Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, I'm seeing it compared to The Exorcist....but I am super jaded by reviews.  Everyone said The Conjuring was scary?  Like what? 

Yup. Horror movie hype is really tough to gauge and most of the time just silly. Every time I see that a film is supposed to be the scariest of the decade or that it can’t be unseen etc., I just laugh and hope it’s somewhat decent.

Although A24 hyped up movies are usually a hit with me so I’m hoping that trend continues... and I really love The Exorcist. 

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yup. Horror movie hype is really tough to gauge and most of the time just silly. Every time I see that a film is supposed to be the scariest of the decade or that it can’t be unseen etc., I just laugh and hope it’s somewhat decent.

Although A24 hyped up movies are usually a hit with me so I’m hoping that trend continues... and I really love The Exorcist. 

I can't keep track of who all I've rec'd this book to around here, but if you haven't already, read Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts.

Watched Brian De Palma’s Blow Out. Good movie. I always see Tarantino mention it as one of his favorites so I’ve been meaning to see it for a while. Probably the best thing I’ve seen John Travolta in other than Pulp Fiction. 

So Hereditary was very good. It starts out as a slow burn family drama with some shocking moments thrown in, and the last half hour or so it gets pretty crazy and intense. I definitely wish I hadn’t watched the trailers for this one because some of the more deranged moments were shown at some point. 

I feel that this will be way less polarizing than The Witch as it’s definitely a horror movie at its core. Just be prepared for the slow burn. It’s also a movie that will be enjoyable to rewatch as there is clues/hints throughout. 

Spoiler

That sequence at the end was absolutely nuts. The two people I was with didn’t even see the mom chilling up in the corner of the son’s room before she crawled in the air out of there. I barely saw her too but the camera sat there for a bit and she started to come into focus. Then when she was banging her head on the attic door, that part freaked me out.

I was surprised that the director chose to have everything explained at the way end. It was actually kind of refreshing. Hail King Paimon!

50 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

So Hereditary was very good. It starts out as a slow burn family drama with some shocking moments thrown in, and the last half hour or so it gets pretty crazy and intense. I definitely wish I hadn’t watched the trailers for this one because some of the more deranged moments were shown at some point. 

I feel that this will be way less polarizing than The Witch as it’s definitely a horror movie at its core. Just be prepared for the slow burn. It’s also a movie that will be enjoyable to rewatch as there is clues/hints throughout. 

Reveal hidden contents

That sequence at the end was absolutely nuts. The two people I was with didn’t even see the mom chilling up in the corner of the son’s room before she crawled in the air out of there. I barely saw her too but the camera sat there for a bit and she started to come into focus. Then when she was banging her head on the attic door, that part freaked me out.

I was surprised that the director chose to have everything explained at the way end. It was actually kind of refreshing. Hail King Paimon!

Not clicking on the spoiler yet, but that’s good to hear. I’m probably seeing it next weekend. 

I watched Atomic Blonde. I thought Charlize Theron was good in the lead role and there were some good fight scenes in the film, but the plot wasn't anything special and I felt like it tied itself in knots at the end trying to put in too many twists.

I was trying to find a movie like Heat (possibly my all time favorite movie) and Netflix listed Body of Lies as a movie like it. It was okay I guess. I've seen this before -- in fact it's almost a carbon copy of Spy Game but not as good. I just didn't get invested in the characters and I liked the culmination in Spy Game better. I still have a crime drama fix to satisfy so might try American Heist on Netflix next.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched Atomic Blonde. I thought Charlize Theron was good in the lead role and there were some good fight scenes in the film, but the plot wasn't anything special and I felt like it tied itself in knots at the end trying to put in too many twists.

HOW DARE YOU!?! FLAY YOURSELF AT ONCE, FOOL! 

I liked the movie and so anyone else who has less than absolute praise is a toolbar. You hear that? YOUR3 A TUULBAAAAAG

11 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I was trying to find a movie like Heat (possibly my all time favorite movie) and Netflix listed Body of Lies as a movie like it. It was okay I guess. I've seen this before -- in fact it's almost a carbon copy of Spy Game but not as good. I just didn't get invested in the characters and I liked the culmination in Spy Game better. I still have a crime drama fix to satisfy so might try American Heist on Netflix next.

