Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

19 hours ago, dog-days said:

I opened this thread just now with the intention of mentioning Picnic at Hanging Rock. I've also been finding it very watchable. It seems as if it should be easy to mock - it's almost the French and Saunders parody of itself occasionally - but I really enjoy it. An odd magical realist mixture of Charles Dickens and Young Törless. 

You're right in the sense it dances on that fine edge of being ridiculous. A little bit like Tom Hardy's "Taboo" although that often tipped over into self parody.

26 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

Since I watched Jim Jeffries the Netflix is recommending all kinds of comedy to me, so I watched Eliza Shelsinger and Alie Wong.  Both I thought were solid, but Ms. Wong despite her wit and great delivery goes into bathroom humor too much for me.  

I will not be the first person to say this as I've seen plenty of the internet say it, but HBO's Succession turned out to be pretty great.  It is a bit different than what I think the early episodes and hype projected...both darker and funnier.  Actually a keeper.   

I’ve seen 3 or 4 of her specials, she’s really funny. I had tickets to go see her awhile back when she was supposed to come to my city but she ended up canceling. Twice. 

11 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Since I watched Jim Jeffries the Netflix is recommending all kinds of comedy to me, so I watched Eliza Shlesinger and Alie Wong.  Both I thought were solid, but Ms. Wong despite her wit and great delivery goes into bathroom humor too much for me.  

Either Shlesinger has cleaned up her act since I last saw her, or Wong is just filthy.  Will have to watch and find out.

Finally got around to finishing off Shackleton this weekend. I think we started it about three years ago. It's a two part dramatisation of the expedition to reach the south pole, starring Kenneth Brannagh plus a bunch of other familiar faces. It's pretty solid. But it also makes me angry all over again that I am unable to watch The Terror yet.

Saw Incredibles 2, excellent sequel and genuinely more enjoyable and memorable than at least half of the MCU films I've seen. Goes without saying at this point that the Pixar short before the film was excellent too. 

On 8/6/2018 at 10:47 AM, Isis said:

Finally got around to finishing off Shackleton this weekend. I think we started it about three years ago. It's a two part dramatisation of the expedition to reach the south pole, starring Kenneth Brannagh plus a bunch of other familiar faces. It's pretty solid. But it also makes me angry all over again that I am unable to watch The Terror yet.

Damn you BT!!!

I honestly wouldn't put it past them to search the forum, find out what shows we like and make them exclusive to BT customers. They are that evil :)

Two episodes of "the leftovers" remaining. Damn is this show depressing but magnificent in the way it does so. And also insane in such a believable manner. Obviously I'm hesitant to make any claims until the final episode but Damon Lindelof has taken what he learned on "lost" and refined it into something wonderful. Unless the last episode reveals the leftovers were the departed all along and this has just been a dream. In which case I know not to bother with his TV shows again. I think that was a large factor in why I never watched this show when it aired for fear of being burned again by a "lost" creator

Update: finished the show and this would have easily been in my top show lists every year it was out. Great ending as well

despite it actually having almost exactly the ending I'd just threatened I'd be angry if they went ahead and did it

and demonstrates how there can be mystery a plenty if that never becomes the most important aspect of a show and while it got really weird in places the characters always came first. 

16 hours ago, red snow said:

Update: finished the show and this would have easily been in my top show lists every year it was out. Great ending as well

Reveal hidden contents

despite it actually having almost exactly the ending I'd just threatened I'd be angry if they went ahead and did it

Of course, that assumes Nora was telling the truth and not lying through her teeth. But in that moment we were all wanting to believe, just like Kevin.

2 minutes ago, matt b said:

Of course, that assumes Nora was telling the truth and not lying through her teeth. But in that moment we were all wanting to believe, just like Kevin.

Yeah, truth Vs belief was a big part of the show. It was strange how a show with such a fantastical premise always had you thinking everything else might be a delusion/coincidence.

Watched the new Mission Impossible this weekend and have to say it was better than expected. There are some of the normal spy movie plot holes but all in all it was a very entertaining movie.

Side note, I couldn't help staring at Cavils mustache and thinking of Superman.

I just saw that starting in 2019 the Oscars will add a new category, popular film. Basically an Oscar for a blockbuster film that normally gets shunned because it's not artistic enough. Will be interesting to see this.

18 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I just saw that starting in 2019 the Oscars will add a new category, popular film. Basically an Oscar for a blockbuster film that normally gets shunned because it's not artistic enough. Will be interesting to see this.

Good. Given that these films are in part bankrolling these studies, they deserve their own recognition. 

Finished the third and final season of The Tunnel starring Stephen Dillane and Clemence Poesy. This final season was a bit rough. The strength of the series was always the relationship of the lead  characters, Karl and Elise, but everything else was weak. The series always had ridiculous, far-fetched and unbelievable crimes and criminals for Karl and Elise and to chase down, but this final season's was really weak.

I watched a few movies this weekend.

First up was Super Troopers 2. Good god this was an awful movie. I’m not sure there is anything redeemable about it, and worse, it makes me nervous to watch the original again. The only time I can recall feeling like that is after watching the sequel to Anchorman.

Next up was Blazing Saddles. I’m a bit confused as to why this is considered to be one of the classic comedies. The first and last ten minutes are great, but the entire middle is a snooze. I am a huge fan of Mel Brooks, but this was not his best work.

Lastly was the 1990 version of Lord of the Flies. I remember reading and then watching this when I was in junior high, and I think it holds up pretty well. It kind of felt like Apocalypse Now, but for kids. You can really feel the terror in the kids.  

1 minute ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I watched a few movies this weekend.

First up was Super Troopers 2. Good god this was an awful movie. I’m not sure there is anything redeemable about it, and worse, it makes me nervous to watch the original again. The only time I can recall feeling like that is after watching the sequel to Anchorman.

Next up was Blazing Saddles. I’m a bit confused as to why this is considered to be one of the classic comedies. The first and last ten minutes are great, but the entire middle is a snooze. I am a huge fan of Mel Brooks, but this was not his best work.

Lastly was the 1990 version of Lord of the Flies. I remember reading and then watching this when I was in junior high, and I think it holds up pretty well. It kind of felt like Apocalypse Now, but for kids. You can really feel the terror in the kids.  

Damn, we are lock step together on these. I liked Starship Troopers, I mean it was silly but still. Part 2, utter horse shit.

Never got the Blazing Saddle love. History of the World, yes, Blazing Saddles no.

Also like Lord of the Flies 1990 version. I had read the book in 7th or 8th grade and it was amazing to me. The movie for me held true to the feel of the book.

Archived