Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Watching The Affair's season 4; just about ready to drop it after the last season which was kinda dire...but I've already quite enjoyed the first two episodes. Seems to be back on form. 

9 hours ago, aceluby said:

Binged The Last Kingdom while I was injured last weekend.  I really enjoyed it, but thought the first season was much better than the 2nd.  Really scratched that fantasy itch.

Wife has started watching Parks and Rec for the first time, and it's been years since I've seen it, but I forgot how good that show is.  Season 4 is quite possibly the best comedy to ever come out.  Every episode has us just dying.

I'm watching the Office at the same time, and while I know the Office came out first, it really does pale in comparison to Parks and Rec.  It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's impossible to not do side by side comparisons, especially since we're at the same spot in their respective lifecycles.

Biggest disappointment of not renewing my Prime video subscription was losing my ability to rewatch Parks and Rec in a continuous cycle

Sacred Games, Netflix original, went up today.  Have watched the first two episodes.  It's -- violent, very much so, in the way of Narcos.  Several lines of inquiry that go back multiple decades and involve multiple characters in multiple parts of Bombay society.  And the characters do call it Bombay, not Mumbai.  Though, mostly, they refer to specific neighborhoods and locations in and around the city including the massive trash-dump sites.  This is why we would watch -- Bombay is not only the location but a primary character across decades, the same decades of the the gangsters, who are always the same whatever historical era, whatever language, whatever geographical locations.  Stupid evil greedy thugs, no matter what their back story is as abused children in which ever country.

I watched Seven Psycopaths. I liked it but not as much as In Bruges, partly because I didn't find the story as tight. Sam Rockwell is great. Christopher Walken's dialogue is at it's peak Christopher Walken.

Also watched the first season of Goliath on Amazon. Very good legal drama in the vein of House of Cards. Deadbeat drunk and brilliant lawyer, Billy Bob Thornton takes on his old firm and their boss in William Hurt. William Hurt in particular is great. This is a David E. Kelley production so you get some character dynamics that feel like they belong on network television but instead have found themselves in a greater level production.  The season as a whole wraps up fairly nicely though the final confrontation was a little anticlimactic given it's buildup, and I didn't find the final legal outcome very convincing. The second season appears to have gotten near universal reviews as being a dumpster fire so I think I'll stop watching here.

Saw Sorry to Bother You last night which was pretty awesome and will be getting a ton of attention, I figure. 

DVR'd Nirvana Unplugged over the weekend. I probably haven't seen this since I was in middle school and Cobain was still alive. It's fucking amazing.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Sharp Objects starts tonight. Really hope it turns out good. Since Westworld is over I need a replacement show. 

I thought the first episode was pretty good. 

Watched the first two eps of The Forest.  Jesus H Christ. It's another of these spectacularly unprofessional policing shows, where it's simply not realistic that anyone could be allowed to break so many fucking rules whilst still keeping their job.

12 minutes ago, Isis said:

Watched the first two eps of The Forest.  Jesus H Christ. It's another of these spectacularly unprofessional policing shows, where it's simply not realistic that anyone could be allowed to break so many fucking rules whilst still keeping their job.

So in other words it's a good show?

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Based on my singular complaint above - no, it isn't. It's annoying to watch simply for that reason alone (much like Homeland was and that's most of the reason I stopped watching that show too). In professions where following rules is so key to the job, these programmes are so far from being even a tiny bit believeable, that it makes it pointless trying to take them seriously. If you're going to be unrealistic then just go all the way in the other direction and say a big fuck you to plausability (like 24 did). You can't have it both ways.

However, that fault aside it's still an interesting story so I will continue a bit further with it.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:13 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Biggest disappointment of not renewing my Prime video subscription was losing my ability to rewatch Parks and Rec in a continuous cycle

We do this about once a year, I think Lesley and Ron is the best episode of TV ever.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

I binged all the episodes in a day,so yes,it's good.As for the complaint about breaking/not following rules,it didn't bother me at all in this show.

Now about to watch season 4 premiere of the Guy Pierce tv series Jack Irish.After that the series premiere of Sharp Objects.

A birthday party yesterday began with the guests being taken to see the new documentary, "The King," which is driven through US geography and history via Elvis's Rolls Royce.  "The King" has aspects of interest -- and controversy -- for all the members of the group, from the documentary film makers among us, the historians, the musicians and composers, the fashion and costume designers, etc.  So it worked very well at dinner at melding everyone together in conversation whether some of us were strangers to everyone but the Birthday host and wife. 

I would recommend it highly.

Posted (edited)

Succession on HBO is an absolute dumpster fire.... but it has its moments...

"I can't reveal my sources..... but it's Greg"

Edited by Martini Sigil

Finshed The Forest. Thank goodness it was only six episodes as it felt like it dragged. I enjoyed the story about Eve, although it was maybe a little bit neat and contrived. The overall story and denouement was satisfying. But the protagonist must be the worst police officer in France though.

Let me tell you what is some good TV - Bake Off The Professionals. Anyone else watch this season? That final was super dramatic. Lots of emotion. :wub: I like how the judges are objective and have integrity - when they say they like something it feels really genuine and they never hold back if they don't think something is good enough. Plus, so much drama - there is always stuff breaking and smashing and melting.

On 7/9/2018 at 8:23 PM, Martini Sigil said:

Succession on HBO is an absolute dumpster fire.... but it has its moments...

"I can't reveal my sources..... but it's Greg"

It's so weird, like you don't want any of those asshats to succeed and the entire show is built on wanting to see all of them fail.  Can you have a good show w/out any protagonist?

25 minutes ago, aceluby said:

It's so weird, like you don't want any of those asshats to succeed and the entire show is built on wanting to see all of them fail.  Can you have a good show w/out any protagonist?

I felt that way about The Sopranos but still enjoyed it.