Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

Due to a rec I made above in this thread, I just re-watched American Gangster (2008) for maybe the fourth time. This time the dvd* provided the extended version, so I went for it.

This film not only held up but the extended version didn't slow down anything.

------------------

* I'd thought American Gangster was available streaming from netflix, but no, not now -- now it's dvd only (I have both services -- as well as amazon prime, which so far isn't giving me much that netflix hasn't).

Finished my rewatch of 12 Monkeys, season 3 is so freaking good, and from the early reviews it sounds like season 4 will be even better.  Episode 9 is phenomenal, and 10 might be just as good.  One thing I noticed this time

the kid playing young Cole was the same kid playing the young "Witness" who gassed the tent.

Jennifer has such an amazing arc throughout the series, and I know it will be just as good in the final season.

What with the final scene of the season and all.

I did have to sign up for a free month of Hulu to stream it - other than The Handmaid's Tale what should I check out on there while I have it?  Is Future Man any good?

21 hours ago, Copache said:

Just binged through Brockmire up until the most recent episode of its current season. 

I just started watching this last night and holy shit the first episode is hilarious.  Probably one of the funniest first episodes of a sitcom that I've ever watched.  Definitely didn't expect it to be so vulgar either (and not in a bad way).

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Watching a few episodes of Bourdain's Parts Unknown on Netflix after reading so many amazing tributes this past week.  Totally regretting that I didn't watch this show more, and if Netlix is to be believed they're only putting this out there for a few days.  Wish I could binge the entire show.  Every episode has gems in it.  Recognize that I'm extremely late to the party.

Yeah it's a great show. I watched some of the South American episodes before travelling to Chile earlier this year. Visited the best sandwich place in Santiago on the back of one of his recommendations :thumbsup:.

As for recently watched: I finally finished Fargo Season 1. Thought it was fantastic, but I'll probably have a break before watching the next two seasons. I might watch Blue Planet II next. 

6 hours ago, Paxter said:

Yeah it's a great show. I watched some of the South American episodes before travelling to Chile earlier this year. Visited the best sandwich place in Santiago on the back of one of his recommendations :thumbsup:.

As for recently watched: I finally finished Fargo Season 1. Thought it was fantastic, but I'll probably have a break before watching the next two seasons. I might watch Blue Planet II next. 

I love S1 of Fargo but for the life of me just couldn’t get into seasons 2 and 3 in the same way. And i know Most seem to think S2 was superior(though I think most also felt S3 was weaker).

Decided to rewatch GLOW. And also Dont Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23, which I’m loving

I love the Dynasty reboot.  Inever saw the first version, or any of those other trashy tv night time soap / melodrama rich people fantasy series like Dallas, but it probably doesn't matter. The only thing I've seen as bonkers as Dynasty is The Magicians, though it's bonkers in a quite different mode, its manner isn't really as different as one might think.  :lol:

On 6/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, Ramsay B. said:

So Hereditary was very good. It starts out as a slow burn family drama with some shocking moments thrown in, and the last half hour or so it gets pretty crazy and intense. I definitely wish I hadn’t watched the trailers for this one because some of the more deranged moments were shown at some point. 

I feel that this will be way less polarizing than The Witch as it’s definitely a horror movie at its core. Just be prepared for the slow burn. It’s also a movie that will be enjoyable to rewatch as there is clues/hints throughout. 

Hide contents

That sequence at the end was absolutely nuts. The two people I was with didn’t even see the mom chilling up in the corner of the son’s room before she crawled in the air out of there. I barely saw her too but the camera sat there for a bit and she started to come into focus. Then when she was banging her head on the attic door, that part freaked me out.

I was surprised that the director chose to have everything explained at the way end. It was actually kind of refreshing. Hail King Paimon!

So I saw this earlier tonight, and I think it’s amazing. Best horror movie I’ve seen in years. It takes a lot to give me the creeps, but this one literally gave me chills once or twice. Totally fine with the comparisons to some of the true horror classics like Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist. Hype well deserved. 

8 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

I'm actually way overdue to do Fargo S1 which I did not see when it came out.  I've seen 2 and 3.  Without spoilers I feel like there's something of a consensus that S3 was the weakest but still good and that there's more of a debate between whether 1 or 2 was better with 2 maybe taking it.  I loved 2 and really need to see 1.  

Yup. I think I like season 1 a tiny bit more than 2 because of Billy Bob, but both are excellent. Season 3 was decent but disappointing.

I saw Upgrade the other day and enjoyed it. I think someone here said it was like a Black Mirror episode and I definitely got that vibe. 

I really like Logan Marshall Green too. Along with being good in this he’s been awesome in everything else I’ve seen him in- Quarry(still sour about this),The Invitation, Devil. I won’t count Prometheus because his character was annoying as hell in it.

I finally got through Blade Runner 2049, and I should have seen it in the theater.  I can see though, why it wasn't a hit.  Its really, really slow, and I say this as someone who has seen the original many times and loves it.  I also wonder about making Gossling's character a replicant, I see why from a story perspective it works well, but as a viewer, it means that the main character is extremely flat at all times...which makes an already slow movie feel slower....his character is at all times more flat than even the other replicants, who show more emotion than he does. 

On 6/14/2018 at 2:51 AM, Paxter said:

The same happened to me. I loved the first season, but I haven't started the second one yet (third one is not available on Netflix yet I think). I'm starting it as soons as I finish Casa de Papel season 1.

