Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

Why do I keep watching terrible movies? I watched It Came from the Desert over the weekend. I might as well have lit $6 on fire. It would have been more entertaining to watch the money burn. I also watched the remake of Friday the 13th last night. It was bad, but still enjoyable if you’re looking to turn your brain off, have a few beers and watch a crud horror film.

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched A Quiet Place and thought it was decent. It had its moments and some cool ideas, and Emily Blunt was great. It actually seemed shorter than its 90 minute run time too. I’d be down for a sequel.

I’ve been in a show lull lately. I can’t seem to get into any new ones. I have to finish Dark and The Terror but just can’t bring myself to do it. 

We really enjoyed A Quiet Place. Tight script and tense. 

I am so annoyed that I still cannot watch The Terror. This is total bullshit. :angry:

In the meantime we watched Evil Genius on Netflix, which is a four part series about the investigation of a very weird bank robbery. Just super weird case all round. Quite fascinating characters involved.

Re-watched The 13th Warrior. It must've been the early '00s when I last watched it. I had also watched in the cinema when it was first released. I was hoping for decent stroll down memory lane & also expecting whole parts of it to be cringe worthy- but it wasn't that bad. The great parts I really enjoyed, but I was still left feeling it could have been a classic, instead of just a cult favourite. I was wondering if there was a director's cut somewhere but that doesn't seem to be the case. However I did find a series of Extras interviews on Vladimir Kulich's YouTube channel which were fascinating to watch.

Also managed to catch Ant-Man and The Wasp today. Heaps of fun. Almost as good as the first. The CGI used to de-age actors doesn't always work but in this case it works a treat with Michelle Pfeiffer, Michael Douglas and even Laurence Fishburne. The movie is standalone within the recent MCU arc, however the mid-credits scene (which is quite a long scene) contains a tantilising bit of detail. 

I've been wanting to rewatch Happy Ending for quite some time now, and with it being available on Hulu I burnt through all of it in about a week.  So many laugh out loud moments. 

Now I'm onto The Handmaid's Tale, it is depressing as fuck.  Wish I would have saved some Happy Endings to break up the bleakness. 

Also enjoying the hell out of the final season of 12 Monkeys.

The Forest [Netflix] a 6 episode French murder mystery show-- is, for me anyway, quite possibly one of the most flawless and emotionally arresting seasons of whatever I've ever crushed. The characters and their arcs, the story telling, the acting.... just perfect.

Brav-fucking-o.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:35 AM, Jace, Basilissa said:

This Death of Stalin sounds like a must watch for Jace. Wasn't even on my radar.

We watched it over the weekend. It was great. Really funny and incredibly well done.

Binged The Last Kingdom while I was injured last weekend.  I really enjoyed it, but thought the first season was much better than the 2nd.  Really scratched that fantasy itch.

Wife has started watching Parks and Rec for the first time, and it's been years since I've seen it, but I forgot how good that show is.  Season 4 is quite possibly the best comedy to ever come out.  Every episode has us just dying.

I'm watching the Office at the same time, and while I know the Office came out first, it really does pale in comparison to Parks and Rec.  It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's impossible to not do side by side comparisons, especially since we're at the same spot in their respective lifecycles.

9 hours ago, aceluby said:

Binged The Last Kingdom while I was injured last weekend.  I really enjoyed it, but thought the first season was much better than the 2nd.  Really scratched that fantasy itch.

Wife has started watching Parks and Rec for the first time, and it's been years since I've seen it, but I forgot how good that show is.  Season 4 is quite possibly the best comedy to ever come out.  Every episode has us just dying.

I'm watching the Office at the same time, and while I know the Office came out first, it really does pale in comparison to Parks and Rec.  It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's impossible to not do side by side comparisons, especially since we're at the same spot in their respective lifecycles.

Biggest disappointment of not renewing my Prime video subscription was losing my ability to rewatch Parks and Rec in a continuous cycle

Sacred Games, Netflix original, went up today.  Have watched the first two episodes.  It's -- violent, very much so, in the way of Narcos.  Several lines of inquiry that go back multiple decades and involve multiple characters in multiple parts of Bombay society.  And the characters do call it Bombay, not Mumbai.  Though, mostly, they refer to specific neighborhoods and locations in and around the city including the massive trash-dump sites.  This is why we would watch -- Bombay is not only the location but a primary character across decades, the same decades of the the gangsters, who are always the same whatever historical era, whatever language, whatever geographical locations.  Stupid evil greedy thugs, no matter what their back story is as abused children in which ever country.

I watched Seven Psycopaths. I liked it but not as much as In Bruges, partly because I didn't find the story as tight. Sam Rockwell is great. Christopher Walken's dialogue is at it's peak Christopher Walken.

Also watched the first season of Goliath on Amazon. Very good legal drama in the vein of House of Cards. Deadbeat drunk and brilliant lawyer, Billy Bob Thornton takes on his old firm and their boss in William Hurt. William Hurt in particular is great. This is a David E. Kelley production so you get some character dynamics that feel like they belong on network television but instead have found themselves in a greater level production.  The season as a whole wraps up fairly nicely though the final confrontation was a little anticlimactic given it's buildup, and I didn't find the final legal outcome very convincing. The second season appears to have gotten near universal reviews as being a dumpster fire so I think I'll stop watching here.

Watched the first two eps of The Forest.  Jesus H Christ. It's another of these spectacularly unprofessional policing shows, where it's simply not realistic that anyone could be allowed to break so many fucking rules whilst still keeping their job.

12 minutes ago, Isis said:

Watched the first two eps of The Forest.  Jesus H Christ. It's another of these spectacularly unprofessional policing shows, where it's simply not realistic that anyone could be allowed to break so many fucking rules whilst still keeping their job.

So in other words it's a good show?

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

So in other words it's a good show?

Based on my singular complaint above - no, it isn't. It's annoying to watch simply for that reason alone (much like Homeland was and that's most of the reason I stopped watching that show too). In professions where following rules is so key to the job, these programmes are so far from being even a tiny bit believeable, that it makes it pointless trying to take them seriously. If you're going to be unrealistic then just go all the way in the other direction and say a big fuck you to plausability (like 24 did). You can't have it both ways.

However, that fault aside it's still an interesting story so I will continue a bit further with it.

Archived