If you haven't already watched American Gangster (2007), this might fill your crime drama need.  It's excellent fictionalized real crime.  Great cast and writing.  It too is currently streaming on netflix. I have re-watched it three times since it was released, the first time in a theater.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:38 PM, williamjm said:

I watched Dunkirk which I thought was a very well made film and extremely tense throughout. I now regret not seeing it when it was out at the cinema, it seems like it would have been very well suited to the big screen. 

Yeah it was made to be seen in theaters as a cinematic experience.  Particularly, the sound mixing and editing was intentionally supposed to disorient the viewer to make the film more immersive, but watching it at home it's more just annoying you can't hear any of the dialogue.

On 6/4/2018 at 7:05 PM, Marko Antonivic said:

Honestly second half of season one is pretty solid imo. Plus preacher Boyd is fucking hilarious

From about episode 10 of season 1 through season 2 is one of my favorite stretches of any TV show ever.  The later seasons are still pretty good, but you don't beat the Crowder/Givens/Bennett family drama - with Margo Martindale as Mags (and Jeremy Davies as Dickie!) in season 2.

On 6/6/2018 at 5:25 PM, Zorral said:

Scorsese's films only improve as time goes on. 

Bar none, the film I consistently like more and more the more times I see it is Gangs of New York.

13 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Between Ridley Scott, Dicaprio, and Crowe - not to mention the film was based on the very (and much more) interesting book by David Ignatius and adapted by William Monahan (who's got a pretty damn good resume himself) - the fact Body of Lies was so incredibly mediocre is kind of amazing.

14 hours ago, WarGalley said:

The Town is pretty good as far as bank robbery movies go. Nothing comes close to Heat though. 

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Disaster Artist is on Amazon Prime so I'm going to check that out.

Garden State and Napoleon Dynamite were on HBO today so I spent a morning with a decidedly 2004-ish indie flavor. 

I love GS. Natalie Portman may be my number one all-time movie crush in that film.

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Garden State and Napoleon Dynamite were on HBO today so I spent a morning with a decidedly 2004-ish indie flavor.

Yeah I watched Garden State on HBO in the wee hours one night a week or so ago too.  Always liked it, despite the fact I loathe Zach Braff.

22 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Not clicking on the spoiler yet, but that’s good to hear. I’m probably seeing it next weekend. 

Hereditary has received a surprisingly low D+ CinemaScore, even as the new film has received many positive reviews from critics. The film, which opened in theaters on June 8, currently ranks at an extremely high 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The general consensus among critics is that the film is a unique and effective horror film. However, audiences think the film is a dud.

That is bizarre, critics hailing it as the new Exorcist, audiences giving it a D? 

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Between Ridley Scott, Dicaprio, and Crowe - not to mention the film was based on the very (and much more) interesting book by David Ignatius and adapted by William Monahan (who's got a pretty damn good resume himself) - the fact Body of Lies was so incredibly mediocre is kind of amazing.

I did see Body of Lies when it originally came out but I'd struggle to tell you anything about it now, it's not a very memorable film.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Town is pretty good as far as bank robbery movies go. Nothing comes close to Heat though. 

I felt The Town was definitely trying very hard to be Heat. It's not as good as Heat, but I still liked it.

I really enjoyed Inside Man as a heist movie, although it feels a bit far-fetched in comparison to Heat.

43 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Hereditary has received a surprisingly low D+ CinemaScore, even as the new film has received many positive reviews from critics. The film, which opened in theaters on June 8, currently ranks at an extremely high 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The general consensus among critics is that the film is a unique and effective horror film. However, audiences think the film is a dud.

That is bizarre, critics hailing it as the new Exorcist, audiences giving it a D? 

I can think of a few reasons why audiences rated it this bad, but some would spoil things. The overhype doesn’t help it out. It’s also not your run-of-the-mill horror movie with cheap scares and fun, this movie relies on atmosphere and a sense of dread throughout. It’s long and you have to pay attention, which that alone makes it not a crowd pleaser.

Also another big reason I feel people wouldn’t like this is because.....( MAJOR SPOILER- do not read if any interest in seeing Hereditary)

Spoiler

Evil wins in the end. King Paimon is one of the 8 kings of hell and him and his demon cult wins.

ETA: But what do I know? I loved it and the more I think about it and read about, the more I want to go rewatch it. I’m really interested to hear more opinions about it on this forum though. The 2 people I saw it with loved it also.

21 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

So it sounds a but like The Witch then? People who enjoy films that make them think and ask questions enjoyed it, people who wanted it to be a switch off your brain horror film claimed it was 'overrated'.

Archived