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yup. I think I like season 1 a tiny bit more than 2 because of Billy Bob, but both are excellent. Season 3 was decent but disappointing.

I saw Upgrade the other day and enjoyed it. I think someone here said it was like a Black Mirror episode and I definitely got that vibe. 

I really like Logan Marshall Green too. Along with being good in this he’s been awesome in everything else I’ve seen him in- Quarry(still sour about this),The Invitation, Devil. I won’t count Prometheus because his character was annoying as hell in it.

Logan Marshall Green was good in Damnation as well. Too bad it was cancelled after one season, just like Quarry.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:31 AM, Zorral said:

If you haven't already watched American Gangster (2007), this might fill your crime drama need.  It's excellent fictionalized real crime.  Great cast and writing.  It too is currently streaming on netflix. I have re-watched it three times since it was released, the first time in a theater.

Yeah, I've seen it and I did enjoy it but it's a different type of movie.

On 6/10/2018 at 1:27 PM, williamjm said:

I did see Body of Lies when it originally came out but I'd struggle to tell you anything about it now, it's not a very memorable film.

I felt The Town was definitely trying very hard to be Heat. It's not as good as Heat, but I still liked it.

I really enjoyed Inside Man as a heist movie, although it feels a bit far-fetched in comparison to Heat.

Yeah, I fully expect to forget about most of Body of Lies other than DiCaprio and Crowe were in it.

The Town was most certainly trying to be Heat or at least be in homage to it, but Jon Hamm was not depicted as the intelligent and on-the-prowl detective that Pacino's character in Heat was. That was the biggest flaw in the movie and kept it from being great instead of good. The cat and mouse, mano a mano chase just wasn't there. I suppose the crimelord florist could have also played a similar but different foil to Affleck's character, but they didn't really do that either.

Inside Man was a little too safe and gimmicky for me.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:45 AM, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

You seen Infernal Affairs? Not quite as good as Heat but still well good.

Definitely on my list and will eventually get to it when it becomes available to me. I've always been curious if knowing the plot toThe Departed will detract from my experience.

I saw Ocean's 8  in theater today. It was entertaining for the first two-thirds of it, when they're pulling off the heist. The last third of it drags on too long, and feels a bit strange. The biggest problem is that despite getting some excellent actresses and famous people for the parts, they're just not very memorable - they don't interact too much with each other, there's not much personal conflict or anything to make them memorable beyond their parts in the scheme, etc. I don't remember the names of all the protagonists in the Ocean's 11 movie from 2001, but I could easily describe them and how they relate to the other characters in addition to their roles. 

It felt kind of "small" too. Maybe because they're "only" stealing a valuable necklace off of someone, not doing something ridiculously big like breaking into an impenetrable vault involving an EMP, or causing fake earthquakes with a drilling machines. 

Went to see Hereditary yesterday. Got lots to say about this one so if there isn't a thread I'll start one soon.

When we got home we watched Rosemary's Baby as a sort of weird film pairing nightcap. Jesus. Unsurprisingly, I didn't sleep very well last night.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:30 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

I did have to sign up for a free month of Hulu to stream it - other than The Handmaid's Tale what should I check out on there while I have it?  Is Future Man any good?

Future Man is great. It's my wife's favorite show. I thought it was massively entertaining.

Caught two movies this weekend, one old and one new. First up was Enter the Dragon, the iconic Bruce Lee movie about a tournament on an island. I still think it's fair to argue that it's the best martial arts movie ever made. It also made Bruce Lee a mega start, whose influence is still felt today, 45 years after his untimely death. If you have not seen this movie, drop what you're doing and watch it right away. 

The second movie was the reboot of Tomb Raider. I actually like the first one, despite all it's flaws, and this one was certainly better. Alicia Viklander was great, but that's almost always the case. The plot was kind of bland, but it was certainly a lot more gritty and realistic than the previous versions. I also like how they made this movie for adults, not kids who may like the game like the previous films. Definitely worth a watch if you're looking for a decent action movie. 

I also binged the third season of Rick and Morty. It was so good, but I need to watch it again because way too much happened. 

Currently I'm hate watching S1 of Lost in Space [2018]. For a family of geniuses, the Robinsons sure do lie a lot and do stupid shit. The cast is all pretty solid, but the characters all do something each episode so dumb or clearly written in for the sake of "story" that I have to pause the show and yell like at the screen like a crazy person. Speaking of crazy people--Parker Posey as Dr. Smith is inspired casting. The robot it also pretty great. I'm currently on episode 7, and Smith & Robot are pretty much the reasons I've gotten this far. Hopefully the final act of the season improves things.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:01 AM, Cas Stark said:

I finally got through Blade Runner 2049, and I should have seen it in the theater.  I can see though, why it wasn't a hit.  Its really, really slow...

Yeah, I saw it in IMAX 3D and loved it. However, I tried to watch it on HBO the other night and didn't make it far. It's definitely one of those films you have to be in a certain mood to view.

Got to see Incredibles 2 on Fathers day and loved it.  Jack Jack stole the show for me, there were several places where I was crying with laughter.  I thought the bad guy was a little obvious, but that may have also been one of those instances where it just caught me right.

They did a good job of flipping the story on its side and having Elastigirl being the primary this time.  I hope it doesn't take them another 14 years for a sequel - and I'm not sure I want to see Jack Jack any older.

Archived