Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

I watched a bunch of Band of Brothers episodes yesterday with my mom. It’s kind of a tradition we do every year when HBO plays it on Memorial Day. It’s funny seeing Tom Hardy(and others)that young, he looks like he’s about 16 in it.

So has anyone seen the American version of Martyrs? I’m assuming it’s as horrid as the reviews say. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched a bunch of Band of Brothers episodes yesterday with my mom. It’s kind of a tradition we do every year when HBO plays it on Memorial Day. It’s funny seeing Tom Hardy(and others)that young, he looks like he’s about 16 in it.

So has anyone seen the American version of Martyrs? I’m assuming it’s as horrid as the reviews say. 

I'm due for a rewatch. I did a rewatch of The Pacific about two months ago.

I'm still waiting for Spielberg's miniseries about the Mighty Eighth.

I've got Amazon Prime back. I've decided the best way to do it with streaming services is to have it for a month, get rid of it and let some content build up before paying for another month. 

So far I've watched the latest series of Bosch and Sneaky Pete. I enjoyed both of them but probably not quite as much the previous series.

Spoiler

Bosch felt like it had a bit too much going on. The guy who murdered Bosch's mum was also sneaking through tunnels to gun down prominent lawyers? Also I though the whole Korea Town Killer thing was going to amount to more and his ex wife was shot in front of him. It's a lot.

Sneaky Pete just suffered a bit from the main bad guy not being as compelling as Bryan Cranston.

Other than that I've started Halt and Catch Fire.

Still feeling crushed on a weekly basis that it isn't possible to binge The Bridge S4. It's like I have to discover afresh every week that there isn't another episode to watch until the following week.

Had a day of rest on the sofa watching S2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I just find it really 'easy viewing', also really enjoy the humour.

ETA: AND the actress from Hot Fuzz is fucking brilliant in it, lots of full on hammy performance and visual humour, but also lots of nice subtle little touches where she adds to scenes without really 'doing' anything. <3

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Re-watching Arrested Development ahead of the (probably bad) fifth season.  I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching this show.

"I'm an ideas man, Michael.  I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain."

I enjoyed the season four remix quite a bit. I don't think it was as good as the first three, but still quite good.  I just started season five, the five years in between is very noticeable, but episode one was fun.

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I haven't seen BoB before, but caught a few episodes yesterday. I am absolutely going to binge it once I get some other things off of the books! 

27 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I enjoyed the season four remix quite a bit. I don't think it was as good as the first three, but still quite good.  I just started season five, the five years in between is very noticeable, but episode one was fun.

Yeah gonna watch the remix before I do the new season.  Just started season three of the re-watch.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I haven't seen BoB before, but caught a few episodes yesterday. I am absolutely going to binge it once I get some other things off of the books! 

Nice, you will not be disappointed.

I’m gonna start Dark again. I got sidetracked a few months back for whatever reason when I began it. I will complete it this time.

28 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The Pacific came later and is beautiful to look at; really stunning shots and fighting scenes.  But the stories aren't quite as good.

You should watch it again.

'Cause ya wrong!

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Well, are you saying they're better than what's in BoB?  Cause that's all I'm saying.

Although:

Reveal hidden contents

The arcs of the two shows are so different.  BoB is about one large battalion, so it's a bigger cast of characters, and they're sort of together from beginning to end a la the show's title.

The Pacific is quite different in that we get three principals each with their own story and we get to know those three principals very well, perhaps in a more intimate way.  I can see how this is more appealing to some, I just like the first better

No, I'm saying BoB is not better than tP, and as you note they are extremely different stories.  Having watched each 6+ times, I have a hard time saying which one I enjoy more.  tP is without a doubt a more brutal watching experience, and that can be off-putting the first a couple of times through.  Watching Leckie's, Sledge's, and Basilone's stories unfold is simply fantastic.  I can understand why some prefer the more cohesive narrative of BoB, but for me it's way too close to choose.  Do yourself a favor and watch them both again (and again).

Finished season 5 of Arrested Development and it was fun, but

that was it?  Is there a part two coming or has it already been renewed for a 6th season?  Michael's and George-Michael's reunion in the hallway was laugh out loud funny.  Unfortunately I did prefer the season 4 remix to this.  Part of that might have been the length.

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Finished season 5 of Arrested Development and it was fun, but

Reveal hidden contents

that was it?  Is there a part two coming or has it already been renewed for a 6th season?  Michael's and George-Michael's reunion in the hallway was laugh out loud funny.  Unfortunately I did prefer the season 4 remix to this.  Part of that might have been the length.

Yeah, it's only the 1st half of the season. For whatever reason Netflix is doing that with AD and Kimmy Schmidt this year.

14 hours ago, matt b said:

Yeah, it's only the 1st half of the season. For whatever reason Netflix is doing that with AD and Kimmy Schmidt this year.

That's very good to hear.  I can understand them doing it for a high profile show like AD, but really weird that they would do that for Kimmy Schmidt. 

On 5/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, matt b said:

THanks for the heads up, had no idea they had done that with Kimmy Schmidt. I was going to start it tonight, may wait until the whole season is out later in the year. I either like weekly watching or binge the whole season, can’t get away with splitting like this, it bugs me

(totally unrelated, iOS is infuriating with its autocomplete feature turning perfectly serviceable words into three separate words that then read as total nonesense)

I watched Annihilation last night. Overall I really liked it. The acting was solid, it was well directed and the cinematography was excellent. I would absolutely recommend this film to anyone who has shown any interest in it. The one thing I’d qualify though is that the trailer makes it seem like there’s going to be more action than there actually is in the film.

That said, I have two big gripes about the film:

Spoiler

First, I hated how it tells you at the beginning that everyone else who went into the shimmer is dead. That took a lot of the suspense away.

Second, the ending is a minor plot hole. They know “Kane” isn’t a human due to the story Lena told them. They would have immediately destroyed him once they got that information. I’m also a little confused about how Lena got infected. She killed whatever the monster was, and there were no signs that she got infected unless going into the shimmer itself infects you.

Still watching Colony. First two seasons were ok, alien invasion, occupation, collaborators etc...  This season has taken a bit of a twist and after the last episode went to a very dark place. Have to say this is moving up my list a little if this keeps up.

Hereditary comes out on Friday here in the states and it’s been getting rave reviews. I’m pretty excited for it so I’ve been watching some of my favorite horror/thriller movies to get in the mood, so to speak.

I watched Kill List last night with the subtitles on. I feel like I missed a lot of the conversations in previous views because of the strong accents. That movie has some brutal fucking scenes in it but I love it. Dolorous Edd has a little scene in it too.

Next up is The Blackcoat’s Daughter

I watched Dunkirk which I thought was a very well made film and extremely tense throughout. I now regret not seeing it when it was out at the cinema, it seems like it would have been very well suited to the big screen. Initially I was a bit unsure whether cutting back and forth between the three timelines was really necessary, but I think by the end Nolan does make it work and I don't think the same story would really have worked as well as a linear narrative.

Archived