Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

Ramsay B.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Deferentiality to Churchill can fuck right off. We are long long past the time where the UK and the Western world should be acknowledging that even by the standards of his time Churchill was a racist, imperialist shit whose vaunted commitment to freedom only applied to white people. And even then, only select white people - ask the Irish how anti-fascist the Black and Tans were. Ask the left-wing resistance in Greece who allied with the British to fight off the fascists only to see, once Greece was secure from the Nazi threat, to see themselves betrayed and sold straight back to the collaborator government again. The fact that last year saw two separate haigographies of that fucking man is infuriating.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:15 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I'm re watching Planet Earth 2 in 4k, its the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, however the snakes chasing the little iguana is still the most traumatic thing in the history of entertainment.

I have a good projector and really large screen, in my very normal sized apartment living room. It's great. Nature stuff is among my favorite things to show to guests. My girlfriend and I were stoked to start the series, until the first episode was worse to watch than anything, ever. Oh my god, neither of us would leave the room, stop the show, or look away. We just made those horrific noises that scared dogs make at a kennel. 

That episode was horrendous. Those nightmare armies of crabs walking through the forest? Then blood-stained penguins to step on your shattered soul? Jesus Joseph and Mary. We've never re-watched it. Stick with Mountains for those amazing goats, bear cubs, and adorable murderous big mountain kitties, then the best episode ever, Cities (We live in NYC).

You're right, though, Planet Earth 2 is shockingly beautiful on a quality set-up.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'll be honest, 'well gee, at least he wasn't as bad as Hitler' isn't an argument that strikes me as a very watertight defence of his character.

Ok, but his net contribution blows most people's (everyone pretty much) out of the water. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ok, but his net contribution blows most people's (everyone pretty much) out of the water. 

Unlikely. I think the Russians and Americans had rather more to do with the war eventually being won than Churchill. Not forgetting, of course, the famous adage that we won the war because our German scientists were better than their German scientists. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I dunno. There were probably some people who helped defeat the Nazis without commiting even a single genocide of their own.

7 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Unlikely. I think the Russians and Americans had rather more to do with the war eventually being won than Churchill. Not forgetting, of course, the famous adage that we won the war because our German scientists were better than their German scientists.  

The war would almost certainly have been won by those two eventually but his importance in keeping Britain free and starting the fightback shouldn't be overlooked. A lot more people would likely have been murdered if he hadn't got the machine going.

It just shouldn't be the only thing he is remembered for.

I just realized that both the Jim Jefferies Show and Drunk History are back on. Nice! Everyone should check out DH. Start with the Hamilton episode. It's amazing and Lin-Manuel Miranda is the guest. 

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Who gives a shit. He was better than the alternative.  

Anyway, watched the new Jim Jefferies Netflix special, by far his weakest one to date.  About an hour a week is all I can commit to t.v. right now. Except luke cage, my 5 month old daughter digs the soundtrack and will happily watch it without booting off. 

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I thought it was better than his last one. 

Bummer. I was going to check it out this weekend. JJ probably suffers from going out of the gate so strongly. His first two specials are among the best I've ever seen.

50 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I just realized that both the Jim Jefferies Show and Drunk History are back on.

Drunk History ends its season next week.  I've adored the show since Funny or Die - the premise encapsulates much of my life and the dude running it shares my name.  Jim Jefferies?  Meh.  Liked portions of his sets but he doesn't have what it takes to sustain a show.

I watched Jaws again the other night, which I hadn't seen in at least 15 years. It still holds up pretty well, though I realized that I really hated Richard Dreyfuss' character, which surprised me.

I also realized that the ending of the movie was completely different from what I remembered. I had remembered the end of the movie as Brody and Hooper making it back to land after the shark kills Quint, and then rallying a flotilla of fishermen who hunt down the shark at night. They force it into a cove with explosives and gasoline fires (IIRC) before killing it. I remember it so vividly too that I'm sure its the ending to a different shark movie, but I've no idea which one it could be and its driving me nuts. Maybe it was one of the Jaws sequels?

50 minutes ago, Fez said:

I watched Jaws again the other night, which I hadn't seen in at least 15 years. It still holds up pretty well, though I realized that I really hated Richard Dreyfuss' character, which surprised me.

I also realized that the ending of the movie was completely different from what I remembered. I had remembered the end of the movie as Brody and Hooper making it back to land after the shark kills Quint, and then rallying a flotilla of fishermen who hunt down the shark at night. They force it into a cove with explosives and gasoline fires (IIRC) before killing it. I remember it so vividly too that I'm sure its the ending to a different shark movie, but I've no idea which one it could be and its driving me nuts. Maybe it was one of the Jaws sequels?

In Jaws 2, if I remember correctly, Brodie gets the shark to bite a high voltage line to kill it.   Have no recollection of the end of Jaws 3.  

The only other shark movie ending I remember off hand  is The Deep Blue Sea, where they set off an explosive harpoon just as the supershark is escaping past the fence into the ocean, blowing it up.

@Fez

That isn't from any of the Jaws movies as far as I can tell. In Jaws 2, Brodie gets the shark to bite a power line on an island. Jaws 3 takes place at an amusement park and the shark doesn't die in a cave. And in Jaws 4 they kill the shark by ramming a boat through it and it explodes. It also lets out a comical roar!  Oh and Brodie's widow can sort of communicate with the shark telepathically. Great stuff man. First class movie making. And Sir Michael Caine really brought his A game! He didn't phone that one in at all.....

There's actually been a few decent shark movies put out lately. 47 Meters Down is good if you can forgive how it ends. The Shallows is good. I'd also recommend The Reef. It's probably the creepiest of the three.  

Missed an opportunity to watch that 'Death of Stalin' movie earlier this week, sorry either @Mexal or someone else whose name I cannot remember who recommended it.

But I started a rewatch of 'The Orville',

I really like it. Weak pilot, but fun series.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Missed an opportunity to watch that 'Death of Stalin' movie earlier this week, sorry either @Mexal or someone else whose name I cannot remember who recommended it.

But I started a rewatch of 'The Orville',

I really like it. Weak pilot, but fun series.

The other Bengals fan. :P

Watched an absolutely classic Friday Night Special this week on Netflix: How it Ends.

Bad acting, disasters, unconvincing plot motivations, lacklustre characters, unsatisfying conclusion - it's got everything. But I would highly recommend watching it with a couple of beers after a long week where you just need to watch something that requires no effort or thought on your part.

Archived