think once George knows how to compress and stops expanding at this rate, we may get the books.

On 6/23/2018 at 12:12 PM, Ser Gareth said:

Anything to do with time loops or time travel.  I truly hope the Hodor incident was very much a one off.

I know there is a story about how GRRM gave D&D this spoiler to put into the show. But this, and the Shireen one, I just don't see GRRM putting it in the books. Shireen I guess he could make it happen with enough writing and a more logical path than what the show did, but time traveling with Hodor, I don't see it. You wouldn't be able to explain the time paradox. And knowing what we know of GRRM he would try to explain it.

On 6/30/2018 at 5:01 PM, Vhagar's Ghost said:

I just don't want Dany to die in childbirth. Would be an insult to her character. She fights her way to the top and just... dies giving birth to a human maggot. She can die but just please, not like that.

Would be an interesting bookend, considering how she was born.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, btfu806 said:

I know there is a story about how GRRM gave D&D this spoiler to put into the show. But this, and the Shireen one, I just don't see GRRM putting it in the books. Shireen I guess he could make it happen with enough writing and a more logical path than what the show did, but time traveling with Hodor, I don't see it. You wouldn't be able to explain the time paradox. And knowing what we know of GRRM he would try to explain it.

I think it is wishful thinking on your part.  Hodor equating to "Hold the Door" has been confirmed by GRRM.  So the fact that Hodor only says that means this happened in his past.

It is all being set up for Bran to be the most powerful seer of all time.  The theory of him actually being several of the legendary Brans makes my eyes roll.  I sincerely hope it turns out to be false.

As for Shireen, I think it would have happened differently in the books but she would have still be burned.  But I think it would have been more complex and less rushed.  Shame we'll probably never find out.

11 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

I think it is wishful thinking on your part.  Hodor equating to "Hold the Door" has been confirmed by GRRM.  So the fact that Hodor only says that means this happened in his past.

It is all being set up for Bran to be the most powerful seer of all time.  The theory of him actually being several of the legendary Brans makes my eyes roll.  I sincerely hope it turns out to be false.

As for Shireen, I think it would have happened differently in the books but she would have still be burned.  But I think it would have been more complex and less rushed.  Shame we'll probably never find out.

You're probably right on wishful thinking but the time paradox alone on Hodor doesn't make sense. And with how GRRM writes now to explain everything in great detail ... he would never be able to do it. This is my biggest issue with that. 
Shireen at least GRRM can explain in the books instead of having it this weird snap decision, while I may not like it, I understand GRRM can at least get there eventually in the story. The Hodor thing, there is no way... not in any logical sense at least..

17 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

Shireen's fate is going to happen completely differently.

Shireen is at Castle Black, hundreds of miles away from her father.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Shireen's fate is going to happen completely differently.

Shireen is at Castle Black, hundreds of miles away from her father.

So you don't think she would've been burnt alive in the books?

And you don't think Stannis was going to ever make it back to Castle Black in the books?

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, btfu806 said:

You're probably right on wishful thinking but the time paradox alone on Hodor doesn't make sense. And with how GRRM writes now to explain everything in great detail ... he would never be able to do it. This is my biggest issue with that. 
Shireen at least GRRM can explain in the books instead of having it this weird snap decision, while I may not like it, I understand GRRM can at least get there eventually in the story. The Hodor thing, there is no way... not in any logical sense at least..

I'm not sure that would have been the case.  It would be explained via a Bran POV, in a similar way to Bran's other visions.

I had doubts about D&D following GRRM's main purpose with his story. Or more humbly, what I believe is GRRM purpose. But after last season, I believe D&D will join GRRM in one thing at least: The Iron Throne and the Kings and Queens are what made the people suffer and die, generation after generation. The Iron Throne will be destroyed and replaced by some more humble lordship. A Lord like a Commander of the NW, or like Mance Rayder and Doran Martell, protecting his people rather than sending them in wars that are not theirs. Only for the king's own advantage.

What I would not want is someone sitting on the IT, with the perspective of another bloodshed in 20 or 100 years. I believe gods exist in this world. And they would not ask such a sacrifice, for so long, for only 20 years of peace.

Two endings, guaranteed not to happen;

They all lived happily-ever-after

It was all a dream

Also, put me down as against the Zombie Apocalypse.  I know that Zombies are really popular now, just as a decade back it was vampires, but yes, if they win then all the rest of the story makes no sense and was just a colossal waste of time.

Another I would hate is that after the final fight the camera zooms out to two gamers who turn to one another and say "that was fun, what should we play now?"

Oh, and Sansa marries the Hound or she continues her marriage with Tyrion.  Or Arya marries Jon.

Archived