Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

20 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm desperately trying to watch the Blade Runner reboot, but it just does not hold my attention.  It feels really plodding.  Am on my third failed attempt:(

I heard similar complaints from colleagues. It never happened while I watched it. Although I did watch it at the cinema which means I can't check my phone, talk to people or be otherwise distracted. It'll be interesting to see how I get on with a home viewing.

I started watching "the leftovers" yesterday and im wondering why the hell it took me so long? Probably all the lukewarm reviews initially of it being overly melancholy and plodding? But with the benefit of watching at my own pace I'm having no such issue and finding the premise and exploration fascinating. I have to admit I recall thinking "2% that's not that big a deal" but I totally missed the point. It's not about an apocalypse, it's about 2% of the world disappearing and their being no apparent explanation other than "god did it". That seems to be the unnerving thing, mankind being returned to being at the mercy of something unfathomable. Moreso if you think you missed out on the rapture. And the normal grief if a missing person but on a global scale. I'm hooked.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I heard similar complaints from colleagues. It never happened while I watched it. Although I did watch it at the cinema which means I can't check my phone, talk to people or be otherwise distracted. It'll be interesting to see how I get on with a home viewing.

I started watching "the leftovers" yesterday and im wondering why the hell it took me so long? Probably all the lukewarm reviews initially of it being overly melancholy and plodding? But with the benefit of watching at my own pace I'm having no such issue and finding the premise and exploration fascinating. I have to admit I recall thinking "2% that's not that big a deal" but I totally missed the point. It's not about an apocalypse, it's about 2% of the world disappearing and their being no apparent explanation other than "god did it". That seems to be the unnerving thing, mankind being returned to being at the mercy of something unfathomable. Moreso if you think you missed out on the rapture. And the normal grief if a missing person but on a global scale. I'm hooked.

Welcome to the club and enjoy the ride. The Leftovers is a wonderful series. And it ended on a high not, they actually stuck the landing.

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Caught the first two episodes of Band of Brothers. Simply amazing. I don't know how I've never watched it before, given my love of war movies. 

Another great series. I'm about due for a rewatch during the summer tv drought.

On 6/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, Cas Stark said:

I'm desperately trying to watch the Blade Runner reboot, but it just does not hold my attention.  It feels really plodding.  Am on my third failed attempt:(

It doesn't get better. If you aren't hooked right away forget about it. I was not happy when I saw it at the movies.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Caught the first two episodes of Band of Brothers. Simply amazing. I don't know how I've never watched it before, given my love of war movies. 

Damn good series.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

The Leftovers is a really good show, touches on a lot of different levels.

So I had a little time to kill yesterday morning and $5 burning a hole in my pocket so I went to the movies, nothing I really wanted to see so I picked Upgrade.  It's a cross between a tech movie and an action flick. Reminded me of like if Black Mirror and Crank had a baby this would be it. It wasn't bad, it wasn't especially good either but if you like Black Mirror then this may interest you. 

I started watching The Fall on Netflix. It’s pretty good. Nice to see Scully in a different role. I’m also like 3 episodes into Dark and enjoying it, and also loving the score to this. It really fits the freaky atmosphere.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

:thumbsup:

Posted in the wrong thread initially (in my defence, someone else bumped it first!)

Watched Kimmy Schmidt season 4 (part 1) and thought it was very good. I appreciated that the writers decided to focus on abuse in light of all the Hollywood scandals. Imo they handled it tastefully without feeling crass/exploitative

now looking for something to scratch my comedy itch. I might rewatch GLOW since the trailer for season 2 came out and got me all eager to watch

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Watched Kimmy Schmidt season 4 (part 1) and thought it was very good. I appreciated that the writers decided to focus on abuse in light of all the Hollywood scandals. Imo they handled it tastefully without feeling crass/exploitative

I was a fan of the first two seasons but couldn't make it into the third season very far.  Was going to try again eventually but wondering if I should just skip to season 4?

Watched Star Trek Beyond the other day for the first time since it was in theaters.  Man, I really love that film.  Definitely my favorite of the three new ones.  Was never a trekkie - probably watched some New Generation when I was a kid, but have a very limited knowledge of the TV shows and the original movies.  But that shit was great.  They should have Simon Pegg write all their movies, characterization and fun up the wahoo.

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I was a fan of the first two seasons but couldn't make it into the third season very far.  Was going to try again eventually but wondering if I should just skip to season 4?

I initially thought S3 was a lot weaker but I recently rewatched the whole series before season 4 and found it a lot better than I remember. I would perhaps give it another go, but I certainly think you could get away with jumping into Season 4...there are probably adequate recaps out there that would get you up to speed

On 6/12/2018 at 12:23 PM, dbunting said:

So I had a little time to kill yesterday morning and $5 burning a hole in my pocket so I went to the movies . . . 

A movie ticket for $5?  That's, well, unbelievable!  At least where I live.  Another reason I hardly ever watch anything in a theater now.  Hardly anything is worth 16.99 - 17.99, plus the hassle of other people and their phones and their manners.

18 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A movie ticket for $5?  That's, well, unbelievable!  At least where I live.  Another reason I hardly ever watch anything in a theater now.  Hardly anything is worth 16.99 - 17.99, plus the hassle of other people and their phones and their manners.

I think I paid $5.71 for Avengers here in Denver. The theater I go to gives a slight discount on their matinee pricing if it's the first showing of the day.

Our theaters do that too, but it's only down to $7 for the first show of the day.

I really do think more people would go to movies in the theater if the tickets were more like $7 or $8 instead of almost $15.  Even when I go to the theater I always go to the discount show.  

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

matinee until noon, then it's $7 until 4pm or 5pm then full price, mortgage your house. And.....if you are a rewards member you get free popcorn on Tuesdays.

Archived