Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Decided to check out Hard Sun on Hulu.  The first two episodes have been fantastic.  Well acted, well written, and brutal as all get out.

It's great for fans of Luther. It sadly settles into psycho of the week but the finale suggests that formula will be hard to maintain if it ever gets a second season

I finally caught up with the final season of The Americans. I think it's been one of the best shows on TV in recent years and the final season continued the high quality. The finale didn't entirely go the way I was expecting it to, but I thought it was a very fitting ending for the series, and had several excellent scenes. I'm a bit sad it's over now, although I think it probably was about the right time to stop so it could finish on a high.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

It's great for fans of Luther. It sadly settles into psycho of the week but the finale suggests that formula will be hard to maintain if it ever gets a second season

It definitely has the same feel as Luther, and episodes 3 & 4 weren't nearly as good as the first two (although Richard Coyle did a great job).

Strike is on Cinemax and I've just watched the first episode of The Cuckoo's Calling. I had envisioned a young Robbie Coltrane as Cormoran Strike but I like Tom Burke. And Holliday Grainger as Robin. I've just finished listening to Career of Evil and curious/worried how that could be condensed to two hours on screen. Will find out!

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Preach!

49 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Hell I thought the original was bad, I can't imagine it getting worse

The first one wasn’t really good or bad in my view. It took a big swing at a unique idea and it landed flat, but it was enjoyable enough. I was hoping they would correct the problems with the second one, but nope, it was worse in every appreciable way, and that acting was truly dreadful. I’m starting to wonder if John Boyega was a one hit wonder. I haven’t seen him be good in anything outside of The Force Awakens.

1 minute ago, chiKanery et al. said:

The first one wasn’t really good or bad in my view. It took a big swing at a unique idea and it landed flat, but it was enjoyable enough. I was hoping they would correct the problems with the second one, but nope, it was worse in every appreciable way, and that acting was truly dreadful. I’m starting to wonder if John Boyega was a one hit wonder. I haven’t seen him be good in anything outside of The Force Awakens.

But was he actually good in that?

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Clint Eastwood's kid was acting like his face hurt.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Hell I thought the original was bad, I can't imagine it getting worse

My friend and I did a re-watch where we fast forwarded past every scene that wasn't a robot fight. Definitely the way to watch these movies. Short, easy, efficient. And you dont deal with all that dreadful dialogue.

Watched Donnie Darko the other night for the first time in years.  Love that shit.  Still have 80s music in my head.  I think what stands out for me in that movie is the dialogue.  Plus, "sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!!"

ETA:  Oh, also saw (Jackson's) King Kong, and it got me wondering - you couldn't really do a King Kong in a modern age, could you?  Like, wouldn't the people coming after him/searching the island just use drones?

1 hour ago, DMBouazizi said:

ETA:  Oh, also saw (Jackson's) King Kong, and it got me wondering - you couldn't really do a King Kong in a modern age, could you?  Like, wouldn't the people coming after him/searching the island just use drones?

Did you see Kong: Skull Island? That one takes place right at the end of the Vietnam War.

Spoiler

The island is discovered thanks to still relatively new satellite tech, but some magical permanent storm system surrounding the island is what kept it being discovered before, and it is dangerous to get to it.

For a movie set in modern times, all they would have to do is create another challenge that modern tech on its own couldn't overcome. Like, put the island in a parallel dimension, and have the characters stumble upon it. :dunno: 

19 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Did you see Kong: Skull Island? That one takes place right at the end of the Vietnam War.

Hide contents

The island is discovered thanks to still relatively new satellite tech, but some magical permanent storm system surrounding the island is what kept it being discovered before, and it is dangerous to get to it.

For a movie set in modern times, all they would have to do is create another challenge that modern tech on its own could overcome. Like, put the island in a parallel dimension, and have the characters stumble upon it. :dunno: 

Or a magnetic field that throws drones off? Plus some type of heat detection blockers....

Archived